Note to New Members ×

Hard boot sole wear

Cthulhufish

I have ridden my new UPZs all of three times, and the soles are noticeably worn from walking on hard surfaces to/from the slope. At this rate, I expect to wear flat spots into the treads by the end of the season.

Is there something I'm missing? How do people get from the car to the lift and back without destroying their soles?

I walk on my hands. Just kidding: I like those little replaceable red pads that go under the fintec heels, since you can replace them every now and again. I would think this is more of a fitment issue for standard bindings than intecs tho, so I am guessing you are not on (f)intec heels?

This is especially a problem with UPZ as the toe pad screws are barely recessed and will get ground down. That, and UPZ toe pads are seriously expensive.

I use and highly recommend Ski Skootys. Much better than Cat Tracks (terrible on snowboard boot soles) and much more durable and secure than Yak Trax (which fall off when you can't retrieve them readily and then break). I've been using mine for 5 or so years, still going. Rarely fall off. Much better footing on icy sloping pavement.

Edited by teach
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, teach said:

I use and highly recommend Ski Skootys

Yes! That was the name! I had a set of those and liked them. Seriously hard to put on when wearing the boots, but stayed on. 

I lost them, and don't walk as much in my boots after the end of the Aspen sessions so I didn't replace them. 

It takes a while to get them adjusted. They need to be pretty tight to not fall off on stairs. I guess that's due to the flexible and rockered sole. Then once they're tight, they're a little hard to put on at first. It gets easier. I often put them on right after I unclip for the day, with gloves still on. A one minute job now.

Edited by teach

A little late to the party....... but at the bigger resorts where you have to walk thru the entire resort to get to the lifts I wear normal footwear from the parking lot and carry my hardboots over my shoulder, hop on the gondola or funitel and switch into my hardboots on the ride up, then stash my sneaks under one of the benches on the way out of the Tram building. Nobody wants your stinky footwear so their always there when I return at end of day.....and with Covid restrictions of only single or family units per funitel/gondola there's even more room to stretch out and switch out footwear.

Here on the icecoast at Loon Mtn. resort it's a much shorter walk to the Gondola or Quad so I just boot up at the car and tromp it across the parking lot but am already seeing the wear on the heel pads of my (New This Season) Fintecs  and what you Really have to keep an eye on is the wear on the screws that hold the pads to the fintecs!

So fyi for you fintec users,  If you wait to long to change out your fintec heel pads the wear will be below the pad and into the top of the screw and once you have worn the screw smooth It's A Major Pain In The Arse to replace!!  Not sure about wear/tear with Intec as they seem to have a permanent/non replaceable heel pad!  ...and at $58.93 per set their not cheap!

I actually keep a extra set of heel pads ($20)  and fintec replacement cable release ($35) with me in my pack that goes to the Mtn.....just in case!! 

So keep and eye on those Heel pads!  I plan to replace mine at end of season if not sooner!

https://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Fin-Tec-Replacement-Pads_p_136.html

https://upzboots.com/product-category/rcr-power-parts/page/2/

Edited by barryj

The UPZ heels are interchangeable with other Intec-compatible boots' heels. It's the toe pads that aren't and have the same problem as @barryj points out for the Fintec heels: walking grinds down the attaching screws. And the toe pads are expensive, like $60 a pair.

IMG_0859 (1).JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teach said:

The UPZ heels are interchangeable with other Intec-compatible boots' heels. It's the toe pads that aren't and have the same problem as @barryj points out for the Fintec heels: walking grinds down the attaching screws. And the toe pads are expensive, like $60 a pair.

IMG_0859 (1).JPG

plus your can ski with them.