Note to New Members ×

Powder and Hard boots

wjholm

1 hour ago, Surf Quebec said:

For the first time I'm considering softboots. My last powder day was not so fun even when riding a dynastar 3800 163 with old blax bindings ( soft) and my upz in walk mode. Only small-medium moguls of wet snow. Find myself always in counter rotation when my friend was cruising easily on his fullbag board with soft boots.

Cure for counter-rotation is rotation. Anticipate every turn with head, shoulders and hips, right at the edge change. Then you are in a strong position to drive the turn with knees and ankles. Very tight turns or moguls you can start with rotation and finish by counter - rotation (which defacto becomes anticipation of the next turn). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just learned the passing of Philippe Fragnol, Chamonix's great mountain photographer..here is a pic from him not so off topic showing powder and hardboots...Notice they both are using rubber slings to make sure the bindings do NOT open on their Raichles..Jérome Ruby and Dédé Rhem in the Mallory couloir circa 1993 ( 55°)

fragnol.JPG

second pic, same guides north face of the Triolet

fragnol2.JPG

Edited by nils
  • Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, wjholm said:

I have a really good/fun problem....

I just dropped a load of cash to reserve a spot at Great Canadian Heliski for next Feb!!

I am very blessed to live on a ski hill here in the midwest, Granite Peak, WI.  I'm out solo or with the family several times a week - walkin/out from our back yard.  When I moved here about 12 years ago I switched to entirely hardboot and carving  I became obsessed and never really spent much time on skis since.  I didn't even bring skis on my regular trips west, never enough powder days to be worth having another board.  Since booking this trip, I dusted off the soft setup and bought skis.  Several people have suggested that I ski on this helitrip.  Here is the problem------ I don't really feel good in soft boots anymore and skiing isn't really tripping it for me either.

So....????

For those of you with experience, do I buy a new powder board that will work well with plates and hard boots?  Any suggestions??

Do I get better on my skis and use the equipment they will provide?  I've been pleased with how well I'm skiing after being away for so long; I'd be ready by next season.

Or, bring my soft boots and use the boards they have??

I've been told that a snowboard of any variety (except a split) can be a challenge if you get stuck in a traverse or flat!

I would stick with all my own gear, gear I know and won't have to get use to. I have been using hard boots on every thing for the last 20+ years (boots are the older Raichle 121's) then I would bring a pair of soft boots just in case. I have not read all the posts but I would add in a pair of three piece collapsible poles with large baskets (for the flats/traverses). Just don't ride out front of the group unless you know for sure there are no momentum traps, take clues from the guides tracks. Skiers don't always look at the terrain the same way a boarder does so keep that in mind. A split board or maybe even Verts might be used at a last resort if trapped low. If you don't have an all mountain board and only carving boards I would defiantly look for something. Don't feel like you have to go with something new just the right length and condition. Remember the driving force to wide skis and rocker is do to how boards have performed in powder. A small pack with spare googles, gloves and a hat even if you wear a helmet. Also a place to store layers that you will be switching out. One last word! Squats, Squats and more Squats! 

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, nils said:

Just learned the passing of Philippe Fragnol, Chamonix's great mountain photographer..here is a pic from him not so off topic showing powder and hardboots...Notice they both are using rubber slings to make sure the bindings do NOT open on their Raichles..Jérome Ruby and Dédé Rhem in the Mallory couloir circa 1993 ( 55°)

fragnol.JPG

second pic, same guides north face of the Triolet

fragnol2.JPG

Over the T O P !!!!!