Note to New Members ×

UPZ sizing help

Billb

@daveo it may surprise you - i do NOT use any spring with the "broken" tongues. (See photo)

The bottom spring is only for the purpose of keeping the heel lean angle, not for suspension. That spring does not compress at all.

it rides like this.

Screenshot_2021-04-05-04-55-58-029_com.alensw.PicFolder.jpg

Edited by hknz

@hknz Well, actually, given your assumed weight and your riding style, nope that doesn't surprise me!! Afaik, it is normal for those who ride EC style to want/need greater spring travel with less spring compressive force.

Have you considered trying to find a pair of NW .900, the less stiff version of the .950?

3 hours ago, hknz said:

@daveo it may surprise you - i do NOT use any spring with the "broken" tongues. (See photo)

The bottom spring is only for the purpose of keeping the heel lean angle, not for suspension. That spring does not compress at all.

it rides like this.

Screenshot_2021-04-05-04-55-58-029_com.alensw.PicFolder.jpg

Although not a fan of EC those are still very nice, clean turns. 

• Like 1

@daveothanks for your reply. No, because my 951 flex like a feather without tongue. I just need a very  soft tongue. I dont think 950 tongue is soft enough given they are the same structure.

I once wanted to custom mold a tongue by myself. But i did not bother to study the casting of pu. And the tongue geometry is complex.

I now have a spare new raichle 122 tongue which is kinda ok, it has Fulltilt-like groove (may need cut as well) but havent been on the snow this season due to covid.

I guess some touring boots tongue may be ok too.

My wife uses a 21 mondo atomic backland tongueless but will mod springs. I tried tongueless as well, but feeling unsecure, afraid of damaging the shell, water ingress issue and lack of the torsional stiffness.

Backland is my second choice,

1) it can ride tongueless

2) light weight

3) custom fit shell (951 fit me very well as well but ankle is little too large for me, non deal breaking issue)

4) size in 1cm increment

5) cheap

But it does not fit binding very well, kinda ok. I have not yet find a cheap pair to try and 951 is actually good enough imo.

I have not try UPZ, but its smallest shell seems to be larger than 951 shell A a little bit.

Zipfit is a game changer as well, worth every penny. I have two pairs (one thicker/one thinner) for me to ride till the end of my life and for cutting modification (not yet done)

I am quite obsessed with boots fitting. I told my skier friends, if i ski, i would buy one pair of ski boots from each brand. Just kidding.

Thank you 1xsculler.

Edited by hknz

• 9 months later...

Hoping to get some advice here.  

I wear size 7 shoes across pretty much all brands and EU40 for my cycling footwear.  

I'm looking at used UPZ RC10 boots in either 24.5 or 25.0.  They are the same 279mm shell size from what I understand. 

I am currently wearing 25+ y.o. Raichle SB125 with Raichle Thermoflex liners that have been great. Shells are 25.0 and liners were 25 as well.  When I measure my feet, they are ~24.5 without socks.  Are shoe size measurements normally done with socks as that will add a few mms.  Edit, ~243mm. 

I'm worried the 25.0 UPZ might be too big, partly b/c the seller of the 24.5 stated he wears size 8 or 8.5 street shoes.  I initially thought that was US women's shoe size but he confirmed men's.  He also said he wears size 40 cycling shoes.  I should note he indicated his toes are curled in the 24.5 but he's used a custom footbed to help.  

Anyhow, wish it was as easy as trying them on in person but it's not given this is all being done remotely...

Edited by slabber

35 minutes ago, slabber said:

Yeah,  I'm 243mm.  Dan from UPZ emailed me back and suggested if I'm happy with 25s now,  to stick with a 25, but also to be cautious about older RC10 boots given they've been out of production for a number of years already...

Sorry, I skimmed over the part where you said you had already measured.  As you've noted UPZ uses one shell to cover sizes from 23 to 25.5.  If the liner that comes in them doesn't work for you, you can replace with Intuition (new name for Thermoflex).  This is pretty common.  If you do that it might be beneficial to go with a size 25 Intuition medium or high volume wrap liner as that will take up more of the space in the shell between your size 24.5 foot and size 25.5 shell.

There's nothing wrong with RC10s in good shape.  There were two versions of the RC10.  The later version had the swing-away tongue which made entry and exit easier.  The earlier RC10 tongue did not swing away, but the performance while riding was the same.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:17 AM, slabber said:

Yeah,  I'm 243mm.  Dan from UPZ emailed me back and suggested if I'm happy with 25s now,  to stick with a 25, but also to be cautious about older RC10 boots given they've been out of production for a number of years already...

243mm is about 10mm shorter than mine. I suggest MS951 shell A which is smaller than UPZ 279. Otherwise backland is another option, but you need to modify it.

I always prefer smallest shell, performance + comfort.

Edited by hknz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought a used pair of RC11, came with 23 liners, bought some new 24-24.5 UPZ FLO liners from Dan. 

They're snug.  Had them heat molded a couple times but the inner fabric kept folding downwards so I smoothed them back out at home and now just letting them self mold. 

No heel lift and I'm overall satisfied.  Still getting used to the flex with the springs and have ordered orange race springs to help stiffen them up. 

My biggest concern currently is that I can't really wiggle my toes and they're going numb after more than an hour...

My foootbed is a 25 and likely pulling the liners taught.  Before I try slitting the top of the liners, I think I'll try shortening / trimming the footbed.  

My finger is pointing to top of big toe. 

Any other ideas?

20220213_152233_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20220213_152255_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Footbed before trimming

20220213_152350_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Yes @1xsculler, it's your pic that's got me thinking.   The UPZ FLO is well made.  I'd like to really give them a proper whirl first before cutting them though.   

I do have my old Raichle Thermoflex that I might switch back to if I can't get my toes sorted.   

They're 25.0 though and while comfortable, were probably too big (long).   If I remold for these UPZ boots, unsure if I'll lose the snug fit I've got now with the UPZ liners.   

Trimmed

20220213_160549_copy_1512x2016.jpg.acc3bb6120322f5096b6283d5ca2e728.jpg

I don't know if you have done a shell fit, but it's worth looking at how much space you have around your foot.

When I mold my liners, I do so with a double toe cap and essentially a nylon to get as much wiggle as I can around my toes and as snug a fit as I can everywhere else. It's a less than pleasant molding process, but it's made up for with good circulation on the hill.

I can't speak to your particular feet and boots, but in UPZ I always replaced the liners with an Intuition wrap. You may or may not benefit from some shell fitting with a qualified boot tech. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The sizing with the UPZ boots seems a bit confusing to me.

The size charts posted here and here are not the same and the link to the chart on https://upzboots.com/faqs/ appears to be broken. 

If I have a UPZ RC10 boot with the following numbers stamped in the shell near the heel, how can I tell what MP size the boot is?

4 / 4,5 / 5

258 / 279 mm

Other than these numbers I don't see any other markings. 

Thanks! 

279 is the sole length of the small shell lower that is used for 23-25.5 (Uk 4/4.5/5). In those smaller sizes it's the liner and if memory serves the boot board (maybe?) that differentiates 23/.5, 24/.5 and 25/.5. I don't recall if there was a cuff difference in those sizes.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, slabber said:

The UPZ FLO is well made.  I'd like to really give them a proper whirl first before cutting them though.   

I did like the FLO liners. My only issue with them was that they did not last very long and turned out to be expensive to replace, so I went with TF instead. But they were fine while they lasted. (Nothing like the old UPZ liners, which were indeed utter crap.)