Note to New Members ×

Top sheet and sidewall protection?

Grip

Is there a good way to protect the tail, sidewall, edges of top sheet? My new SG The Cult is a beauty... but I’m clumsy. Worried I might munch the sidewalls when shuffling to the lift line. Thick duct tape? SGSnowboards actually recommends filing the top sheet edges with a hand file on their race boards?! What about the tip and tail?

Unrelated... is it recommended to use a leash on the front foot?

Yeah because if you ding into a gate it'll delam so they recommend to file it down so it doesn't hit at such a perpendicular angle to the inlays.

SG topsheets have been known to peel. From the tail in particular.

I use a leesh. 

Edited by daveo

Probably not, I doubt you'll be hitting anything straight on and if you do, the board might be the least of your worries, unlike if you race and have a gate hitting hazard frequently.

So basically every SG Full Carve and Full Race I've seen has had some sort of topsheet (usually just the clear top layer over the decal) delam from the tail. Just like peel off and curl up. It's not a reflection of the actual board since the general consensus of them is that they're amazing, just like your The Cult (don't carve too steep or load the nose in softer stuff, the nose can fold on the The Cult). 

What about something like this? https://surfcohawaii.com/snowboard-nose-guard-kit-assorted-colors/

Edited by daveo

• 1 year later...

Bevel the edge of the top sheet exposing more of the sidewall material . Need to use a pretty fine file on final pass to create a smooth finish. Tail delam usually results from poor handling of your board don't store it on damp surfaces on the tail , don't bang in on the ground to remove snow. I found that a good quality viynal electrical tape applied to a board cleaned first with alcohol or ether gives very resilient protection. When applying tape don't stretch it or touch the surfaces with your fingers. Warm the board over a heat source afterwards to help with adhesion. In my opinion duct tape should only be used on something you intend to throw away after you have used it. You will spend the rest of your life trying to  clean it off.                                                                                                                            Leash on the boot you don't remove from bindings when riding chair. Unless you ride where they allow you to stay clipped in and if that is the case consider yourself extremely privileged.

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Unless you ride where they allow you to stay clipped in and if that is the case consider yourself extremely privileged.

Oh man, don't do that with an alpine setup! I tried it - once. That was a long chair ride...

The angled alpine stance means that only your back leg is touching the seat. It is a great way to test knee tendon integrity.