Note to New Members ×

Asym's are back in vogue

scrutton

Stopped at a board demo day (LIb tech dealer), and half of the boards they were demoing were asymmetrical. Looks like this started up about in 2014. Oh boy, can we pull those old asyms out again?

The boards feature a deeper sidecut on the heel-side. Tips and tails have various asym look to them, depending on how much the manufacturer is wanting it to look.

An interesting development I thought.

• 5 weeks later...

I still ride a Gordo Sym-Asym, from '94. It's Heavy, paint/topcoat is peeling, and it's a Cap construction, but it looks 'normal' enuff that Jibbers never think too much of it in and around the lifts.  It does gets some notice going down the hill, though, as it turns super tight arcs, and can go pretty far up on edge (26.5 waist, 31.5 nose widths, on 118 cm of edge). I came down to the base of Sunapee last season, and a girl (on a board) just ahead of in the lift-line turned and complimented my board's "Fat Albert" base graphic, which she saw as I carved on down. She didn't compliment my riding, no, just the graphic! ;-)

Oh no, Asym's you can buy since Years now.

A lot of snowboard label (freeride/freestyle) did have one on top of the board-range.

Keep in mind, they are no goofy and regular boards. They are all twin-tips, so regular stance riders as also goofy stance riders can use the same board.

Virus ASYM 3D asymetrical raceboard

This one seems to have setback, making it difficult to sym, so, are all the asyms you speak of built with zero setback?

brian if you rode right-foot-forward i'd almost consider selling you my asym virus. almost. ;)

Thanks , I appreciate the thought.  

I have a couple dozen of regular and goofy in the collection , no shortage here :)    

An old buddy just traded in his 177 Sims asym. I definitely need to give that one a go!

saw that on ebay not too long ago Bryan, would have bought it had I any money

That was a different one.  I did not get that one.  Patience paid off and a good friend that I actually met when he was still riding this board.   The long version like this doesn't pop up very often and it is "Special" that it was a friends and I know the history personally. 

It was particularly cool trade.  I had a board that was NOS and it was the perfect size for his "Short Board"  days.   Hoping to be able to ride with him well into my sixties.    He is already a SSA rider!!!   It was hard to trade it due to the fact that I may someday need the same board.  I was saving it for myself when the 200cm boards become perhaps too wieldy for me.  NAH!! That will never happen "Says the Young Stupid Bryan in his head" .

I still have a vision of him slashing some powder waves on this thing.   Totally inappropriate use of the asym race board but he made beautiful surfy turns on it . Go figure!!

• 2 weeks later...

I ride mostly Asymetric boards, I just got the new Virus 3D that I can't wait to try it.

Anyone out there have tried this board?

Ps: I don't think that Gnu, or other all round board are true asym, you need see if the chamber is offset, and looking form the picture somethings it's not right on that board!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ride mostly Asymetric boards, I just got the new Virus 3D that I can't wait to try it.

Anyone out there have tried this board?

Ps: I don't think that Gnu, or other all round board are true asym, you need see if the chamber is offset, and looking form the picture somethings it's not right on that board!

Do you mean sidecut is offset?  It would be really tricky I would think to offset the camber?  Board would certainly not want to track when running flat? 

Love the Virus!!

In theory the offset should roughly mirror the shift of your boot angle.   Toe to heel pressure point in relation to the boot angle.   If , like me, you have an MP29 with a 70 degree angle that would be some pretty serious offset for sure!!

PS.  Asym covers allot of different methodology.    Sidecut shift.  Core built asymmetrically.  Different sidecut depths etc. They are all real.   Just different from one another.  

22ea1969d4886f3ff43fb10e447dc877.jpg

yours is all broken!! it's going the wrong way! ;)

i have a white goofy 186 from a few years ago. blows my mind the 1 day per season i ride it. when there are no rocks anywhere, the sun is splitting the sky and my legs are rock solid.

Edited by kieran
  • Like 1

To Brian, for sure the chamber but for some reason I think even the sidecut! I'm ordering a Virus Zylon Interceptor so tomorrow I'm on the phone with Frank and I'm going to doubles check.

Boot size, I'm mondo 31.

My asym 3D is in carbon fiber and I ordered the virus bindings step in any feedback about that bindings and the board to?