Note to New Members ×

Post Surgery Shopping Time! Oxxes or Thirst or SG?

barryj

Can't Ride this season......but I Sure As Hell Can Order a Ton of Shit and spend the next 6 months Drooling Over It!!      That's Gonna Be My Therapy 🌈 🏂 🎂       

Still on the hunt for a turny little Bandit...........I already got the magic bullet K168, so thinking Thirst SF162  OR   Oxess SL162  OR SG Full Carve 157 or 162

What do the wizards say???

Edited by barryj
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, boardguru said:

Winterstick  Might be an option

Hey BG    Thanks for the suggestion.

What WS board did you base your custom SL off of?

How much was it?   Photos??   Plates or soft bindings?

Edited by barryj

Howdy barry,

Jack M posted a couple of pictures of the board on Feb 4th. It is under the heading Winterstick dips a toe into the waters.

It was loosely based off of their BX board from what I understand. troubler replied on the topic. He is Wintersticks head engineer. He worked with a good friend of mine on the design and build of the board. It was a complete surprise to me when I received it last spring. I got it as a gift because of my involvement with Winterstick starting in Feb. 1976. They even mention me on their webpage in History about going to France. And yes plate bindings, F2 Titanium stepins.

Why not a Jasey Jay?  I have ridden Kessler, Oxess, SG, Donek, Coiler... all great, honestly no one to go wrong with.  However, from a relationship standpoint--Jasey is my favorite (aside from Bruce).  He remembers who I am every time, knows what I like (helps we have ridden together too) and hits me up when he has new stuff (before it becomes public).  Hard to argue with the ride quality too: fastest bases I have ever been on, and he will customize anything you like.  

I think his boards are just as good as Kessler or SG, but Kessler will send you a "order sheet" and generally that is about as far as the "custom" aspect goes.  Good luck getting him on the phone--Jasey will talk to you as needed and is responsive via email.  Oxess is great too: but damn expensive for what you get (which is of course great, but less value for your dollar there I think).  SG is non-custom, for the plebs at least.

Think about it.  His SL boards are, bar none, amazing.  AMAZING.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, boardguru said:

bumped Jack M's post back into the Forum.

Just saw it............ very clean looking!    For plates or soft bindings?

38 minutes ago, Atom Ant said:

Why not a Jasey Jay?

My only experience with JJ was an SL I got to ride and it was way to stiff, like Virus, for me!                                                 My legs were dead after 1 hour!

Guess he could soften up a custom for me...but I'd have to ride another to see if their all that Stiff  before I'd pull the trigger on one.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, barryj said:

Can't Ride this season......but I Sure As Hell Can Order a Ton of Shit and spend the next 6 months Drooling Over It!!      That's Gonna Be My Therapy 🌈 🏂 🎂       

Still on the hunt for a turny little Bandit...........I already got the magic bullet K168, so thinking Thirst SF162  OR   Oxess SL162  OR SG Full Carve 157 or 162

You're describing a donek MK

I've got a virus berserker 203 and I feel the MK has the same edge feel at times, like it's glued down and won't bust out of a turn, the 203 has an awfully long edge to work against, the MK is very similar, and it cranks out less than 9m turns all day long. 

2 hours ago, ursle said:

You're describing a donek MK

Hey Ursle,    Had thought about an MK but 18cm is a little to narrow for my taste.....I guess I.could go custom 20cm waist  but more concerned  a MK takes too much effort/energy/focus/legs to ride for more than a couple of hours.

Where you riding your B203? Haven't seen anybody on a Virus up here at Cannon/loon/Bretton.

Frank is tha Man!   Loved my Virus  UFC!  Scary Fast!! ..... but my thighs hated iit!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:58 PM, Atom Ant said:

your desired flex

Hey AA,    don't see any board specs oh JJ's website.     Maybe instead of a JJ custom what about just going (used) shorter, say 157-160

JJ's boards are plenty stiff......I doubt my 225lbs.  would snap it.

Get Thirsty Barry! A board you can ride all day. You can really push it if you want, but you can also just relax and ride it. Rides as well or better than any "race" board I've ridden (ie, SG, Kessler, Oxess, Rev) but doesn't have to be driven like most race boards. Plus, if you want something that really will keep you drooling during your recovery, the top sheets are incomparable--vivid, 3d, iridescent. Mark's attention to detail is second to none, each board made with his own hands...but you really can't go wrong with any of the boards you mentioned:ices_ange

Get a used SG163, (the most popular board on the NorAm circuit--and there should be used ones coming up for sale as racers get their new equipment)...AND, get a Thirst SF 162. Then keep the one you like best (or both). I'd bet that you'll have a lot of ice-coast skeptics interested in demoing your new Thirst.

53 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Get a used SG163, (the most popular board on the NorAm circuit--and there should be used ones coming up for sale as racers get their new equipment)...AND, get a Thirst SF 162

Like that thinking Dave!   I do have some concern as to the Thirst's Ice-coast capabilities but I'm one and done when it's boilerplate, so not a deal breaker.  I agree the top sheet is a work of Art!  I had already talked to Mark and I can get in the Thirst queue for this season for $250

I assume your suggesting the SG FR over the FC....correct?

57 minutes ago, TLN said:

SG157 is womens race board

Duly noted TLN....... but supposedly the Thirst SF 162 is/was a women's board also.....as originally designed by Mark. 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

I assume your suggesting the SG FR over the FC....correct?....The SG 163 FullRace Titan. I had one and loved it, but sold it to finance another (larger) board and later regretted it.

Duly noted TLN....... but supposedly the Thirst SF 162 is/was a women's board also.....as originally designed by Mark....

The first SF162 was made for a woman as a crossover hardboot carving board (not a SL woman racer), but since they are custom made to your desired width and flex.... I find my SF very similar to the SG163frt I had, maybe a little less tiring, but similar turn shape and versatility.  Never got to ride the SF back to back with the SG, but did with 2 other SL boards (that I won't name), and there was no comparison!

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Like that thinking Dave!   I do have some concern as to the Thirst's Ice-coast capabilities but I'm one and done when it's boilerplate, so not a deal breaker.  I agree the top sheet is a work of Art!  I had already talked to Mark and I can get in the Thirst queue for this season for $250

I assume your suggesting the SG FR over the FC....correct?

Duly noted TLN....... but supposedly the Thirst SF 162 is/was a women's board also.....as originally designed by Mark. 

I rode my 8RW at Stratton all winter in some pretty adverse conditions, Barry. It may have even been seen at Mountain Creek NJ once or twice. The only issue was running out of real estate to complete a turn.  Now I have an SF and XC so that should no longer be an issue. 👍

43 minutes ago, Kneel said:

I rode my 8RW at Stratton all winter

Kneel thanks for the Thirst ice-coast rider input.                                                                                                                                What was your SF build .....anything special or just straight height/weight/usage/area, custom?

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

The SG 163 FullRace Titan

🏂  :biggthump   Thanks Dave     I'm on the hunt!                                                                                                                                           I've been sooo tempted by the SG 163XT FR in classifieds......I like a 20cm waist,  but not so sure about the XT's 22?  

7 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Ursle,    Had thought about an MK but 18cm is a little to narrow for my taste.....I guess I.could go custom 20cm waist  but more concerned  a MK takes too much effort/energy/focus/legs to ride for more than a couple of hours.

Where you riding your B203? Haven't seen anybody on a Virus up here at Cannon/loon/Bretton.

Frank is tha Man!   Loved my Virus  UFC!  Scary Fast!! ..... but my thighs hated iit!

"Still on the hunt for a turny little Bandit"

Well, the MK is a turny little bandit, but if you want all day riding now you're describing a schtubby.

Bigger radius, damp, ice hold, all day long.

15 hours ago, barryj said:

Kneel thanks for the Thirst ice-coast rider input. What was your SF build .....anything special or just straight height/weight/usage/area, custom?

Honestly, I don't know. 🤔 For the 8RW build, I was on the phone with Mark for over an hour.  I told him what I was looking for.  He asked a lot of questions.  I'm not a particularly aggressive rider so I would assume a Plain Jane build, but a couple of subsequent phone calls and his gentle encouragement and correction of what I THOUGHT I wanted/needed changed, albeit not dramatically.  He was definitely listening as he absolutely hit it out of the park.  The conversation about the XC and SF was pretty much "Do whatever you did with the 8RW. 👍 " so we could then talk about guitars.  Unfortunately, my feet are on backwards(goofy) so I can't help with a test drive when the season starts, but  I think there are a few more Thirsts on the ice coast this season so you may get some additional feedback...

On 10/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, barryj said:

You'll love the thirst SF162 for more turns per run but also for the relentless grip / thin pencil lines. Not sure on your rehab, but all thirst boards are designed to keep the rider calm and centered, making for longer days with less fatigue....particularly for us mature, spare part enhanced Carvers.

• Like 2