Note to New Members ×

MADD BX168 First Test Ride

Shred Gruumer

One of my boards is the Donek Incline, which I suppose would be considered a BX board. I'm always amazed at how well that board holds an edge. It's the best do anything...go anywhere board I've ridden. If I had to settle for one board only, that would probably be the one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if I'll change the angles,, problem I have is , its ok in powder but once on groom I start to angulate and ride like my alpine boards then what happens is nothing but extreme pain.. my back foot and the muscle feels like they want to tear apart, because Im really rotating my shoulders and hips into a heel side, and since that foot is stuck at 40 degrees and my bones and spine are taking all kind of abuse.. so I stick to the high angles cause i find myself going in and out of different terrain.. but mainly groom..

OK I try the trees,,but if end up like JG! its all your fault!

Right said Shred!

I had a 170 it was too soft for me 260 BUT on nasty ice it is a weapon that nothing can match

a deck that is similar in flex and the other Madd qualities but wide enough for me ride softies with would make me really consider riding softboots more than three or four days a year

so yeah that mean I want one

Too much fun! It took me a bit to adjust to the width, the timing from edge to edge is not that of the 158 but its not supposed to be. This is a burly BX machine, dead stable at silly speeds, put it on edge and it holds like you expect from a Madd, charge it through the rough and laugh, it just blasts through. Very confident in the air, with either bombers or softies(softies feel a little underpowered on the beast, but are fully functional). Probably not a relaxing/cruiser ride but right at home on a BX course. Requires some effort but rewards in kind! Too much fun.

-Snowcoach

Allee, my RT is very happy (gets the most hill time). although i do fear that it has sensed my lust for a MADD (as well as it probably wants to move to another area. i do not care to fight it's desire to do so. i just wish i could afford it). and yeah, i know that i threatened to leave all of my current boards there, thus abandoning my RT, to "mistakenly" go home with the 170 (do you sense an alpinegirl board clearance sale?).

it was nearly impossible to pry the BX off of someone else's feet. and i don't blame him. besides, my body quit before i wanted to. and yet i still long to ride that board (drool, nyah!!!!).

so many boards to try, so little time. and to think, i almost believed it when people started saying that alpine was dying.

snowcoach, what soft bindings did you use on it?

• 3 years later...
pic # 2

that was a great day at Stratton, the Girls event and a few dudes in the mix.

PSR, Alex, PaulK , Banker, etc

So, how does the Madd BX compare to the new Coiler Schtubbys ?

similiar animal ?

that Madd BX 168 Mike had at stratton that day was on the stiff side I think, it was SO FUN to ride, snow was epic,sunny. ;)

I have a 163 with the texlium top sheet and use Burton Cartels and Burton Drivers set up at 15 and 5 size 27 mondo.

I also have a 158 F2 alpine that I ride with 65 and 60 angles.

Two different tools depending on the conditions.

My board is a lot softer flex than the carbon butterfly initially reviewed. I don't think softboot set ups are appropiate for that deck...but you could do it....Hardboots are the way to go if you have the carbon butterfly. I like how you can take the BX through everything with confidence. I find myself on the BX more often. I can really take all my hardbooting skills and apply it to my soft boot riding and push it just as if as was on my alpine. There is no doubt for me that the Madds are exceptional boards!

• 11 months later...

Holy ancient thread Batman! The demo alpine 158s and 170s Mike brought to the 2004 ECES (which also impressed a lot of people) had a similar camo topsheet, and the hokey "Madd Airlines" moniker. I believe that name came from his bid at making Kiteboards back then.

Holy ancient thread Batman! The demo alpine 158s and 170s Mike brought to the 2004 ECES (which also impressed a lot of people) had a similar camo topsheet, and the hokey "Madd Airlines" moniker. I believe that name came from his bid at making Kiteboards back then.

Cool Jack, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!! I recall one of the skateboard companies from the 80s used the "Airline" moniker too.

Yep, that is what happens when you use "Search" function :eek::biggthump

2005 origin, fell asleep for 3 years

2008 brought back to life

2009 breathed yet new life back in. (lots of Madd talk recently)

2005 origin, fell asleep for 3 years

2008 brought back to life

2009 breathed yet new life back in. (lots of Madd talk recently)

You talking snowboards? Because Madd had very good showings at the 2004 and 2006 ECES's. "Production" years included 05 to 07. In 08 Madd found themselves left behind by the Metal craze. They made some metal protos, but it was too little too late. Subsequently there was no production run that year or last year.

Madd could come back if there was a resurgence of lively glass board love, but metal boards are here to stay. Although I think the two could co-exist. Bare minimum I think any glass board built now needs to at least have a modern shape with decambered nose.

I know there are tons of hardcore madd fan here.

However MADD have left bad taste in my mouth.

The 168BX that I own delam on me.

It's the only board that ever failed on me.

All attemp to contact mfg/maker have been fruitless....

Kinda remind me of Mazda. ex Mazdaspeed Protegé. It's a great car and had a cult like following. However the Mazda just drop it. IMHO If the maker is doesn't stand behind it's product; I don't see why the customers should to be loyal to them.

Just my 2 cents.

David

:1luvu:maddly in love:1luvu:

I need an all mountain board with bombproof edge hold on steep icy chutes, decent float in the powder, nimble response in the trees & bumps, and loves to lay over carves back to the lift with a surf stance.

plates all the way

1st love was the 170 K2 TX

2nd love was the 165 K2 eldo

3rd love was the 173 Idendtity carbon

now I have a Madd 168 BX

the 24 waist is better than the previous 25+ but like me, could use a shave.

I would happily trade a couple cm width for a few cm length, say 22.5 x 178 with a tad more tail for switch in the soft. Until I can afford a custom the BX does it all & does it well, especially precision carves on hard 45* groomers.:1luvu:

I would say harder to find used then a Madd BX... I got really lucky with mine - it only had bindings mounted, but never touched the snow.

Buying new, yes, would be more then a custom Coiler. However, it is a great formula for a custom. If I was to order it, I would add even more and pointier nose, just for hack of it, when I get sloppy in fresh or chop.

You talking snowboards? Because Madd had very good showings at the 2004 and 2006 ECES's. "Production" years included 05 to 07. In 08 Madd found themselves left behind by the Metal craze. They made some metal protos, but it was too little too late. Subsequently there was no production run that year or last year.

Madd could come back if there was a resurgence of lively glass board love, but metal boards are here to stay. Although I think the two could co-exist. Bare minimum I think any glass board built now needs to at least have a modern shape with decambered nose.

No, I was referring to the thread. Sorry for any confusion.

It was a response to the "Holy ancient thread Batman!...."

Using the "Search" function often turns up old threads that are of interest, but old.

that board capped?

if so, there were a couple runs of capped stuff. some was not good, like the capped 158s and some was alright but not wonderful, like the softboot stuff, guessing they were similar to the newer BX models. they pop up in new england every now and again. seen more than one at wachusett.

I should search more.

I've got to say that in my nonexpert opinion the butterfly shape is the magic ingredient for the versatility of the flex. A full carbon topsheet or stringers under the topsheet will not feel the same, especially off piste in bumps & pow.

I'd be happy to ride any board that has that versatility but right now I'm sold on the spring of glass & carbon.

I've got to say that in my nonexpert opinion the butterfly shape is the magic ingredient for the versatility of the flex.

You could be right, but I wish it were bigger. Like the size of a Tinkler plate without holes in the middle. Although I'd be surprised if any butterfly shape like that does anything for torsion beyond the crotch of the V. Torsional stress is concentrated at 45 degrees to the long axis.