Note to New Members ×

Snow tire sizing?

Dan

Hi all, I have a question about tire sizing that I'm hoping to run by you. I have a 2013 Outback, the stock tire size is 225/60 R17. Assuming I get new wheels, can I use snow tires that are size 215/60 R16? For reference, Tirerack.com suggests snow tires sized 215/70 R16 for this car. 

My friend is moving south and is selling his lightly used snow tires, the size I mentioned above (215/60 R16). Just wondering if those will work for me.

Yes, but your speedometer and odometer will read high. Search for 'tire size calculator' and you'll be able to out in the #s and see how much. 

Also confirm the load rating. I suspect you'll have no issues for a lighter vehicle like a Forester, but it's worth confirming. 

EDIT: Looking at the size again, that's a LOT smaller. I'd say too small...

Edited by corey_dyck
  • Like 1

Yes it will work, but not many would recommend it.  You will lower your ground clearance by 3/4" and have speedometer error in the realm of 5%.  Generally it's not good to change the diameter of the tires by more than 2% from factory size.

Click here to see the math.

Edited by breeseomatic

12 hours ago, ibrussell said:

Yes  We ran a set of 205/55/16 off my son's impreza on our 2013 outback for the last two years, worked great but like Corey said the speedo said we were going 5 mph faster than we were and it lowered the clearance by about 1.5".

That's even smaller, it must have looked rediculous with all that wheel well showing and being so low.

Thanks everyone, I will pass. I guess there's no way to reset the speedo/odo for a different tire size? Even if there was, the hit to ground clearance is a potential issue and it seems like a hassle, so I'll keep looking for cheap snow tires elsewhere. :-)

On 6/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, Dan said:

Hi all, I have a question about tire sizing that I'm hoping to run by you. I have a 2013 Outback, the stock tire size is 225/60 R17. Assuming I get new wheels, can I use snow tires that are size 215/60 R16? For reference, Tirerack.com suggests snow tires sized 215/70 R16 for this car. 

My friend is moving south and is selling his lightly used snow tires, the size I mentioned above (215/60 R16). Just wondering if those will work for me.

As others said, this is not a good idea. The engine will actually run at higher revs, to achieve the same (real) ground speed. Also it messes with the traction. Every decent tire shop would tell yo that. Keep the designed outer diameter as close as possible. 

• 4 months later...

For AWD make sure they are all the same size, even to the point of having close to the same miles and wear on all 4.  Just went thru this , especially on Subarus. On Subarus, there is a self sealed small steel silicon/air filled clutch pack on the differential,  called a "viscous coupling".   This device limits the amount of slip any one wheel will have and adds more power to the opposite wheel.  Subaru says that they are not made to run full time,  and if so, will burn out,  and big Money for a replace, if you can find one. Subaru states all 4 wheels within 1/4 circumference.   Much talk on the forums on saying this 1/4"  spec is way too  particular. 

So if you are buying used tires for a Subaru, make sure you get a circumference measure on all 4 tires with a cloth tape measure at the middle of the tire and deflated if on rims.    If you need more info on this, google, Subaru,  tire size matching, viscous coupling

this link tells you what is going on in there.  https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/44127-subaru-center-differential-problems

and this one , a lot of first hand knowledge with opinions, but from some pretty knowledgeable/experienced folk. https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381351

Edited by RobertAlexander
add

For winter tires you want thinner to push less snow and shorter, smaller to give you more torque in snow, smaller turns more, less mpg but more power to go tru snow and mud, when all four are the same size the car doesn’t care what size, it’s a computer and no codes are thrown, yes the speedometer need recalibration, get a garmin gps if your mind can’t do the calculation, use tirewrack to find circumference, and if the tire is 2”smaller in circumference, it’s one inch closer to the ground, and only rocks count for clearance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 6:16 PM, Poloturbo said:

Get the tires but change the car lol. ;)

Just kidding. (Mitsubishi hardcore fan.)

Well, I admit there are better looking cars out there. On the other hand, there is no other AWD wagon at this price point, so whatcha gonna do? Maybe the new Buick Regal TourX will surprise everyone by handling great in snow and being mechanically reliable.