Note to New Members ×

Wheel Bite

bobble

"My goal was a skateboard  to simulate gs snow board turns off season"  <-- This is the goal.

If this is your goal, than a LDP setup is far from being the ideal one. They are somewhat flexy and made to pump and/or push on mostly flatground for long distances. Not for making GS type turns going downhill. A real GS slalom setup would be better suited for this, even ideal. A short wheelbase speedboard with trucks setup more like a slalom board also makes a great carver. You want a stiffer, predictable plateform with a wheelbase in the range of 23" to 25", and ideally some kicktail under your rear foot with the truck mounted right under it.

Sounds like you want a closed hill to practice hard turns on.. If so you dont need a ldp set up.. The kind of a dh gs set up  like Mig mentioned is ideal...
To clarify my set up let me put it this way instead,,,

My ldp set up is as close as I could get to simulating a hard dh gs turn on safer terrain during a long distance pump...safer being flat to a mild hill with a wide road... Id croak if I tried to pump a short stiff gs board for 10- 20 miles. 

My workout starts out miles from home pretty flat pump to warm up ,then its a mild dh grade I bomb into a huge neighbor hood filled with small to large hills& urban pathways , this is where I practice harder turns.. If I survive all that then its a flat grade pump home...If I want to go farther I start from home & go out then back.

cleardot.gif

• Like 1

As Nitro noted, he's doing Flats for 10-20 miles;  Here in hilly New England, I might find a few hills that go 5 miles(?), and the pitches vary greatly, so a 'dedicated' LDP set-up would be challenging to turn in time. My 'flat-or-hill' board is an odd mix of parts, and is unconventional in shape as well. It's a deep rocker that, at the rear "S" goes back flat. That pre-wedges the [Flat riser,1/2"] front truck by 10*, and wheel-wells are up front, where the back is 2" narrower and with a negative 15* wedge, the wheels don't steer too much. The only board I've seen that even comes close to the foot placement this thing has was the FiveMile Widowmaker. I'm basically in a canted stance that keeps my front toes Up, and rear heel also Up.This makes Tucking so comfy! Pushing is easy, too, as the rocker puts my 'on board' foot just 2-1/2" above the tar, even with big old Nersh TopHats (which are HUGE, even wider than Avilas!) on it.  I run a old-school truck, Ranalli [kind of like a tall Indy] with Z-Roller true-to-8mm axles in them. Sort of lets me choose whether I'm going to Bomb hills, Slide if needed, Carve hard (tho w/ a 33" wheelbase, some narrower lanes are scary!), Pump along, or Skogg + Push.  But, it's 'flatland' range is maybe 4 miles (or, more correctly MY range is that.  Huffin') and some bike paths around here are just too steep for the width/turn arc, unless I chew up a shoe foot-braking.

At some point, I'd like to talk to the guys at Sandwich Tech in Littleton, and see if a wider, shorter version, one with weight-precise flex and smooth concave couldn't be made. Also, I really want to change up trucks (It was too much fun with 1st-gen Seismics), probably along the lines of Don't Trips, just so I can play with the steering angles. Sorry, IF I could post up a photo of it I would, it's an odd beast, but very versatile if indeed unique.