Note to New Members ×

mounting F2 Race Titanium?

After 27 years of riding Bomber bindings, I bought a set of F2 Race Titanium for my new Donek Freecarve. So far, I can't get them to sit still when I ride.

My question is about the rubber gasket that comes with the bindings. It sits inside the circular opening for the plate. When I try to attach the bindings to the board with the gasket in place, the screws that are included won't even begin to reach and thread the insert. (Also, there is a disclaimer with the bindings that you should only use the enclosed screws to attach to the board.)

So, I removed the gasket from each bindings in order to mount the plate directly to the board. I've tried to ride it for three days now, but nothing I've done will get the plate to sit still in the binding. My front foot moves like crazy!!!!

I'm ready to throw them out already! I'm putting my old Bombers on today so I can at least enjoy riding the new board.

WTF do I do about the rubber gasket? Please advise.

If you have already pressed the center plate down into the rubber ring before trying the bolts the stack up is too tall for the fasteners you have. I have multiple sets. Some center disks are thicker than others but all need to pressed into the ring. Set the bindings on the board and use a rod to gage down to the bottom of the insert hole to quickly determine the max length of bolt. You’ll need to go shorter to compensate for the compressed profile when the bolts are tightened.

I wouldn’t ride without the ring.

The first time I mounted a pair of race titaniums, I thought the screws were too short but was eventually able to get them to engage into the inserts.  It can  definitely be a little tricky to get the center plate fully compressed into the gasket the first time.  Try really pushing down hard on the center plate while mounting it and see if you can get the screws to reach.  Once one screw engages, the rest are much easier as the rubber gasket is now compressed.  I have successfully mounted F2 race titaniums on several Doneks, so they should usually fit.  I guess it is always possible that the inserts sit lower in your board than most other Doneks, but I would give mounting them another try.  I definitely wouldn't ride without the gasket as it not only prevents the binding movement you are experiencing, but it also protects the board from damage.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone. I've had them mounted and ridden them for about two weeks now.

Here's my review of the F2 Titanium Race Bindings:

I HATE THEM! My boots move around like crazy in them, no matter how tight I crank the toe and heel pieces. Now the entire toe piece for my front foot is slipping around while my boot is in place. I took apart the entire toe assembly, dried everything out and put it back together. It still wriggles around like mad. 

I find it hard to believe that many actual racers use these bindings.

I'm back in the market for a good set of Bomber TDs.

6 hours ago, wanackmamak said:

Thanks again everyone. I've had them mounted and ridden them for about two weeks now.

Here's my review of the F2 Titanium Race Bindings:

I HATE THEM! My boots move around like crazy in them, no matter how tight I crank the toe and heel pieces. Now the entire toe piece for my front foot is slipping around while my boot is in place. I took apart the entire toe assembly, dried everything out and put it back together. It still wriggles around like mad. 

I find it hard to believe that many actual racers use these bindings.

I'm back in the market for a good set of Bomber TDs.

What boots are you using?

Aside from the boots, maybe you're having a problem I've had a couple of times with this style binding.

Is the heel or toe block moving and not holding the setting? Binding loosening when you ride? If so, check the nut (under the block) on the end of the adjusting screw that moves the blocks fore & aft. That nut can break loose if the block is backed out hard against its end point when exposing the 2 screws to remove the blocks. If this is the case, maybe use red, or strong locktight to re-affix the nut.

https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13646

8 hours ago, wanackmamak said:

I took apart the entire toe assembly, dried everything out and put it back together. It still wriggles around like mad. 

I've got Bombers, F2s, etc.

All of them have their pluses and minuses, no perfect bindings, yet.

All that said the F2 Titanium bindings are exceptionally solid.  It's still the most used binding in high level snowboard racing. Have you seen the forces the racers put on those bindings?! Hell, I'm no flyweight and I flogged a set of F2s all day today, no issues.

You're doing it wrong or it's broken.

• 10 months later...

I did the same thing yesterday. Damn near killed myself. Kept falling. Looked at bindings after a fall and back binding was pointing one way and the front binding was pointing the other way. That was when I realized I needed the rubber rings. Sore today, have a swollen thumb and pride is injured but my second day on my new Coiler should be much better.

• 1 year later...