Note to New Members ×

Carving Moves

softbootsurfer

could be...with 12 go pros placed accordingly...

a large roller appears on the run ahead...we start a hard frontside bottom turn up towards the top...as we reach the apex, our feet and board are in the air while our upper body is hanging back, we land the edge backside and the board starts to load back up from the compression, as the body ends up over the loaded deck we go into full body backside just avoiding going high side by totally relaxing and allowing the torque to exit across our chest, which is now just inches above our deck...:eek: 

Edited by softbootsailer

Frontside Backside...it is what Poppen, Milosivich, Tom and Jake  and really everybody but a few here on this forum refuse to except, these people were trying to SURF down the mountain, hence the terminology...even Bauer and the other euro HB riders in his Book written in 87 ( which we have a signed copy of here ) use the terms frontside backside...so you change the term and go Duh !!! Frontside Backside mean what? and the purpose of this thread was to try and share some exceptional moments while Carving...and trust me the difference between pulling off the Backside Floater and Going Highside is very close...

1988 a.JPG

b.JPG

31 minutes ago, softbootsailer said:

These people were trying to SURF down the mountain, hence the terminology...even Bauer and the other euro HB riders in his Book written in 87 ( which we have a signed copy of here ) use the terms frontside backside...so you change the term and go Duh !!!

I totally agree; we need to cut the BS and unite around a common terminology. When someone tells me, "Korpergewicht Druckpunkt," it's not as if there's any doubt about their meaning. Though, incidentally, it does sound like something that happened to me in prison...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

I totally agree; we need to cut the BS and unite around a common terminology. When someone tells me, "Korpergewicht Druckpunkt," it's not as if there's any doubt about their meaning. Though, incidentally, it does sound like something that happened to me in prison...

that must be why they wrote Frontside and Backside at the bottom of the pages in English, for people such as yourself ...:sleep:

look again...

586af4efde95e_1988a.JPG.4e8f8c287d27ab524dd46bbbfa64c9ab.JPG

SB, I looked up the surfing floaters... It's more of a freestyle trick ;) I think closest thing on snowboard would be coming towards a rail/box in a carve, then doing a 50/50 or a board slide. I guess one could do it in the pipe too... Until you show us a vid of what you had on your mind, of course. 

As for the front/back vs heal/toe turns, we've discussed it to nauseum on these boards. You seem to like to steer the pot with it, I don't quite understand why... You are on the site where huge majority of people use the heel/toe terminology for turning, just as both of North American snowboard teaching associations do, too. Frankly, it is pretty irrelevant what few old surfers used to say 20-30 years ago. This is snowboarding, a well defined sport, with own terminology, for decades. That being said, I hugely prefer our roots and influence coming from surfing, or sideways skiing, then from street skateboarding like many youngsters would like to believe. 

a large roller appears on the run ahead...we start a hard TOEside bottom turn up towards the top...as we reach the apex, our feet and board are in the air while our upper body is hanging back, we land the HEELside edge and the board starts to load back up from the compression, as the body ends up over the loaded board we go into full body HEELside just avoiding going high side by totally relaxing and allowing the torque to exit across our chest, which is now just inches above our board...

There is a translated version.  I still don't understand it.  It sounds you are talking about a hand drag???

I do not want my chest inches above the board at any time.  Sounds like an emergency room visit waiting to happen...

Edited by *Ace*

I'm sure you have done the end of this Ace...where you come as close to going high side as you can without going highside, instead of flying through the air upside down from a front flip, you wean off the energy by your chest actually catching the front of the board and from there you stand back up and continue on...maybe my 3 straps allow something a HB would not, I don't know about that...if you add the first part where the loading to release over the top and free fall to full body load at the apex before going high side, that is the Floater part...

I use terms I have used for 60 years across three different disciplines using the exact same stance...sorry if these terms bother people or they are confusing...I certainly mean no disrespect

Edited by softbootsailer

It's just that there's no point in saying frontside/backside when talking about carving or turning a snowboard.  The terms are easily and often confused and interchanged. Heelside and toeside are unambiguous and immediately recognizable to anyone, so it's far more helpful to others to use them.

• Like 1

I want to say you are talking about the "cross-under" technique?

Lets say you are talking about that guy in the pink boots in the picture above transitioning to his next turn.  Are you trying to say that his upper body(mass) would continue in straight towards the camera as his lower body and legs cross under him to the next edge?  Still carving but not changing direction down the fall line?

Edited by *Ace*

Ace, if you picture his body way back almost on the ground rather than up front where he is in the pic and he loaded earlier on the other side of the roller with a bottom or TOE turn and then in the air goes to HEEL side landing and when the board loads from the compression it comes back up and under the rider where it then creates to much load and forces the Highside that is calmed by a totally relaxed body where the highside is dissapated and allows the run to continue...it has happened maybe a total of 3 times in all my years, but must say it was a thrill when it happened, and I would think all HB out there are familiar with a Highside situation...which can lead to shoulder surgeries or broken legs from being unable to dissipate the energy...

Edited by softbootsailer

23 hours ago, softbootsailer said:

that must be why they wrote Frontside and Backside at the bottom of the pages in English, for people such as yourself ...

People such as myself prefer unambiguous and concrete discriptors, which is why I've been using "poop-side" and "pee-side" for years. The looks on people's faces suggest they know exactly what I mean and are astonished by my genius. 

• Like 8

In Europe seems everyone also uses backside frontside...untranslated, because we happen not to be able in french for example to use easily the translation from toeside heelside that would be: "sur le coté des orteils" and "sur le coté des talons" ( same goes for Poop and Pee side :))

;)

N

• Like 1

the Backside Floater is a recovery move to avoid going high side...

I think I figured out the so called confusion, Jack and Blue are Goofy...rather than be Goofy, they think the terms should be Toe and Heel so as to eliminate a Regular or Goofy Stance altogether and make everyone the same...I knew a few Goofy surfers who felt the same way, how Goofy is that?  If you cannot understand my post, just move on OK

Here are some Frontside and Backside turns from the other morning...:biggthump 

Edited by softbootsailer

21 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

It's just that there's no point in saying frontside/backside when talking about carving or turning a snowboard.  The terms are easily and often confused and interchanged. Heelside and toeside are unambiguous and immediately recognizable to anyone, so it's far more helpful to others to use them.

+1 !   :biggthump   Totally agree....

6 hours ago, nils said:

In Europe seems everyone also uses backside frontside...untranslated, because we happen not to be able in french for example to use easily the translation from toeside heelside that would be: "sur le coté des orteils" and "sur le coté des talons" ( same goes for Poop and Pee side :))

;)

N

AFAIC, I never use backside or frontside terms as Jack explained it. I'm French, from Europe and teach in French Spanish & English. As toes and heels are a direct reference to our body it's a lot more easy to understand.  It's of course a personal point of view and maybe a little off topic as well.......:ph34r:

On 2017-01-03 at 1:20 PM, softbootsailer said:

I use terms I have used for 60 years across three different disciplines using the exact same stance...sorry if these terms bother people or they are confusing...I certainly mean no disrespect

In surfing, frontside and backside refer to how you face the wave, so a frontside off the lip is opposite rotation to a frontside bottom turn. Surfers think of snowboarding as a series of bottom turns.  Those of us from a pure skateboarding background have no such thing as a bottom turn so we think of them as a series of turns at the lip of the ramp.  You'll note that a backside rotation off a straight jump is clockwise for a regular skater, the opposite rotation to how you reference turns.

That's why I just say "heelside" or "toeside", it's much clearer.  Although I must admit I'm leaning much more towards "poopside" or "peeside" now.

• Like 2