Note to New Members ×

Asym's are back in vogue

scrutton

• 2 weeks later...

I got out on my trusty, rusty Gordo Sym/Asym this weekend past, and it was so easy to jump on it and go!  I ride it stiff softies, with winged highbacks, as It strained my left{back} knee the last time I used plates on it (it's frippin' quick to edge, despite the width!). I kept up with my friend on his Prior 170+ and even when he was on my 182 Tanker (though, I was out-run on flats) . It's a stiff pup, and really wants you to engage the edge, but it'll tire you out by mid-mountain, making you take breaks for Oxy when you'd otherwise cruise on thru. I'll have to get back on one of the Rad-Air Souls or the Nitro asym  I've got to compare as an Asym, but it still won't be quite fair, as the Gordo is a twin-tip, with different, but equally centered, sidecuts. Anyhow, it'll have to wait until next season....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly the new trend of asymmetric soft boot boards, is to help a particular group of riders....freestylers.
When stances start to get really wide, the rider loses the ability to use much in the way of up and down (flexion and extension). They also, more importantly, lose the ability to use their hips to rotate and steer through a heel side turn.

The solution? Make the heel side of the board deeper, therefore much less effort is needed to make a heel side turn, and in fact, it now just requires leaning on the edge and riding the sidecut, without any need for hip rotation...
It is an equalizer for those riding the park, who can't make the necessary movements in their current stance. So NOT the same reason we have assume carving boards.

Edited by Emdee406
  • Like 1