Note to New Members ×

Cold Feet

AcousticBoarder

I have had upz rc10 boots for a year or so now, m25 with original liners. When I am riding unless I put some toe warmers over my toes, I end up having to stop because my toes get too cold after about 2 hours. This even happens on a 60 degree day. I do not have any pressure points that I am aware of, my feet don't hurt, no pins and needles.

I am thinking a molded liner would help a lot, just not sure what to look at. I am thinking of going with a stiff liner and going to a red tongue on the boot to soften it up slightly.

Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions? I would rather fix the issue than put a bandaid on it. Going to try boot gloves today.

As much as I love my Hotronics heaters and would replace them in a second if/when they fail, cold feet at 60-degrees does indicate an issue with blood circulation.  I don't use my heaters above 20F or so even though I typically have cold feet.  

Hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in with advice on improving circulation.  

I am thinking a molded liner would help a lot, just not sure what to look at. I am thinking of going with a stiff liner and going to a red tongue on the boot to soften it up slightly.

Suggestions? 

Some people may disagree with me but IMO: the liner's that the UPZ boots come from are not particularly great. Swap them out with a properly molded thermo liner and you will be happier and more comfortable. I have a *very* tight fit in my boots and my feet never get cold. I'm a fan of dalbello's ID liners. But any decent thermoflex should work pretty great:

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Thermo-Flex-Liners_c_55.html

^Mileage varies. I found the foam liners simply had too much volume over large areas and caused problems that the Flo liners solved.

^^Yes, at 60 degrees cold feet in boots indicates that the fit is causing issues with circulation. Or are your bare feet cold at 60 degrees?

Yeah, I have a feeling it is a circulation issue. I would prefer not to go the hot tonics route as that is just attending to the symptoms instead of fixing the real problem.

While my feet may get chilly at 60 degrees, not as cold as they do in the boots. Today I loosened the boots just to the point that any more the buckles would open themselves and they wouldn't feel safe. I also used some boot gloves. The front foot was fine, back started to get cold feeling but not nearly as bad as it has been. I did not have any heel lift problems which was good. Custom foot beds and technique improvements I am sure compaired to before the footbeds last year.

Difficult part is just I have no idea where it is. No pressure points or any red spots on foot after taking the boots off. I were to guess, it is probably on the top of my foot, over the arch. That was most of the issue when I first went to the boot fitter.

Have dealt with this for over 30 yrs. heaters work the best. Make sure your boots are warm and dry from the start. One pair of thin nylon type socks work for me. Boot gloves can help as can applying some foot cream or lotion before your socks go on. Without heaters when I was out in frigid temps, I would last about 45 minutes before I had to go in and take the boots off to warm the toes. Then I could go out for a longer session or until lunch.

Some people have Raynaud's (to various degree) and going to get cold toes /fingers regardless.

Hottronics work amazing (tested on wife's feet, on =warm even on the hill, off = cold toes while sitting in the van !!).

If confirmed Raynaud's, meds helps.

Otherwise it's boot fitting etc as mentioned above.

I went out today again, boots loosened as yesterday, this time without the boot gloves. Toes definitely a bit colder, but not quite as bad as before.

You might try the thin UPZ liner tongues. And maybe have the footbed made lower profile, so your instep gets some more room?

The footbed is very low profile, and really forces my foot to the back of the boot to aid in increasing volume over my foot (and helps with heel hold). I have been thinking about the thin liner tongue, but didn't want to spend the money just to find it doesn't work... Think I will post in the WTB section though. Should be cheaper than new liners.

Have dealt with this for over 30 yrs. heaters work the best. Make sure your boots are warm and dry from the start. One pair of thin nylon type socks work for me. Boot gloves can help as can applying some foot cream or lotion before your socks go on. Without heaters when I was out in frigid temps, I would last about 45 minutes before I had to go in and take the boots off to warm the toes. Then I could go out for a longer session or until lunch.

Always have the boots inside before going on the hill. Last 3 days I have been less than 10 minutes between home and parking lot of my choosing. Never tried a lotion/ cream.

Some people have Raynaud's (to various degree) and going to get cold toes /fingers regardless.

Hottronics work amazing (tested on wife's feet, on =warm even on the hill, off = cold toes while sitting in the van !!).

If confirmed Raynaud's, meds helps.

Otherwise it's boot fitting etc as mentioned above.

Don't think I have Raynauds, this isn't usually an issue except with my hardboots. Honestly do not remember if I had the same problem on soft boots, and previous hardboots were just uncomfortable to begin with. 

Can Hottronics be used with an existing footbed? Not letting go of my nice custom one. Ive definitely thought about getting them before, but again, at 60 degrees out, I think there is a different issue here.

Hottronics have a small heating pad that install under the ball of your feet, then they glue a cover on top with flat wire under it. I don't have them but I think it does take some room esp if your already tight. I have the opposite problem, I need air conditioning in my boots even in low temp lol.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

^Mileage varies. I found the foam liners simply had too much volume over large areas and caused problems that the Flo liners solved.

That is interesting, do you have a particularly meaty foot? I have pretty meaty feet and have my boots downsized to pretty much a plug fit and don't have such problems with a thermo. I assume you had them molded. One of the main issues I had with the UPZ liner was that the heel area applies (way) too much pressure to the soft tissue around the ankle, restricting blood flow severely. After a few hours in them my feet felt like a block of ice. The other issue I had with them is that the tongue seems to move around, and the area around the forefoot is very thin/not well insulated. That was a few years ago, it could be the liner has changed.

I occasionally can get angry toes because of my tight fit, if I leave my boots on for say 9 hours straight  and ride hard but I never get cold feet.

Hottronics have a small heating pad that install under the ball of your feet, then they glue a cover on top with flat wire under it. I don't have them but I think it does take some room esp if your already tight. I have the opposite problem, I need air conditioning in my boots even in low temp lol.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

I tried hottronics at one point, they do work but if you can solve your problem another way I would recommend that instead: they're kind of a pain. You've gotta install the heating elements in your footbed, run the wires up your boot, and either mount the batteries on your boot or run wires up your leg so you can put them on your waistband etc ... I found them to be a bit of a hassle.

They do work however, if you can't seem to solve the problem by resolving fitment/tightness issues. I actually almost burned myself with them once (be patient, and let them warm up slowly — they can actually get quite hot!).

Edited by queequeg

That is interesting, do you have a particularly meaty foot? I have pretty meaty feet and have my boots downsized to pretty much a plug fit and don't have such problems with a thermo.

I have a fairly high instep and high arch when properly supported, very narrow heel and midfoot, wide forefoot. The amount of material that has to get redistributed in molding a thermo is just too much. The foam underfoot is a problem in that it raises my foot in the boot, where it gets narrower in front, giving less room for me forefoot.

One of the main issues I had with the UPZ liner was that the heel area applies (way) too much pressure to the soft tissue around the ankle, restricting blood flow severely. After a few hours in them my feet felt like a block of ice. The other issue I had with them is that the tongue seems to move around, and the area around the forefoot is very thin/not well insulated. That was a few years ago, it could be the liner has changed.

The heel shape works well for me. Even tighter would be fine! I still have some heel slip... Also I have a wide forefoot, so I appreciate the thinning out there; that was a huge problem with thermos, toes crushed together no matter what is done during molding. There's just not room for any foam there.

• Like 1

I have a fairly high instep and high arch when properly supported, very narrow heel and midfoot, wide forefoot. The amount of material that has to get redistributed in molding a thermo is just too much. The foam underfoot is a problem in that it raises my foot in the boot, where it gets narrower in front, giving less room for me forefoot.

The heel shape works well for me. Even tighter would be fine! I still have some heel slip... Also I have a wide forefoot, so I appreciate the thinning out there; that was a huge problem with thermos, toes crushed together no matter what is done during molding. There's just not room for any foam there.

I too have a narrow heel and medium to high instep and arch. The heel is the biggest reason I tried UPZs and I never want to go back haha. Can't say my forefoot and toes take up much room though, my toes have plenty of room to move around at the moment.

I have a narrow heel but perhaps not as narrow as yours, with a very wide forefoot, but probably an average to slightly higher than average instep height. Prior to UPZ's I had been trying to make the heads work for me but the heel pocket is way too big and I find that the mechanics of that boot to be terrible overall. I have an egyptian foot, so I ended up punching better accomodations for my big toe since the UPZ shell is designed like a greek foot. I also punched lots of width for my forefoot (as well as grinding in some heel spots for my bony heel to prevent hotspots). It's a different recipe for everyone. Edited by queequeg

hottronics.  i have them in my carving boots, ski boots, AT boots, and soft boots.  i do

not find them to be a hassle; i find them to be a blessing.

without them, i last maybe 2 hours at most temps.  i also wear thicker socks.

good luck.  cold feet ruin my day.