Note to New Members ×

the Same run

softbootsurfer

Wondered, do you do the same run over and over to know what is coming and work on your turns?

When it is flat light, of course you do the same run...when teaching skiing or Snowboarding, I would take them on the same run over and over, so they knew what was coming and where the big bumps where ...this would eliminate the unknown so they could focus on turning...

there is no snow and warm temps here...I promise no more questions after it Snows :biggthump

Edited by softbootsailer

Mario is mostly correct, but... Consistency is a great building block. if you can make 4-6 runs on just one slope within 2 hrs. time, do it. If it has a chairlift directly in line-of-sight, this can help you just by finding, and re-living your last run by following your tracks. I try NOT to run in my Exact Line, but rather a bit above or below the previous run, then compare tracks.

While it's a bit late to note here in the NorEast, I do highly recommend Longboard or SlalomBoard Skating using the same mindset of sorting out what's working through repetition. Tarmac is SO MUCH More Consistent, and it allows experimentation just because little adaptation is required from surface changes, while Snow changes from hour-to-hour. If you think along the lines of only making one change per every two runs, then you can self-guide to find just what's working, and what isn't. Few of us have that built-in self discipline, so, a partner-in-crime and second pair of eyes can help greatly. In that, I was blessed early on in my riding, as I rode for 2 decades with K. Burnham, and we pushed each other mercilessly, picking out the other's Oops moments, and reminding each other of, at least, what Not To Do!

• Like 1

Remember a day at Milk, kept doing the same non stop t to b on the Summit Express starting at 8:45, around noon at the top, Darren the liftie came out and signaled like 12 or something...soon after he was coming out with a cardboard sign noting how many runs I had done :cool: by 4:00 we reached 27 :biggthump that's a minimum of 54 miles and a lot of Carving...though towards the end I was going straight down :ph34r: 

also the Wave on Ajax off #3 is like the back of my hand, It is like a perfect point break...

Edited by softbootsailer

As to teaching, that depends on the capability of the student, and whether or not they need consistency or variability for the task at hand.

Riding the same piece over and over won't very well prepare one for the infinite variety of possibility across the mountain. Practicing only what you're good at is very limiting.

On the other hand, there's some challenge in lapping the same pitch and trying to put each turn into the corresponding ruts from the previous lap.

Traffic permitting.

I like exploring to find a good run, and then can do lots of runs on the same face if it has interesting features.  I especially love carving over rollers, though that has led to a few belly flops and back slaps.  There's an intersection of a few surfaces on Racer's Edge at Buttermilk (somewhat near the 'D' on this map: https://skimap.org/data/504/840/1371683659.jpg) that is kind of like a bowl when turning left.  I can do that all day long.  

At my local bump, I purposely try to change the tempo so I'm not just laying down rut after rut just a few inches apart.  But, about 8 times out of 10, my path intersects with the previous ruts by 1/2-way down.  It's like my mind 'sees' an optimal line and subconsciously steers me to it.  Keep in mind this is a 500' hill that's about 4 groomer passes wide.

Usually, I just pick the run with the least people on it. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, softbootsailer said:

Wondered, do you do the same run over and over to know what is coming and work on your turns?

When it is flat light, of course you do the same run...when teaching skiing or Snowboarding, I would take them on the same run over and over, so they knew what was coming and where the big bumps where ...this would eliminate the unknown so they could focus on turning...

there is no snow and warm temps here...I promise no more questions after it Snows :biggthump

I will hit the same run over, and over, and over, and over again until I have trashed either it, or myself thoroughly; whichever comes first. The other thing I like to do is alternate between two runs. 

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

I like exploring to find a good run, and then can do lots of runs on the same face if it has interesting features.  I especially love carving over rollers, though that has led to a few belly flops and back slaps.  There's an intersection of a few surfaces on Racer's Edge at Buttermilk (somewhat near the 'D' on this map: https://skimap.org/data/504/840/1371683659.jpg) that is kind of like a bowl when turning left.  I can do that all day long.  

Yep, really the reading of the terrain allows us to design our own waves (turns)...allows us to relax fully as we know what is ahead, like running a S or GS course over and over, faster and faster :)  I have told more than one person, that if I could have, or had Malibu by myself, why would I, have ever gone anywhere else...and Ajax and Milk have plenty of terrain changes, snow mass and highlands are wonderful as well...no matter the mountain I am on, I go to the waves I like the best every time, unless it is Pow and then it is a secret  :ph34r: