Note to New Members ×

Riding UPZ in walk mode

SEJ

I picked up some RC10s from Thor. They have the older SWEET Raichle liners in them. He said this is one shell that is safe to ride in walk mode, but I should verify. Said that's the way he rode most the time. For those of you who don't know him, he's a VERY powerful rider.

Any input about the safety of this?

While flipping the 'drink+drive lever' to the 'open' position does allow for greater forward flex (and a "softer" touch in those turns), my concern is in the 'other' turn... On my Dee-Lux's, I turn that knob 90*, and that keeps my 'forward lean' at the mid-point ("3", on a 1-5 scale), flip down the lever, and it's usually 'all good'.  The UPZ has those springs in there, too, which may allow for a 'mushy' heelside support if not adjusted for. If your angles are much above 45*, this may not be the better way to ride. Offhand, I can't give advice on the springs; perhaps other members have a clue? (I Hope)

Watch for excess heel-lift. Also, check the pins on the slide mechanism where it attaches to the shell, as they'll take a bit more of a 'jolt' as the the cuffs moves more freely. Note, too, that the 'flex' has to distribute energy somewhere, and the usual weak spot is the hinge-cuff T-nuts/bolts. So, take the liners out,do a visual check, and be reasonably certain that those are intact and not-too-loose.

In terms of the boot shell/cuff, riding this way shouldn't be an extra strain on them, save for the tounges getting bent a bit more.

I've rode using this tactic for awhile now (but, alas, mostly on Dee-Lux boots), and it's a good way to get a blend of both hardboot and softboot peformance from your equipment.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

I ride them in walk mode all the time... Then my CRS syndrome lightens up a bit and I realize why I can't hold a decent edge and i lock them into position![emoji41][emoji106]

Haha, I'm ashamed to say that I've done the same thing a few times.  It wasn't obvious enough, just that I was really struggling that morning and couldn't figure out why.  Then I went to switch my boots to walk-mode in the lodge and felt stupid. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is better to ride not in walk mode and adjust the flex of the boots with the springs and using a softer or stiffer tounge. If you are lightweight and the boots feel too stiff with the black tounges you might try the red ones? i find that on the Virus UPZ boot that I ride I like a gray toungue on the front foot and black on the rear foot. I would guess that you can still get toungues that will your rc10? If you need even more foward movement from the springs you can get springs that have more travel that the UPZ springs. I have seen them on you tube as there is a video showing how to install them. i don't know where you get the longer springs?  You will be putting a lot of extra stress on the metal tab that holds the cuff in the shell. The springs allow movement but also help support the cuff and keep it from moving too far. A friend of mine who races said that some riders have broken the UPZ boot by cranking the springs all the way down which makes it stiffer but now you are putting too much leverage on the cuff which will break the metal tab. The way to fix that would be to use the super stiff dark grey toungue instead of adjusting the springs all the way closed. 

Edited by snowboardfast

I have hyper-flexed my rear ankle in riding mode while tomahawking down the mountain. I do believe that it would have been a season-ender for me in waliking mode. BTW, I ride UPZ RC10 with stock black tongues. I have been riding yellow Head Stratos Pro in walking mode for a couple of seasons though and it always felt fine. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by avante

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2016 at 1:58 PM, corey_dyck said:

Haha, I'm ashamed to say that I've done the same thing a few times.  It wasn't obvious enough, just that I was really struggling that morning and couldn't figure out why.  Then I went to switch my boots to walk-mode in the lodge and felt stupid. 

There are dozens of us... dozens. 

Just kidding... I think everyone's done this... I know I have... 

I'll ride in walk in real soft stuff... the rest of the time I prefer ride mode in my UPZs.

Edited by lonbordin

On 6/24/2016 at 5:35 PM, avante said:

I have hyper-flexed my rear ankle in riding mode while tomahawking down the mountain. I do believe that it would have been a season-ender for me in waliking mode. BTW, I ride UPZ RC10 with stock black tongues. I have been riding yellow Head Stratos Pro in walking mode for a couple of seasons though and it always felt fine. Just my 2 cents.

Tomahawking? Sorry, not a term I know or understand. Can you explain/expand what you mean?

• 2 weeks later...