Note to New Members ×

Thirst 9SW

Keenan

I got to demo the 9SW today.  It is a gentle giant.  195 length, 18.8 waist (or close to that).  The easiest, most forgiving big carving board I've ever ridden.  There was 1-2 inches of fresh over groomed, with low visibility.  I found myself doing a beginner run (which I would normally avoid) 4 times because it carried so much speed that I was able to link turns where normally that would slow me down too much in these conditions.  It ate up runs that had been rutted out.  It floated in 2-3 inches of fresh in a wide gully.  It was easy to skid and slow down.  As you would expect with a board of this length and width, crowds and narrow cat tracks were a little sketchy, any thing under about 10 mph. was sketchy.  But, you don't have to go 40 mph. to initiate a turn.  I straight lined a few sections and it felt completely stable with speed (as expected).  It accelerates like crazy if you let it, but you don't have to.  I was a little intimidated at first as 188 is the largest I've ever ridden, but after 2 1/2 hours non stop, I couldn't stop smiling.  

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I switched to the 9SW today when the groomers started to get choppy. It was about 42 degrees and the board absolutely drove through everything.              Mark, if you're reading this, your plan worked. I'm not giving the demo back. Bill me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

• 9 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 7:32 PM, Keenan said:

I got to demo the 9SW today.  It is a gentle giant.  195 length, 18.8 waist (or close to that).  The easiest, most forgiving big carving board I've ever ridden.  There was 1-2 inches of fresh over groomed, with low visibility.  I found myself doing a beginner run (which I would normally avoid) 4 times because it carried so much speed that I was able to link turns where normally that would slow me down too much in these conditions.  It ate up runs that had been rutted out.  It floated in 2-3 inches of fresh in a wide gully.  It was easy to skid and slow down.  As you would expect with a board of this length and width, crowds and narrow cat tracks were a little sketchy, any thing under about 10 mph. was sketchy.  But, you don't have to go 40 mph. to initiate a turn.  I straight lined a few sections and it felt completely stable with speed (as expected).  It accelerates like crazy if you let it, but you don't have to.  I was a little intimidated at first as 188 is the largest I've ever ridden, but after 2 1/2 hours non stop, I couldn't stop smiling.  

Wow. That sounds amazing.  Imma gonna have to test ride one somewhere 😍

I need some company out here. 👍  I think so far there are a total of 4 Thirsts in the northeast and I have 3 of them. @barryj doesn't count yet as he's still crunching the numbers on binding angles. The SF is MADE for this godawful frigid yet snow-deprived place.  The XC aint too shabby either.  When the stars align and Upper Standard and Kidderbrook finally open...it's 8RW time.  Wish I could try the 9SW...

57 minutes ago, Kneel said:

I need some company out here. 👍  I think so far there are a total of 4 Thirsts in the northeast and I have 3 of them. @barryj doesn't count yet as he's still crunching the numbers on binding angles. The SF is MADE for this godawful frigid yet snow-deprived place.  The XC aint too shabby either.  When the stars align and Upper Standard and Kidderbrook finally open...it's 8RW time.  Wish I could try the 9SW...

My 8rw will be here this week!(I am in MA). And seriously considering the TS 202 but want to ride the 8rw first. Had smaller boards already covered with virus and kessler 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, Kneel said:

Yo! I’m on the east coast, in dirty jersey. Mark is building a board for me this summer. Most likely an xc. I ride at Hunter. Can’t wait to give hard boots a try. 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 6:52 AM, Mr Wonton said:

Yo! I’m on the east coast, in dirty jersey. Mark is building a board for me this summer. Most likely an xc. I ride at Hunter. Can’t wait to give hard boots a try. 

🤨 I’ma have a talk with Mix Master Marky Thirsty. I told him I was to have exclusive rights to The Dirty Jerz. Maybe I’ll let this one slide so choose wisely. The XC may be the greatest board ever, but here in the NE the SF may wear the crown, definitely when pickings are slim. When Mark stops making bass guitars and you finally take delivery, we may have to ride The Fridge in East Rutherford for some pre-season to see if you’re worthy to carry this winter.  👍

• LOL 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, Kneel said:

🤨 I’ma have a talk with Mix Master Marky Thirsty. I told him I was to have exclusive rights to The Dirty Jerz. Maybe I’ll let this one slide so choose wisely. The XC may be the greatest board ever, but here in the NE the SF may wear the crown, definitely when pickings are slim. When Mark stops making bass guitars and you finally take delivery, we may have to ride The Fridge in East Rutherford for some pre-season to see if you’re worthy to carry this winter.  👍

I drive past the Fridge every day on my way to work and it makes me Thirsty. Based on all the reviews of Thirst boards and Mark, I’m sure I’m not worthy but that ain’t gonna stop me and if he sent me a bass I’d put bindings on it and take it for a spin. 

On 7/15/2021 at 3:43 AM, Mr Wonton said:

I drive past the Fridge every day on my way to work and it makes me Thirsty. Based on all the reviews of Thirst boards and Mark, I’m sure I’m not worthy but that ain’t gonna stop me and if he sent me a bass I’d put bindings on it and take it for a spin. 

Just throwing this out, if your feet are on backwards like mine, I can meet you there with my goofy SF and XC to aid in the decision process.  Truthfully there really is no decision as you will eventually have to have both.  Boots, you may be on your own unless you are M28-29ish, then I have some 325's you can use.  👍

24 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Just throwing this out, if your feet are on backwards like mine, I can meet you there with my goofy SF and XC to aid in the decision process.  Truthfully there really is no decision as you will eventually have to have both.  Boots, you may be on your own unless you are M28-29ish, then I have some 325's you can use.  👍

Damn that’s a hell of an offer! Thank you! And my feet happen to be in backwards too! I have boots but they haven’t been fitted yet. Rpz. Not sure if the fitting process is needed. When do you usually go? 

11 minutes ago, Mr Wonton said:

Damn that’s a hell of an offer! Thank you! And my feet happen to be in backwards too! I have boots but they haven’t been fitted yet. Rpz. Not sure if the fitting process is needed. When do you usually go? 

I don't.  I haven't hit rock bottom yet to ride that monstrosity, but I've heard it's not bad. Shoot me some dates in DM and we can make it happen. 👍

Do you have intec heels for the UPZ yet or your own bindings? If not I have some trusty Burton Race bindings to get'er done...

• 2 years later...

Video of my first ride on my 9sw earlier this spring. Somebody requested a video? :cool:

195cm, 18cm waist and a bigly scr.

Starts with 30 seconds of ogling the board before getting to 1st tracks carving on 2" of perfectly smooth cord over hard ice on a wide green run...

This board has been surprisingly fun in a variety of conditions. It has remarkably good edge hold ice, even if that's not the first thing I would think to use it for. I was actually surprised when I took a shorter board with Gecko style plates out after this video and got bounced around quite a bit. The ice was rough under there.

I found I really like riding it late in the day when everything is chopped up, as it just smooths everything out like it's not even there. As good or better than an iso-plate on a shorter board. I found myself looking forward to making a few runs on wide, uncrowded green hills at the end of the day.

It requires plenty of room and I'm still learning how to ride it as I keep misjudging how tight I can turn. I'm still not very comfortable getting off the beginner hill with it, but that's okay, because it goes so fast that it's still a thrilling ride. It's a little like you're flying an F16 and everyone else is flying in Cessnas.

• Like 2