Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2017/2018

rwmaron

This must have set some kind of record  - five (count em, five) hardboot carvers at Spirit today! I, unfortunately had to leave the party early to catch a flight? but left to right: Bobble, lonbordin, bigwavedave, Corey,  rwmaron. Conditions and ride report to follow, I’m sure.

9692145B-594A-4E81-9210-467E2361A226.jpeg

• Like 2

Minnesota firm with a wee bit of corn to start.  Softened up a bit by lunch.   I was having a blast. 

Unfortunately I didn't ride after lunch.  On a fairly hard carve my rear boot's lower cuff cable came off* and somehow my top cuff cable had come undone on the run.  I leaned in and kept leaning... one wipeout later and I'm a bit sore around the achilles ankle area but a little more focused on the inside of the leg.  *Like popped out from under a fully tightened cable holder!?! Not good. :mad:

That's life.  It was great to ride with the group in the morning. Great to meet @bobble and @Corey.  Fun to watch @Corey try to tame his new MK!  Great to ride with @rwmaron and @bigwavedave again.

I'm going to play it by ear... day to day.  The gang is headed over to IndianHead tomorrow.  

Good dinner at the Cylde Iron Works... got to see @khoward again.

Sounded like the crew might have spotted @jolson but wasn't able to catch up with him.

Speaking of sound... the MK sounds like it rips the universe in two when @Corey was pushing it.... I mean it's really loud... uncommonly loud... a feature???

Carve On!

Edited by lonbordin
more names... more detail
  • Like 1

The mini SES returned to Spirit today with temps near freezing rocketing up to 50°F by early afternoon. After a spectacular day at Indianhead yesterday, I was not looking forward to having my joints rattled carving on the ice base at Spirit. I think Cory said that after one day (Thursday) on this stuff his legs felt the same as after 7 days at Aspen. Yesterday at Indianhead felt like much needed therapy.

Carvers on the hill today were @jolson, @bobble, @DonPablo, @khoward, @Corey:biggthump .Busy day on the hill with competitions and St Paddy day revelers. Found some softer carvable groom in the big air park. The hill was turning to slush piles by early afternoon when we left. Cory might have some video to post after he gets home.

Felt like summer by the time I got home, but cooler temps in the forecast might usher us into some nice spring conditions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Corey said:

Oh, and a special thanks to @lonbordin for the invite and @bigwavedave for showing me all the goods! 

Sorry I wasn't able to ride with everyone more!  Glad to hear you had a good time @Corey ! The "locals" are a great group of sprited carvers.

Thanks for bringing your new MK! I always wondered how those boards rode... Now that I've seen it for myself, I know it's not for me!  It is a specific tool for a specific purpose and I can really appreciate that.

Edited by lonbordin
Spirited away...
  • Like 1

Saturday, March 24

Loose granular over an icy base and flat light at the start; the light soon improved and the hard base could be managed with a deft touch. True to his word Ken brought out the retro-neon Hot Tub Time Machine kit...Jim and Joel look decidedly drab in comparison :biggthump

AEDF8D8C-8573-49F0-A551-1DF2497BBC1B.jpeg

Trick question...Joel's riding soft boots.

Good riding with Jim and Russ today. Can hear the ice under the surface, but softened up nicely. Rode till about 3.

(tried to upload the video, but the file was too large)

Frame-25-03-2018-07-32-59.jpg

Edited by khoward

Faced strong winds but as the day went on yesterday got to hero carving snow.....even made me look good.  Looks like my season is over .....maybe Tuesday lunch as Spirit will be open Tues- Sunday next week I am told.....but am out of State for the remainder of open hours.    Had late season fun with all and look forward to seeing everyone next year.  I like the MINI-SES potential each year for us Northern folks.......

Be Well

• Like 1

Tuesday, April 3

Patroller Don and I rode over the lunch hour today - light was flat but the groom was surprisingly good. The combination of a little new snow over the last couple of days and continued cool temperatures is keeping our season alive.

Last time I was at spirit they had a pretty rough icy base just under the loose surface snow and they haven’t had much snow since then. 

Indianhead, on the other hand  has had about 15-20 inches of dry fluffy snow in the past 11 days and is spectacular right now and should be through Sunday and maybe beyond.

7 hours ago, MNSurfer said:

I'm thinking of trying to weasel-out of Saturday obligations, for one last hit. Think Spirit will be any decent?

I would describe conditions today as ‘firm groom’ with only an occasional icy patch; the temperature stayed below about 23F so the snow didn’t soften at all. Saturday is forecast to a bit warmer - if the surface softens slightly it would be more fun to ride.

Russ

I wish I could get over to the UP, but that's a 10-hour RT. Not for a single day on the hill, anyway.

Any prediction on the Saturday crowd at Spirit? Yeah, temps look good, and all that. I'm going to burn a couple of Good Husband Points on this, and just want to see if it's worth it. Looks like NW is going to taper-off, but will it fade before the mountain turns to buffed ice?

Very sad. Pretty much what is known about what happened is as reported. Apparently unwitnessed.

Spirit Mountain has announced that the season is over and will not open this weekend. Financials for the season were good :)

Everybody loves you when you're in the black. We finished our season at Copper with a powder day on Friday

Thinking about boots for next season. Sticking with my Track 225s vs UPZs vs Track 325s. Not sure which would be better with very flat feet