Note to New Members ×

Wheel Bite

bobble

I can't find a seismic to save my life. Which poppies? Looking to get new trucks and need the best resource. 220 lbs. southern cal.

Slopestar, if you just click into the Link I posted on Don't Trip trucks, it'll bring you to the Cyloslaloms. Once on Stoked, just look thru the Don't Trip trucks for the features (like adjustable angles!) or width (look for spacers-on-axles; always nice when you can get the wheel width/axle length right! I run my Nersh Tophats Inverted because they're too damn Fat [worse than Ampul or Sims Comp slaloms from the early 70's!!] to fit on Estlund's super-S-camber. 

I'll scout for the 'goods' on Seismics, but for now, only 'wide' [180mm axle] variants are in stores, and the 'skinny' versions are custom-order [Monkey Wrench Works had the last batch, don't know if Eric is still fixing those?], where they put true 8mm axles into cut-down hangers to fit width and traction demands.

Anyone (beside Drayton, that is..) ever see the Virage Vite truck? I had a few braincells involved in that project on the concept/design/milling end of it, but it was too expensive (going from the material-to-finish) to make work using the CNC tech at hand. I think it would've been a decent truck to race or LDP with, but it's cheaper to find old Lazers and send them to MWW and let Eric fix what's weak.

For now, Don't Trips are one of perhaps 7 'good' front choices, and are in the 'better' catagory, and are in the top 5 rear-truck choices as well (not counting extinct stuff like Radkals or PVD's). As the flow ebbs from street to speed, it's at times hard to catch that wave as it passes.... 

I'll scout for the 'goods' on Seismics, but for now, only 'wide' [180mm axle] variants are in stores, and the 'skinny' versions are custom-order [Monkey Wrench Works had the last batch, don't know if Eric is still fixing those?], where they put true 8mm axles into cut-down hangers to fit width and traction demands.

Eric (MWW) posted on Facebook not too long ago that Dan (Seismic) asked him to finish modding all the slalom hangers he had leftover from back when he did them for him. So 'new' modded ones should appear soon, if they are not out there already.

Anyone (beside Drayton, that is..) ever see the Virage Vite truck? I had a few braincells involved in that project on the concept/design/milling end of it, but it was too expensive (going from the material-to-finish) to make work using the CNC tech at hand. I think it would've been a decent truck to race or LDP with, but it's cheaper to find old Lazers and send them to MWW and let Eric fix what's weak.

Never tried the Vite, but I have a Virage Front that I use for Tight and it started working pretty well for me once I wedged it to 62°. I have a Geezer-X Bennett that I don't use anymore, and I have been thinking lately to add a spherical to the hanger to setup a different TS setup.

For now, Don't Trips are one of perhaps 7 'good' front choices, and are in the 'better' catagory, and are in the top 5 rear-truck choices as well (not counting extinct stuff like Radkals or PVD's). As the flow ebbs from street to speed, it's at times hard to catch that wave as it passes....

Personnaly, I think Don't Trips rank pretty much at the top. Even more so if you are not counting extinct stuff. Don't Trips are pretty much the best option readily available in North America. And haven't heard of any failures up to now, either. Curious to hear what your 7 'good' front and top 5 rear choices are.

Cool to see they are already available! Not cheap because they are modified for slalom racing. Cut to 90mm, 100mm or 130mm, faced hangers and straight 8mm axles. Geezer-X work is second to none. I still own 3 of his modded trucks, and they are top notch. He even goes as far as machining the speedrings in the axle nuts. Don't know if he did it for these, though.

Edited by Mig

It is all relative. A high performance slalom skateboard is still cheaper than any alpine carving/racing setup. And you can ride it for free anywhere there's fairly good payment without having to buy a lift ticket or season pass. :)

• Like 3

I've been using Chris Chaput's Liquid Truck, and I've been pretty impressed. It also has a really good clearance, making wheel bite unlikely with most normal sized wheels.

And Mig is right, skate gear is a fraction of what Alpine stuff costs. $125? I don't think there is a single item you can get for Alpine costing that! I'm in the process of swapping around my race boards, and the cost is ruinous...

post-3310-0-05309700-1460566372_thumb.jp

Edited by Emdee406

It is all relative. A high performance slalom skateboard is still cheaper than any alpine carving/racing setup. And you can ride it for free anywhere there's fairly good payment without having to buy a lift ticket or season pass. :)

So true! And one can tinker even more then with alpine setups :)

A modified Bennett, Seismic, set of Zigs, a Fulbeg, few wedges and a few spare bushings, about $300, for an entry level high performance setup is an affordable price...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I've been using Chris Chaput's Liquid Truck, and I've been pretty impressed. It also has a really good clearance, making wheel bite unlikely with most normal sized wheels.

And Mig is right, skate gear is a fraction of what Alpine stuff costs. $125? I don't think there is a single item you can get for Alpine costing that! I'm in the process of swapping around my race boards, and the cost is ruinous...

Gave the Liquids a few tries last fall, and they are not for me. Way too divey and the change in wheelbase when used in the rear sucks. Most decks need redrilling to keep the axle/wheels in the sweet spot. But I would definitely use them on a flatland pumping or LDP setup. They are super smooth, precise, and pump effortlessly at flatland speeds. Just not for slalom racing. I have always said that cutting down a longboard truck does not turn it into a slalom truck. ;)
  • Like 1

Mig, have you given up on your trusty Splitfires?

Yes... and no. I have sold a couple of them, but still keep a few just in case. :)

I am now using DontTrip Slalocybins on my main Tight and Hybrid setups, and the swedish 161s (Ettsexett) on my main GS setup. Basically, they are the only full precision slalom trucks I trust at my weight, apart from my trusty Splitfires. I got used easily to the full sphericals with the 161s. Something I could not do with other trucks. And I gave geometry input to Dan for the Slalocybins, and was sold on them when I rode a proto set.

Gave the Liquids a few tries last fall, and they are not for me. Way too divey and the change in wheelbase when used in the rear sucks. Most decks need redrilling to keep the axle/wheels in the sweet spot. But I would definitely use them on a flatland pumping or LDP setup. They are super smooth, precise, and pump effortlessly at flatland speeds. Just not for slalom racing. I have always said that cutting down a longboard truck does not turn it into a slalom truck. ;)

I know what you mean, I seem to be adjusting to them ok, this was my first time out on them, while on a layover in Paris last summer.

https://youtu.be/8pSKLYaXWmw

Edited by Emdee406
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not that it's my LD/pump/push cruiser [the E. Estlund inverse S-Camber from ECES '01 is], my trusty Bozi 36" has become my machine for this one bikepath alongside I-89, right past Whaleback Ski Hill, as the bikepath  goes up some 300 Ft. within two miles, and back down again.  With a width of only 9 ft., one MUST turn, a Lot, to be able to stay in control. Going either way, East/West, you're facing pitches of 5% gradient, which, when you have a two-lane road, aren't "scary", but concerning, but, as it is, it's a one-lane road in width, so, yeah, it's "SCARY" If you Miss a turn heading down. Luckily, it's flat after each hill (it's a 'center-rise' event), so there is 'runout' if you're carrying some speed. So it becomes a great trainer for turn placement! DON'T MISS!, and you're good! BTW, the Bozi, while comfy at 40 mph, can do [at 20-ish speeds] 7-ft cone placements. Previously, I ran my old [1994] Joyride with a 20" wheelbase here, often with smaller, stickier wheels. Adding the speed, and slightly larger turn-arc of the Bozi has made a familiar hill new again, and added to the 'Oops' factor, but I try mightily Not To Oops It !! I get in about 1 mile of pumping/pushing Uphill or flat, and 3/4 mile of AAUUGGHH! downhill from one Exit to the next; Double that for return 'loops' [no friends around to ferry me back to my car].  I can only do this once/twice a month, which is fine; my heart doesn't need that much excitement these days...

Sounds like fun! I wish I could bomb steep narrow paths with confidence there are so many sweet freshly  paved hill/paths  here  in Flagstaff.. this year maybe a new helmet ,more pads, more work on my slides & deader feeling bushings on the roe will help to calm down my nerves.

Never notice this section before.

Half of post doesn't even read like English to me lol(need the decoder ring)...

skateboard newbie here...  I got a "toy" off Amazon and just learning with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Downhill-Longboard-Skateboard-34-5-Inch/dp/B008NKMOEO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

wheel bite sounded bad.

Just to piggy back on Corey/Bobble's choice of Roeracing:

How would one configure for a LDP(pump) board; I value pain free learning above all else....  

I am not a tinker(well I don't know what the heck I am doing)...

which don't trip poppy front truck?

cost be damn!!  I will not go back to urgent care for "skate board" related incident.

https://stokedskateboards.com/roeracing-longboard-mermaid-roe-racing-carbon-fiber-ldp.html

thanks

David

Never notice this section before.

Half of post doesn't even read like English to me lol(need the decoder ring)...

skateboard newbie here...  I got a "toy" off Amazon and just learning with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Downhill-Longboard-Skateboard-34-5-Inch/dp/B008NKMOEO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

wheel bite sounded bad.

Just to piggy back on Corey/Bobble's choice of Roeracing:

How would one configure for a LDP(pump) board; I value pain free learning above all else....  

I am not a tinker(well I don't know what the heck I am doing)...

which don't trip poppy front truck?

cost be damn!!  I will not go back to urgent care for "skate board" related incident.

https://stokedskateboards.com/roeracing-longboard-mermaid-roe-racing-carbon-fiber-ldp.html

thanks

David

If you keep the Randall on the back, I'd go with one of the 125 mm Poppys.  I'd probably go with the steeper one.  But man, that's a lot of dough to sink into an LDP setup before you even learn to pump.

David

The adjustable front poppy is a nice option cause you can easily set the hanger to any angle you want.. its a good utility player..

Set up properly you can adjust the turn speed/shape,  wheel diameter  & avoid wheel bite all with a 6mm allen wrench.

You wont have to change bolt lengths , risers & wedges for minor tweaks . 

My goal was a skateboard  to simulate gs snow board turns off season.. it took a lot of time & parts to reach my goal!! if this is your goal too

I would recommend  a triton or mermaid w Jessup grip tape, Poppys adj front truck change the riptides out to venom bushings, fixed 20 deg poppy in rear keep the stock riptide bushings , Zelous brngs, & reuse the wheels , mounting bolts from the quest.  Set front truck angle to 58-63 deg.

A cheaper way is stay on the quest and get a 5,7or10degree wedge in front & flip your rear hanger over to get it lower 42degrees &check for wheel bite..

Somtimes Dont Trip has discounted poppys on the fb page..

Edited by nitro
  • Like 2

Thanks Neil/Nitro and Eric(PSR) for the response and sharing your recipe!!

"My goal was a skateboard  to simulate gs snow board turns off season"  <-- This is the goal.

Feel like every winter season it take me 2-3 weeks just to get back to where I was the previous season.

By the time I feel I got "it"; it's last day of the season.

As someone mention:  adding the cost of travel/lift ticket make LDP a bargain.

this is 2 years ago on my birthday:  Find the biggest hill I can and went to town(I actually made it down the hill).  It was going great until the end.  speed wobble freak me out and froze.

Here is the result:

ouch2