Note to New Members ×

Schweitzer on weekends?

Jeffrey Day

So, I'm thinking about coming out to attend the Montucky Event! Sounds too good to pass up if I can get the funds together! I was wondering how the crowds are going to be at Schweitzer Mt on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the Montucky Event! I have some skier friends that have been out to Schweitzer. And knowing how I ride, they tell me that I'd love Schweitzer! I worry, or am nervous about riding there as I've heard it's steep! And I'm not very good on steep groomers!

Let me know!

I was there over Xmas a few years ago. it was probably busy by their standards, which meant by Banff standards it was pretty dang mellow. if you're coming from the East Coast you'll probably wonder where all the people are.

Schweitzer's super fun. I didn't find it too steep (if you stay off the winch groomed stuff on the front ? ) and I'm sure you're a better rider than I am, so you should be fine.

• Like 1

I'll let the Schweitzer locals give the definitive answers, but on a non-holiday Friday chances are you will ride right up to the chair; weekends will be a bit more crowded, but I think you're unlikely to wait more than maybe 5 minutes in a lift line. There are some terrifying (and fun) groomed steeps at Schweitzer, but that is really maybe 5 or 6 runs - there are a lot of fun blue carvers where you can tear it up without worrying about sliding down the whole run if you lose your edge. 

• Like 1

You can usually find a place to run and hide.  In the late season it can get busy...like spring skiing stuff and season pass holders are trying to "pay" off their pass...busy.  Nothing like the base of Park City between Payday and Crescent, that is nuts!  If you make it up early before 8:30 you can get good parking and a few warm up runs on Musical chairs, when the lifts open to the top (9:00) trench all you can in the front and go to the back side when it gets thick with meat gates.  You can almost always find a way to avoid the crowd.

I have been riding at Schweitzer for over 25yrs and have never been hit...but I do watch out for myself!  

There will be quite a few of the Schweitzer crew at MCC, hit us up and more than a few of us will meet you at Schweitzer and show you the BEST places to carve.  IMO it is a great place to ride, the steepest of steep groomed and everything else down to easy and wide.  Even the beginner runs are great carving (Musical chairs) and you will find the locals lapping it in the morning waiting for the resort to open.

Hope to see you at MCC!!