Note to New Members ×

Pre-season training program

Eboot

For the first time ever I am training with a focus on the forthcoming season in mind.  Having been a very competitive sportsman when younger, I got lazy as I got older.  Becoming an older father reminded me about the need to stay healthy and strong and one of the upsides of covid, for me, was a call to exercise.

I am following a consistent regimen of basic daily exercise plus 4 days a week of gym and / or cycling and, as the season get closer, starting to focus on legs.

I was wondering what programs others on the forum followed, as a build up to the start of the season?

Still doing my Burton Stretches...going on almost 8 months and still think it's legit.  Less pain going up/down stairs or difficulty getting out of chairs/couches etc.....

Also been doing "Knees Over Toes" seven Mobility Standards...obviously abbreviated to my age and ability...but got a slant board I use every morning with the routine ....really good stuff!    I think I posted a link to the  "Knees Over Toes" guy Ben Patrick introductory mobility standards...but don't see it here.....?? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Yoga.

Lululemon pants optional.

Are the only choices Lululemon or free-ballin? 😆 

I go for general whole-body strength training in the 5 to 20 rep range, close to absolute failure. The only extra that I add for alpine snowboarding is calf raises, but rolling laterally. Think of moving both knees to the right while doing a calf raise, then both knees to the left on the next. This really helps with the feet-up riding I like to do. The sides of my calves used to hurt so bad in my early season days; this fixed it. 

I should do more cardio. LOL! 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Are the only choices Lululemon or free-ballin? 😆 

I go for general whole-body strength training in the 5 to 20 rep range, close to absolute failure. The only extra that I add for alpine snowboarding is calf raises, but rolling laterally. Think of moving both knees to the right while doing a calf raise, then both knees to the left on the next. This really helps with the feet-up riding I like to do. The sides of my calves used to hurt so bad in my early season days; this fixed it. 

I should do more cardio. LOL! 

If free-balling means regular clothes, I free ball.

If I don't do yoga, I pretty much am dead by 50 days in or so. 

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This guy - Ben Patrick,  Knees Over Toes Guy Is Legit!

I've been doing his 7 mobility standards (to my ability) routine along with my Burton stretches since last spring and my knees and hips are Sooooo Much stronger!!!   

Wasn't sore ANY after my 1st day on the Mtn. Sat. Oct. 30 up at Boreal Mtn. Resort.

Check Him Out......

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, barryj said:

This guy - Ben Patrick,  Knees Over Toes Guy Is Legit!

I can't get past his presentation style. I feel like he is overselling his method. That said, I'm definitely adding some knees over toes work as my knees feel unstable in that position; in the same way that they've hurt previously. 

Awesome that his method worked for you! I hope everyone can find a wellness routine that clicks with them.