Note to New Members ×

Taking up boot volume

bruincounselor

I have a pair of Track 700's and they fit relatively well after molding the stock liners. I was out on Saturday and rode all day in them without any issues. However, towards the end of the day I snugged up the boots (They were getting pretty loose) and ran out of room at all the buckles. All the buckles are moved to the smallest spacing. I have low volume, relatively narrow feet and my toes are snug in the ends - going down a size is not an option. I have heat formed footbeds in there too.

I've considered going to a higher volume footbed (like cork); but the nearest boot guy I'd trust to do it along with reforming the liners is four hours and several hundred $$ away.

I'm thinking about adding a spacer between the liner and the bottom interior of the shell to take up some space, something like 2-4mm plastic. Has anyone done this? Is this a bad idea?

These are all day comfortable (I don't unbuckle them unless I'm done for the day) and warm. I do not want to screw that up.

What are the suggestions for those who have similar issues?

I struggled with a similar issue.  Just recently I made a spacer that goes between the liner and the shell on the bottom.  It was a kid's crazy carpet cut to shape, sanded on both sides with coarse sandpaper to reduce slipping within the shell  Then I glued a sheet of automotive cork gasket on top.  My heel used to lift slightly after a few days in a row, now it's pretty locked down.  

Sorry to all the proper bootfitters that might be cringing.  ;)  Sometimes you just need to try stuff on your own when you're hundreds of miles from a decent bootfitter.  

I downsized boots a couple of sizes a few years ago, and almost lost both big toe-nails even after punching the toe area.  My foot still lifted in the shell.  

Most any respectable ski shop will stock pre-cut shim material made by Bontex. Usually available in two thicknesses.

Or, any solid non-compressible, non-metallic material will work.  Like photographic mat board (this comes in on the thicker side of town).

Or cut a section from the neighbor kid's roll-up sled.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Deluxe are a high foot volume boot, err, especially a high calf volume boot, bomber sells head boots, no large calves required, (same for upz), do the shell test for length, bare foot into empty shell, toes to the front, only one finger should fit behind the heel, if the shells are to large, you can only fix the symptom, but the next pair will be the right size;)

At over 240 pounds I would not describe my calves as low volume. Even if I had the money Bomber doesn't have any Head boots near my size. The boot is a 27, my old ski race Nordicas are a 28.5 for comparison. I've gone as small as I can without risking loss of toes.

I'll be looking around for some appropriate plastic to space up the foot bed.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

Follow-up: 

I went to my local (and friendly) ski shop. They threw a pair of the spacers at me for free and sent me on my way.  I cut them to fit under the liners and bam. Ahhh, much snugger at the end of the day. It's always amazing to me what a few mm can do for fit.

Thanks for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...