Note to New Members ×

Setup help. Need more "highback"

JRAZZ

2 hours ago, erazz said:

Tried that.  Patrollers didn't like it :D

All kidding aside, I tried to rotate my hips forward during a heelside and washed out the back foot instantaneously. Just raising my head and looking where I'm going (aka across the hill) helps tremendously.  I also see the benefits of "reaching for the knee" but the moment I tried to rotate my hips I washed out.  Any ideas? 

Might have you and odd job do the same drill on sunday, for different reasons

• Like 2

3 hours ago, erazz said:

but the moment I tried to rotate my hips I washed out.  Any ideas? 

As Corey suggest above, odds are good that the action of rotating your pelvis anti-clockwise removed weight from the rear heel. Ergo, the back end of the board can't follow the path established by the front end, and you get 'wash'.

Take a minute on the board indoors, and see what kind of monkey motion you'll need to stand with some rotation, meanwhile weighting both feet.

Unless you're engaged in some form of steer-countersteer effort at slow speed, (suspect probably not). there's no practical point to rotating while turning. Also minimal gain from standing with your pelvis rotated past the angle of the front foot.

With the flat front binding, do you still feel a need for more highback? Does your front leg still wind up straight? Or?

On really flat terrain, can you rail arc-to-arc with only one foot clipped in?

Edited by Beckmann AG
gazpacho

2 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

With the flat front binding, do you still feel a need for more highback? Does your front leg still wind up straight? Or?

Nope.  The flat front binding solved that problem. 

2 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

On really flat terrain, can you rail arc-to-arc with only one foot clipped in?

Rail?  I don't rail :D

But I can easily move from edge to edge. 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Perhaps you also rolled your weight forwards? Try to keep your weight centered as well. Once you get used to the motion, it'll become natura

Very possible.  I have a tendency to lean on the back foot and sometimes overcompensate.  I'll keep an eye out for that.

The interesting part is that I was doing really well without the hip rotation.  I'll go to Mario Sunday School (MSS?) and see what we come up with :D

I think Corey is talking about the problem of your hips lining up with your old softboot stance instead of the new stance, ie people tend to revert to what they know. Basically your hips should align with your stance or maybe with your lead foot. If you look at my avatar I think I'm lined up with the lead foot but I am not trying to get them towards the nose. Reaching for your front boot with your back hand helps achieve good alignment and angulation. 

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

6 hours ago, erazz said:

Nope.  The flat front binding solved that problem. 

Rail?  I don't rail :D

But I can easily move from edge to edge. 

The interesting part is that I was doing really well without the hip rotation.  

So one could assume the original problem has been resolved to your satisfaction?

And a new one has arisen based on adding movements to the process?

Be advised that if you cannot link clean turns arc-to-arc from a 'simple' posture, you're likely to complicate matters by adding 'reach-arounds' and other forms of physical origami.

You may find that when function follows form, you're traveling a dead-end street. 

• 1 month later...

My biggest revelation on heel side turns came as a result of being coached by Bobby Bugs to "Crouch and Really Look Up Hill" not just across the hill, way up hill.  That'll rotate the shoulders which pulls the hips around, drives the back knee forward, down and in.  For me, it was awesome!

• Like 2