Note to New Members ×

Need Advice: Next Best Boot to Strato Pro?

colintkemp

Friends,

I rode HEAD SPs for years and loved them.  Good fit for my foot, and all that.

But all things must come to an end (I guess).  Yesterday, while enjoying insane conditions (17-25 degrees F, hero corduroy) at Squaw Valley, I tore the heel ledge off the back of my right (back foot) boot.  (Note:  I'm not talking about the replaceable block part--I mean the black, built in part--trust me, the boot is done.)  Given the HSP is no longer made, what Deeluxe boot do you recommend I get as my next boot?  (I'm sure I could burn the earth for a pair of used HSP or spend $1.5M for some Northwaves, but I'm ready for new new boots.)

A bit about me (which is probably helpful for your advice):  I'm entirely the average male (5'11", 170lbs.), although I do like long walks on the beach and reading Kant's Critique. I tend to ride you basic race boards--for example, my go-to right now is a 185 KST + Apex v.2.  (The board is one of Han's flat nose, metal top customs for Michael Lambert--it's a few seasons old now, but it just happens to be perfect for me.)  I'm probably, on average, considered a fairly "aggressive" rider (but, yes, you'd still probably take me in a bar fight).  Potentially important note:  Recently, I have taken to riding with my back foot in "walk mode" (i.e., the HSP lever flipped up).  I add this in case this impacts what sort of Deeluxe I should consider.

When all is said and done, I probably want a fairly stiff boot, but I'm not running gates any longer; and I don't need to buy/ride in stiff boots to prove how tough I am (my 6 and 4 year olds have convinced me I'm not tough). 

Anyways, I welcome all comments, especially those who once rode HSP and have moved on--to what, and why?

Thanks for taking the time to read/consider, Colin.

Are you running bails? Or intec?

Personally: if I weren't so commited to stepins, I would probably eschew all of the readymade alpine snowboard boot options in favor of finding the skiboot that best fits my foot and modifying it to work with bails + softenning forward for alpine specific needs (as some racers have done with dalbellos). Setting up a new pair of boots would probably be a pain, but there can be no substitute for starting out with a platform that works so perfectly for one's own feet!

Otherwise: I'd probably pretty keen to see what all the fuss is about regarding northwaves.

Edited by queequeg

Like you I rode my HSPs till they broke. 

I have narrow heels and a widish forefoot. I'd tried Deeluxe shells and not liked the fit. I'd read that the UPZ shell would likely fit my foot shape but didn't have the chance to try them in New Zealand. I took the chance, taking advantage of Dan Yoja's UPZ off season sale in 2016 and bought a pair of RC10S in the same mondo size as my HSPs. 

Fit out of the box was good, but I found that to control heel lift in my rear foot I had to modify the angle of the middle strap. Note that I generate so much heel lift force that I also tore the baseplate of my rear TD3 apart ( see the Bindings Review section for TD3 metal fatigue) during ATC this year.

18 days straight riding at ATC produced some rubbing points and rear leg shin bang while using the standard liners so I've just ordered a pair of Intuition liners. Have to wait till August to try the result.

Overall, I'm happy with the change to UPZ. Flex control is OK with the inbuilt spring system and there is an aftermarket Italian spring system thread on Bomber if you want more. I ride with my rear boot with as much fore and aft flex as possible, while I keep the front foot pretty stiff, and I've ridden the UPZs in walk mode in powder with no issues.

Happy to talk more about the mods I made if you want.

Edited by SunSurfer
Add detail, correct UPZ seller

You can scout the bay for Dalbello CarveX / CRX. They are the same boot as HSP but with the ski soles. Tip to tip sole length is identical too. 

The new version, developed from CarveX, seems to be the Panterra. Mind you, the sole length is slightly longer then on the previous ones. 

no boot better than HSP, ever ;)

I guess (pics of problem will help for diag) your problem is because you use soft rubbery heel with bail bindings: that setup SURELY break off heel ledge sooner or later - I saw a lot of best boots ever broken due to riding them with softish heel pads... after that usually you can use your boot happily with INTEC bindings. if you use strati - NEVER use rubbery soft heels, use plastic heels only (you can use INTEC heels as hard heels with bail bindings if you have no original hard heels,  but new HSPs have two - soft/hard - heel/toe pads in box from factory)

Bomber offers a nice way to try Deeluxes in your living room risk free.  425s are narrower than 700s.  I don't know if UPZ offers a similar trial program, but if not they'd be easy to sell as they are popular for racing.  I switched from Deeluxe to UPZ this year and the UPZ are a better fit for me, although I upgraded them with Intuition liners and stiffer tongues.

Good luck. I was in the same situation. I broke heel piece on two Head boots. It was always front one with regular TD1 and 2. It was probably the weakest point of these boots. The first generations of HSP  especially regular Stratos no Stratos Pro was the best, by my count. I think they change plastic composition later. I tried UPZ RC 8 and ABT but they don't work for me. So far the best for me I combo AT boots Scarpa/ Dynafits Zzeros. Currently I am trying 0 degree/ Icelantic ski boots. They are actually Deeluxe 325 with regular ski soles. I did some significant modifications to these, still do not like them at powder and bumps even  I am riding them in locked. Probably not grinding in summer.