Note to New Members ×

will the old photos ever be recovered?

west carven

Yeah, sorry.  I have a knack for creating/discovering new IT "issues" that apparently nobody in the world has ever had before.  This migration was an unusual and nonstandard event for Invision.  Apparently they have never had a forum change URLs or ownership before. :confused: I had to pay for a developer to build a custom solution.  It took several days to run, and as we can see not everything survived.  It wasn't a simple matter of dumping and restoring a database, because the forum is cloud hosted.  I imagine if there is a database, it's some new fangled NoSQL database like Cassandra or Mongo.  Fin and I agreed it was important to stay with Invision so that the "new" forum would still feel like home, and that the transition would be mostly seamless and transparent.  Thanks for bearing with us!

I definitely recommend Bob's tip of looking back through your profile for old pics you've posted.

• Thanks 1

I had the same thing with some sites last year on Rackspace which needed "lifting and shifting" from one account to another. It's a classic zero-sum game: the best you can do is not break anything, at which they simply won't complain, rather than marvelling over how clever and seamless it all was.

There are developers here should such things arise again, although they are of course probably playing in the snow.

post-109-1418422337_thumb.jpg Here, I’ll pull one out of the depths, did it by clicking ‘existing media’

see, that’s what dumping a skateboard at 35-40mph will do for you.

turns you into a baboon...... 

you’re welcome

Edited by bobdea

Wow.  I've posted 346 photos over the years.  All are there in my profile attachments.  Didn't know I could see them from there.

Everything through through 2016 is still linked correctly to their posts, but everything from 2017 onward is linked incorrectly.  Too bad.

If you see a thumbnail in your attachments page(s), you can access from the post.  If you don't, you can still download the content, but the post will contain an invalid link.

Stop now if you don't care, but otherwise let's look a little deeper at the problem....

The good and the bad links take slightly different forms, probably superficial:

good: content.invisioncic.com/n281171/monthly_04_2016/post-845-0-49395000-1460481992.jpg
bad: content.invisioncic.com/n281171/monthly_2017_01/Z01_9657.jpg.4475ca2428b728a5996ea490f7e5d8f1.jpg

From the attachements page, the links take a very different form:

good: forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=38144
bad: forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40158

These links redirect you to AWS S3 storage.  For all I know, this is all hosted on AWS.  The php script for the bad link above redirects successfuly to:

s3.amazonaws.com/ips-cic-filestore/n281171/monthly_2017_01/Z01_9657.jpg.4475ca2428b728a5996ea490f7e5d8f1.jpg?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIQSK6GPSGJMTCOQQ/20180412/us-east-1/s3/aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20180412T200541Z&X-Amz-Expires=1200&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&response-content-disposition=attachment; filename*=UTF-8''Z01_9657.jpg&response-content-type=image/jpeg;charset=UTF-8&X-Amz-Signature=03425896abee0c53965673738317125a21887b38f05a549c25141b027ae493a0

Notice that the URL is to the same path (relative to an S3 bucket) as the bad content.invisioncic.com link in the post.  The rest of the query string is to authorize the AWS S3 access.

SO THE LINKS ARE OK!!!!!!!!!  THEY REFERENCE THE RIGHT S3 STORAGE.  IT'S AN ACCESS CONTROL ISSUE.

The failing links return Access Denied rather than Not Found.  So something in the invision service that normally proxies the content for these links and returns it from the content.invisioncic.com domain is failing on access control.  It's not getting the authorization parameters right when it tries to get the content from AWS S3 storage.

The PHP script knows how to do it right, so all hope is not lost.  Another call to their tech support is in order.  The failing links still identify the correct S3 storage, but the content.invisioncic.com service is not handling the security for all of them correctly.  Maybe they are being mapped to some other customer's S3 credentials.

John

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 4:07 PM, st_lupo said:

Jack, if you wouldn't mind, could you repost "The Greatest Snowboard Photo Ever"?  I love that photo but I was lazy and never downloaded it.

Purdy Please?

I fixed that post. :ices_ange

http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/45371-the-greatest-snowboarding-photo-ever/

@johnasmo, thanks I will check that out.  The ticket I had previously opened on this has been closed, and I think their tech had thrown in the towel.  There are almost 12gb of pics.

• Thanks 1

If you talks to their tech support, here's a simple summary:

The attachement PHP script knows how to add the right S3 authorization credentials for all of the site's content.
The regular content proxy does not, for *some* of the site's content (mostly newer, 2017 and up?). 
The links, however, still identify the correct S3 content.

John