Note to New Members ×

Best resorts for carving in the US - by state?

rjnakata

On 2/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Shred Gruumer said:

Best one he has made for me to date... Special Segment edges... STICK LIKE GLUE... 

Explain! Pictures orit didn’t happen! 

BTW, at a glance thought that was an old Kemper or something. 

6 hours ago, Erik J said:

Apparently none of you have been to mountain creek nj. 

It's something else.

Current conditions - bullet proof.

On the contrary, they have expanded their terrain offerings. Yesterday was slush and mud. If there is anything left after this recent warm spell and weather system, they will return to the regularly scheduled program of bullet proof. 👍

FWIW...prior to last week.  Conditions were surprisingly good.  If you stick to my program of first lift at 9, in the truck and on the way to the office by 10:30. And NEVER on weekends. 😉 

20 minutes ago, Kneel said:

On the contrary, they have expanded their terrain offerings. Yesterday was slush and mud. If there is anything left after this recent warm spell and weather system, they will return to the regularly scheduled program of bullet proof. 👍

FWIW...prior to last week.  Conditions were surprisingly good.  If you stick to my program of first lift at 9, in the truck and on the way to the office by 10:30. And NEVER on weekends. 😉 

Yesterday was pretty fun, I was there for a few hours. South was great, Zero G was really good. 

I was there today too and typed my post from the lodge. This morning was definitely bullet proof. Surprised how much it firmed up overnight. 

29 minutes ago, Erik J said:

Yesterday was pretty fun, I was there for a few hours. South was great, Zero G was really good. 

I was there today too and typed my post from the lodge. This morning was definitely bullet proof. Surprised how much it firmed up overnight. 

I took 2 runs and hung it up.  Besides, they had a lot closed setting up for the Special Olympics.  It was their day and I just felt in the way.  Surprised it got below freezing up there last night.  I'm hoping it gets better after I return from MCC, though I suspect it will be a kick in the nuts after that.  Let me know when you'll be back.  It's lonely.  😐  But surprised at the smattering of hardboots I've run into there in the morning...

On 2/4/2019 at 7:50 PM, Shred Gruumer said:

Whitefish Montana... These taken all last week!!  Mic Drop... 

DSC_0581-1376x774.JPG

_20190128_160253-1216x774.JPG

picks up mic; I'll put the swizz up against the big fish any day, grooming and fog, and our lake is bigger

schweitzer-view2-02012019.jpg

that's the small end of the lake from the beginner run

and this is the smaller side of a resort with 12 winchcat runs

schweitzer-skier-budchute-020419-lr.jpg

Edited by b0ardski

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, bobdea said:

Explain! Pictures orit didn’t happen! 

BTW, at a glance thought that was an old Kemper or something. 

Kemper Apex 170 Homage...

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, b0ardski said:

don't tell me magna-wave-gimmik has come to revolutionize alpine:eek:

Not Magna like...segmented  ...7 interrupted radius segments.. 

This is my second one....who can forget the Wobbly goblin...

7 segments.jpg

IMAG3914.jpg

A bit of a late comer to this post.

As a craver and a groomer, it's really subjective.

I've carved Giant Steps and International trail out in Vail. It's extremely rare for them to be groomed but so damn worth it. Also, Bear Tree trail's super fun pending right snow, right conditions, etc. 

Edited by LeeW

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 7:25 AM, pow4ever said:

ha... i should have preface it with "the resort I been to".  I do try to do a Safari when I went to a state for ski trip but always constrained by time and funds.
Had a chance to sample the following while I was in the area:  Snow king(WY), Jackson(WY), and Targhee(ID)  <-- only ski area i been to in ID. 

Sounded like Sun Valley should on my to hit list.  What you described was what I feel about: Big Sky, MT
Jaw dropping width...

Snowbasin(same owner ship as Sun Valley?); very very nice bath room lol.  Great carving too but the bathroom made an impression.

I've had a pass to both Targhee and Sun Valley for several years, both have epic carving/alpine riders, but Sun Valley is on another level.  Also, Grand Targhee Resort is in Alta Wyoming, which is very close to Idaho on most maps.

• Thanks 1

Sept 2 the EPIC pass goes up in price. 

Last year i bought both the IKON and EPIC. but frankly I think I'm better off with EPIC. IKON IS TOO LIMITING FOR ASPEN  5 or 7 days and really doesn't offer enough good unlimited resorts by comparison.  The only advantage I can see for IKON is. Long season at Mammoth ...particularly a long LATE season.  Plus Mammoth has superchargers.

Also Aspen Buttermilk has Superchargers.

ERRR. so really IKON is the pass for people who have their crew of friends and hook ups at Mammoth only and if you like Mammoth you also have to like lots of wind, and flat light and powder that isn't nearly as good as Colorado.

Epic lost A basin which was its early season draw, but it just gained 7 days at Sun Valley (definitely on my hit list 2019/2020).

Well, my beef with EPIC pass is the resorts it serves are the most crowded. Since EPIC stands for every person in Colorado.  For East coasters all thy get are Sunapee (you best fast quick mid week hit for decent vertical ) and Okemo which is only good midweek ..sapphire is fun, but the colliding fall lines are just flat out some of the most bizarre  trail cutting I have ever seen ...only NY Hunter Mountain is more dangerous for handling people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 11:07 PM, mellowjonny said:

I've had a pass to both Targhee and Sun Valley for several years, both have epic carving/alpine riders, but Sun Valley is on another level.  Also, Grand Targhee Resort is in Alta Wyoming, which is very close to Idaho on most maps.

wow; didn't realized Grand Targhee actually located in the state of Wyoming.  I stand corrected.
TIL(Today I learned) 🙂