Note to New Members ×

molding Intuition liners

LateApex

Its the same IMO, but you will get multiple opinions on this topic.  I've done intuition liners for softies using the careful kitchen oven method with good results.  There is also the hot rice method but I don't prefer that one. 

A discussion on this with good info: http://www.epicski.com/t/62530/diy-baking-intuition-thermoflex-liners

I just got some intuition liners and was planning on using the rice method. I thought i read somewhere that you are not supposed to bake them in the oven as that can ruin them. 

As the op points out use a convection oven,

Also, if you wrap the shell in a towel and hold the opening over boiling water, using the steam to heat the shell, (wear gloves) then with the shell hot and the liner cooked in a convention oven, put them on, an even better fit, heating the shell even after the liner is fitted properly will also,,,, make a better fit.

I find that the "Heat Stacks" don't work as well as an oven does, whether it's an oven at home or a good shop. I like how an oven heats up the whole liner inside and out so that the liner can mold to your foot AND the boot shell!

I would mold my Dalbello Gold liners(made by Intuition) the same as my Thermo-Flex liners.

Again, that just my 2 cents!

As many are mentioning, a conventional oven can be a very effective tool for this.  However there are so many risks assotiated that one must take the extra steps to ensure no damage is done to the liners.  Do your homework and plan things out for a successful result.  If you continue to have doubts, go ahead and have a boot fitter complete the job for you. :)

One method was to install high-temp plastic bags (like you cook a turkey in) into your boots & then pour in hot (near boiling) water & let stand. It seems like the heat content & uniform temperature of the water would heat the liners uniformly.

However, it could be messy if you spill. 

One method was to install high-temp plastic bags (like you cook a turkey in) into your boots & then pour in hot (near boiling) water & let stand. It seems like the heat content & uniform temperature of the water would heat the liners uniformly.

However, it could be messy if you spill. 

That...is an interesting way of doing it! Do you leave the liners in the boots, and put the high-temp bag into the liner?

That sounds like a recipe for a nasty burn if you make even a tiny mistake.  Imagine dumping a half-gallon of boiling water on the floor you're standing on in socks.  :shudder:

The oven method isn't very hard.  They key is either turning off the element or putting a heat shield (tin foil) between it and the liners to avoid radiant heat burns.  Think soft-crust pizza instead of crispy-crust pizza.  Only do one at a time, and practice the whole thing a couple of times before getting them hot.