Note to New Members ×

Coiler sold out for 2005/06

Mike T

Anybody think about asking why Coiler is sold out for next season before this one's over?

I understand they are great boards, that is not the direction of my question.

There are some really intelligent people that could help with identifying key areas to improve process flow and production schedules without sacrificing quality.

Don't any of you Canucks on these boards have the know-how to offer Bruce some help? (I'm assuming he is willing to receive help.) It would certainly pay off in the long run.

I've been a manufacturing accountant for 18 years and I could pony up a zillion reasons why Bruce would want to keep things just the way they are. Not the least being, he wants his summers off! Good on him. He's turning out a high quailty product for a niche market at a great price, and bigger is not always better - I've worked for three companies who have taken that route and paid dearly for it.

I'm bummed, however, that if I demo a Coiler at next year's SES and want one, I'll have to wait another year for it ... looks like the guy who bought the one on E-Bay for $585 did pretty well, he'll be riding this weekend and not in 2007!

Originally posted by neil sunday

I just reevaluated my Coilers, and decided I can get another season out of them!

How long is the life of a Coiler Freecarve?

Days used per year? Or tune-up (edges sharpenig)?

I just want to know when to place an order for the replacement of my new toy.

Thx, Francois

Originally posted by RJ-PS

Anybody think about asking why Coiler is sold out for next season before this one's over?

I understand they are great boards, that is not the direction of my question.

There are some really intelligent people that could help with identifying key areas to improve process flow and production schedules without sacrificing quality.

Don't any of you Canucks on these boards have the know-how to offer Bruce some help? (I'm assuming he is willing to receive help.) It would certainly pay off in the long run.

Simple law of suppply and demand, and IMO also likely a quality of life issue, as well as a control & quality control issue

Small Production/Hands on Approach=Quality (Hopefully)

Small Production + Specialized Market = Demand

Quality=Price

Demand=Price

I have not seen one of his boards, but based on what I read here his product quality speaks volumes. If he floods the market with more boards he has eliminated his demand, and hence his demand and high price. If he makes more boards, that takes more time, hence no quality of life, or he ends up switching from being a manufacturer to being an employer. Having employees sucks. Smart guy if you ask me.

I'm still searching fot that magic formula so I can do the same thing.

Guest Todd Stewart

I'm pretty sure Bruce wants to keep it small, solely focusing on quality rather then quantity. Also I've heard that he is scaling back production this year so he can focus more on Jasey's boards for the coming Olympics. BTW, the limited run has nothing to do with pricing, anyone who has rode one of his boards know he could charge upwards of a grand and still reach capacity.

eos4life, I've been on my pure race for 4 years now, about 150 days and around 50 sharpening. It still works fine now although i can feel its losing it's pop. By the time I get my new coiler next season I will defiantly be ready for a new board.

has about 40 days on it and it feels like the first time I rode it

many boards would be dead at that point

Todd mentioned the olympics, Bruce mentioned he will be busy with that going on so I assume that is part of why they are sold out

Originally posted by bobdea

has about 40 days on it and it feels like the first time I rode it

many boards would be dead at that point

Todd mentioned the olympics, Bruce mentioned he will be busy with that going on so I assume that is part of why they are sold out

I seem to remember him saying a while back that he was also reducing the number of customer boards during 05/06 so he could put more time into the Olympis boards for JJA...especially with the titinal issue coming to the fore this year he likely will need a lot more R&D time to insure that JJA has all that he needs for the Gold

Originally posted by Gecko

I seem to remember him saying a while back that he was also reducing the number of customer boards during 05/06 so he could put more time into the Olympis boards for JJA...especially with the titinal issue coming to the fore this year he likely will need a lot more R&D time to insure that JJA has all that he needs for the Gold

Add to that the fact that he has a second job..

From my conversations with Dave Morgan, it was my understanding that Bruce was planning to to reduce the number of boards he produced from the 120+, down to 80 next season.

This will allow him to continue doing the quality work we have all enjoyed and expected from Coiler as well spend time working with Jacey Jay as well as enjoying a little of the short season we get. Bruce like to comit to production and deliver when promised.

I think the main reason he has sold out so early, is the reduction in total number of boards being produced in 2005/06.

I think there was a cliche - "early bird gets the worm"

All the best,

Rob

Please read my post again, I mention that he could increase his production without affecting quality.

That doesn't mean becoming Burton in a year! I never mentioned bigger is always better. All I was saying is that the best way to work with supply and demand is to work the equation to balance in a season. So in a small niche like ours that may only mean an increase in 20-40 boards a season. So increasing production from 120 to 140 - 160 boards is only a 16.6%- 33.3% increase!

From my point of view that still allows the main work in designing and planning the boards up to the Boss, but the other work of layup, build, press, and finish up to guys that are certainly capable (assumption?).

In no way shape or form was this to suggest that he should go after the almighty Canadian dollar or sell his soul.

The other point is that after JJ wins the olympics the demand for these boards is going to shoot sky-high. When that happens, how long will the rest of us have to wait for a board......2010. By that time I'll be too busy flying my F2 airbase.

Guest Mike Ford

there certainly are people that would be glad to help bruce produce boards, but the circumstances that he builds his boards in makes that unpractical. I've had a few conversations with him on this subject, he is willing to farm out a bit of the prep work, but that'll honestly only save him a couple of minutes per board, it is almost all finicky work getting the flex right and handing that out to someone else would be a big risk for him to undertake. He's pretty happy with the ways things are from what I can see, so there's no real reason for him to chage it up. As long as I can get a board from him ever now and then as mine wear out, I'm happy to know it's made by Bruce himself and is built up to his exacting standards.

MF

Just a comparison. If Ford bought Maserati and started production runs of the car, do you think they would have the same driving experience or be hard to buy?

Bruce knows snowboards and no one else has what he has in his head. If he hired employees or outsourced his boards, his knowledge and craftsmanship would not be in the boards anymore. They might look like Coilers but they would'nt be the same.

I for one will never complain if my board is late from Bruce, because I know it will be the best and will always live up to my expectations.

I have 2 in the stable now, a 188 PR and a 172 AM. I ride my AM 90% of the time now and am pondering selling my PR but I am torn, because once it is gone, I will probably never get another one. The 10% of the time I am on my PR I remind myself why I should keep it.

"I have 2 in the stable now, a 188 PR and a 172 AM. I ride my AM 90% of the time now and am pondering selling my PR but I am torn, because once it is gone, I will probably never get another one. The 10% of the time I am on my PR I remind myself why I should keep it."

I have been debating if I should get a PR. I have a 177 AM and the thing rocks. I can only imagine how the PR will hold. I have never had the pleasure to ride a PR so I cannot say.

At least I am on the list for next year :)