Note to New Members ×

Oldster needs equipment advice.

swampoodle

Hi,

I'll be turning 70 soon and am looking to find some lighter riding equipment. 

Presently riding a Donek free carve and Nidecker all mountain board. Both are 167's. Using TDll. 

Thinking of buying a pair of 'Full tilt classic ski boots
to replace my Burton reactors. 

Question:

Would this be a good boot for me?

Will this boot fit the bail on my TDll?

Would also like to get another deck. I really like what I'm ridding now. The Nidecker is always a fun board and the Donek is a rock solid ride. Would like to get a deck that is lighter and has a little more flex. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Nick

The boot that fits right and has quality construction is a good boot for you.

Personally, I've had a terrible experience with Deeluxe boots over the years. I've owned a pair of 700's and 325's. The 700's ankle hinge basically self destructed. Then the 325's I had, had issues with the buckles. The liners were worthless, also. Overall, the boots gave me nothing but quality issues.

Then I moved to UPZ RC10. The quality of these babies was immense. Day in and day out, just perfect, no issues, no quality problems, and I've used them for years now with something like 30-50 days on them per season. Additionally, the built in spring system is excellent quality. More and more people that I know have moved from Deeluxe to UPZ.

Some notes about fit:

Deeluxe: WIDE HEEL and NARROW TOE

UPZ: NARROW-MEDIUM HEEL and MEDIUM-WIDE TOE

@Jim Callen, aren't you the current owner of bomberonline? Or is that someone else? Do you know the answer to his question regarding the fit of the Full tilt classic ski boots in the TDII?

• Like 1

Jim,

The only reason I asked about the deeluxe is that it was recommended to me and was told that it would work with my alpine boards.  I do not have access to hard boot equipment in my area. Like I said, I would like to get something lighter and more comfortable. My reactors are quite heavy and I don't need that stiff of a boot. 

After reading daveo's post I'm not sure I want to go with the deeluxe. I'll check out the upz rc10. 

I want to keep riding as long as I can and I think a lighter boot and board would really help. 

I'm open to any suggestions. I appreciate the input. 

Nick

People have issues with all brands of boots.  I know Jim plain wore out some UPZs in a season.  UPZs fit my feet well, so that's what I use.  I ride a LOT fewer days than Jim, so I've probably got a few (10!) years ahead of me.  

I wonder if a Full Tilt boot would be softer or stiffer than a Reactor...

Full Tilts work with TD3 Standards.  This is a good solution if you still like to ski and want to do both on the same day.  Full Tilts and certain other boots are a very similar construction (3 piece) as snowboard hardboots.  If skiing isn't a factor, I'd recommend staying with a snowboard hardboot as they are shorter in length so they will allow lower binding angles.  I believe Bomber allows you to return unused boots if you order them and try them on and they don't fit.  I don't know if UPZ does.  Donek will work with you on a new board if you contact them.

• Like 1

@swampoodle I believe UPZ make a softer, lighter boot called the ATB.

Horses for courses. Quality issues aside, Deeluxe never fit my lower volume feet properly.

@corey_dyck how did he wear them out? Never really heard of a boot being worn out. Interesting. Liners yes, boots, not so much.

I have replaced my liners with Palau liners though, stock ones weren't to my liking. The Palau are quite nice, I must say. A lot of UPZ riders use Palau liners, I've come to notice.

There is a reasonably detailed guide detailing the fit of different boots somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. I think Fin also did a write up or video? It escapes my memory.

My feet are super happy in UPZ :D

@Jack Michaud. I know you're quite knowledgeable. Have you ever heard of any ankle hinge issues on the Deeluxe 700's?

5 minutes ago, daveo said:

@Jack Michaud. I know you're quite knowledgeable. Have you ever heard of any ankle hinge issues on the Deeluxe 700's?

Yes, I've broken several of them, it's infuriating.  The new 425 has a different ankle hinge but is a narrower boot.  I like the wider fit of 700s but I'm trying UPZ RC10s finally.  They seem to fit me well in my living room.

16 minutes ago, daveo said:

@corey_dyck how did he wear them out? Never really heard of a boot being worn out. Interesting. Liners yes, boots, not so much.

From what I saw, buckle issues.  All the springs failed, and I think buckles were breaking too.  I've broken two of the toothed strips on my UPZs, but these were used boots so I don't know the history.  I'm at about 50 days on a new set of UPZs with no breakage.  I think Jim had a few hundred days on his, plus bootpacking in Aspen.  

I've also seen Deeluxe ankle ratchet straps break.  Everything breaks with enough use!  But, let's get Nick a good pair of boots.  

Thanks for the replys. I have a very regular size foot 9.5 US (27.5). I do not down hill ski.

I'll check with Donek about a board but a new one might be out of my price range. My freecarve is a great ride but it would be nice to have a board that is a bit lighter and less stiff. 

Nick

@corey_dyck any moving part will wear over time. I just found my Deeluxe boots were annoyingly always having broken parts. Ugh

@Jack Michaud great that you're trying UPZ. Hope they work out for you.

@swampoodle did @Jim Callen end up contacting you regarding the fit of the Full Tilt boots fitting into the Bomber TDII bindings? I'm actually curious about this myself.

It's a shame that Bomberonline doesn't offer the great UPZ boot for all the loyal members here. It would be a great service.

Edited by daveo

On 22/08/2016 at 11:06 AM, swampoodle said:

Thinking of buying a pair of 'Full tilt classic ski boots

Will this boot fit the bail on my TDll?

@Jack Michaud, I think @swampoodle said TD2, not TD3. Perhaps @Jim Callen would be the best one to answer this question since he owns Bomber Industries, the manufacturer of the TD2. Surprised he hasn't chimed back in yet. This mystery will one day be solved, lads, don't worry.

^

Though I will add that there was a subtle change in the heel bail length (and curvature) between TD1 and 2. The earlier bail was shorter overall, and offered a more secure fit to a ski boot sole. 

Most probably wouldn't notice the difference on the flexier TD2.

Odds are good this change was carried forward to the TD3.

Boots come apart when the user repeatedly exceeds the design limitations, or the plastic 'ages out'.

Check new board specs carefully, as one might assume a metal board to be heavier than a glass board. 

Edited by Beckmann AG

howdy

I would recommend getting a snowboard hardboot for more range of movement.

a fellow hardbooter here uses a rossi ski boot and had to cut into it to get it to flex right.

his style of riding is upright all the time and i'm thinking it's because of his gear.

get a snowboard hardboot and you have already won the battle...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Most of the people here can answer basic questions about the Bomber line of bindings.  

If "people here" refers to forum members, your assumption must be grossly overstated.

Personally, I've had TD2 and TD3 bindings and didn't know whether Full Tilt ski boots would fit into TD2. Although, I now prefer the lighter and more natural flex of the F2 bindings.

What bindings do you currently use @swampoodle

46 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Me definition of a nice cruising set up for the mature rider.  Raichle boot , TD1's , and a nice Coiler AM glass board of your desired length. Probably obtainable for about $300. US if you shop from Canadian sellers!

I can second this, but I'd definitely swap out those stiff TD1 for a set of nice F2 bindings.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, daveo said:

If "people here" refers to forum members, your assumption must be grossly overstated.

@daveo, you're new here, and you seem younger.  We're glad to have new members, but this is a relatively small, respectful forum with people with a lot of experience. I'd recommend paying deference to senior forum members, and thinking twice before you hit submit reply. You could learn a lot from many people here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Me definition of a nice cruising set up for the mature rider.  Raichle boot , TD1's , and a nice Coiler AM glass board of your desired length. Probably obtainable for about $300. US if you shop from Canadian sellers!

Stiff, non-adjustable bindings, obsolete boots, and a chattery glass board?