Note to New Members ×

Compare F2 Titanflex to TD3 SW?

icebiker

I’m thinking of getting step ins for my 2nd board. Already have TD3 SW SI’s on my primary stick but new ones are even more pricey now and although I could get a second board kit for $150 ish,  for a bit more (and much less than TD’s) I could just get a complete pair of F2’s.  I searched for some comparos and once found a BOL thread i can’t seem to relocate, so will ask here for anyone who has both:

a) TDs SW SI’s are beefy (good) but heavy. What is the weight difference between them and say the F2 Intec TitanFlex?

b) What is the difference in height (from the board surface to the tops of the heel/toe beds) between the F2s and the TD’s?

c) the F2 Titaniums don’t have the dampening base that the titanflexes have, so I assume they mount closer to the board (thus lower CoG)? 

d) anything else to consider?

fyi these second bindings would replace RacePlate/IBEX toe bail bindings which are decently light and low profile, but as a tall guy with a tight back and hamstrings I  find bending down to clip in is getting to be a pain, hence the questions above.  I am not a racer and would be using these on a twin tip all mountain board. 

Thanks in advance for any advice  

1 hour ago, icebiker said:

d) anything else to consider?

Ride aside, F2's don't have the convenient cant/lift adjustments that TD's and others have.  Depending on your needs the basic lift/cant kit of various wedges may need to be supplemented with a duplicate kit and a trip to the hardware store for longer screws.  Ie: it could take some tinkering unless you ride flat or are not retentive about cant/lift angles.

As with TD's there are some issues centering smaller boots (M26 and below).  This may not be an issue for you. 

• Thanks 1

It seems like vast majority of the race world uses the F2 binding. I assume it's not due to it's weight and can only imagine that it's due to its flex.

I realize that it's a bit like trying to describe a color but I wonder if anyone out there can say how the ride compares to using the Sidewinder? The video I've seen make it look like they move around much more than the Bomber and it seems that the race community doesn't use them despite the flex but because of it.

So....out on the snow....how do they feel different and compare?

dave

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

So....out on the snow....how do they feel different and compare?

Don't know, never used Bombers.  But just from the design, the sidewinders are only going to move along that lateral axis.  Front to back they will still be stiff.

I use quite soft boots (old Raichle 224s) along with the Titanflex, so I can move all over the place.  I can drive my back knee into my front knee if I want.

• Thanks 1

Thanks this is actually what I’m looking for. My current all mountain set up is LeMans boots with Burton/IBEX plates. I like the softer boots and flex in the bindings since I use this set up when things get bumpy or less than ideal for pure carving. I just want to move to step ins.   Very helpful everyone thanks!

I seem to recall (in the thread I can no longer find) that there was a question about compatibility between Fintech heels and F2 recievers.  I realize the pins and engagement points are standardized but thought I read something about the metal used in the Fintech heel is stronger than that of the F2 reciever (or maybe the guide tabs?) and might cause problems?   🤔  Apologies for the vague reference, just want to be sure I can continue to use the Fintechs.  

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Don't know, never used Bombers.  But just from the design, the sidewinders are only going to move along that lateral axis.  Front to back they will still be stiff.

I use quite soft boots (old Raichle 224s) along with the Titanflex, so I can move all over the place.  I can drive my back knee into my front knee if I want.

This is why I prefer the Titanflex and standard Ti's with geckos over the SW's, while riding 700's which are far stiffer than the SB's. My feet like to be busy, probably to the detriment to my riding. Though it has peaked my interest to try my standard tongue 223's  with the SW's.

11 minutes ago, icebiker said:

I seem to recall (in the thread I can no longer find) that there was a question about compatibility between Fintech heels and F2 recievers.  I realize the pins and engagement points are standardized but thought I read something about the metal used in the Fintech heel is stronger than that of the F2 reciever (or maybe the guide tabs?) and might cause problems?   🤔  Apologies for the vague reference, just want to be sure I can continue to use the Fintechs.  

I thought that was with the TD1, 2 and Catek receivers, but could be wrong. I've seen both in TD3's and Intec receivers without issue

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, icebiker said:

I seem to recall (in the thread I can no longer find) that there was a question about compatibility between Fintech heels and F2 recievers. 

Compatibility problems come with using Fintecs with aluminum receivers (TD1, TD2, Catek).  F2's work beautifully with Fintecs. ... Fintec's don't work well with walking on slippery parking lot surfaces!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

The sidewinders are 2.2 kg. The Titanflex are 1.55 kg. So that’s a pound and a half. 

The normal Titanium are definitely lower than the Bombers, not sure how much. The Titanflex adds about 10 mm I think.  

Do you have them both in hand ?

A few years ago I did and as I remember they were very close in weight, that center plate for the titanflex is a heavy sucker.

19 hours ago, daveo said:

As in:

Titanflex, Ti + geckos; or

Titanflex + geckos, Ti + geckos?

Just curious on this one. 

😀 

The first.  Titanflex. Ti + Geckos. 

I've placed the Titanflex on top of the geckos. Once.  Laughed at how high above the board I would be with heel and toe lift. Never thought about it again till now.

I do want to try swapping out the center rigid plastic puck for a hd rubber one, but I suspect that would be bad as the rigid one probably prevents the M6's from flexing and warping the inserts. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:43 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

The sidewinders are 2.2 kg. The Titanflex are 1.55 kg. So that’s a pound and a half. 

The normal Titanium are definitely lower than the Bombers, not sure how much. The Titanflex adds about 10 mm I think.  

Still looking for the titanflex weight, but...the titanal f2 without the intec heel are 1.55kg

The titanal with intec heel are 1.95kg, and the titanflex are very close to sidewinders with intec heels.

Anyway, the titanflex offer the ability to minutely change lift and cant (lift= front and back, cant= side to side) so basically, they weigh the same, the f2 are much more adjustable.

28 minutes ago, ursle said:

Still looking for the titanflex weight, but...the titanal f2 without the intec heel are 1.55kg

The titanal with intec heel are 1.95kg, and the titanflex are very close to sidewinders with intec heels.

Anyway, the titanflex offer the ability to minutely change lift and cant (lift= front and back, cant= side to side) so basically, they weigh the same, the f2 are much more adjustable.

The foam pads (which add weight) and the different toe piece (which weighs less than the normal Ti's toe piece).

I've actually got those foam pads here. I'll weigh them if I can find a scale. 

1 hour ago, ursle said:

I don't think so.  That extra 400g is for the heels that attach to the boots, not the bindings themselves. Donek gives you that bit of information, Bomber quotes the binding weight only. As you need those heels regardless of whether you are using F2 or Bomber, the weight differential remains the same.

4 hours ago, daveo said:

The foam pads (which add weight) and the different toe piece (which weighs less than the normal Ti's toe piece).

I've actually got those foam pads here. I'll weigh them if I can find a scale. 

Afaik Titanium and Titanflex use different center disks (Titanal for the Titanium, stainless steel for Titanflex), so I would expect the Titanflex to be quite a bit heavier.

8 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I don't think so.  That extra 400g is for the heels that attach to the boots, not the bindings themselves. Donek gives you that bit of information, Bomber quotes the binding weight only. As you need those heels regardless of whether you are using F2 or Bomber, the weight differential remains the same.

Gleamed from YYZCANUCK , info for the titanal bail and intec bindings, no info for the titanflex, the steel heel receiver must weigh 400g.

I haven't weighed fintec heels, 400g sounds lite.

daveo, when you converted did you use the heavy steel center disk, I hope?

I had titanflex and converted back to titanal stepin, and happen to have a few sets of the steel centerdisks.

• Direct power transmission
• Stiff side flex
• Anodized titanal base
• EDS shock absorption system
• Heightta adjustable 6mm toe bail
• Teflon coated INTEC heel receptor
• Approximate Weight = 1.55kg (1.95kg with INTEC™ heel)