Note to New Members ×

Carving on regular snowboards

freerider81

I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth it!  Being able to slide to a stop opens up up EVERY hill out there.

Haha, I live in the Prairies.  Not a real critical skill here.  ;)  I still want to learn, but am a wuss about road rash.  

Spending life trying to hook up on things that want to slide, and sliding things that want to hook up.  It's a good life.

Nice!  

Back on topic: I tried on a set of Driver X boots this past weekend.  Wow, they're a lot stiffer than I expected!  

In addition to alpine boards I've used the following "regular" boards with hardboots:

Furberg 162

Tanker 172

Burton Custom 152 w/ V-rocker

Donek Incline 160

Dupraz 5'5"

Osin 168

All the above were decent for carving groomers, but my favorite is the Furberg 162.  I've read other reviewers say rockered boards suck for carving, but I disagree.  Both the Furberg and the Burton Custom are rockered  and both carve well albeit not as well as a carve-specific alpine board.

I went to Donek to have a carving board made for myself. The price was near the same for a high end new board but it was made for me. I went in with the intention of a dedicated Hardboot alpine board and came out with a narrowed, stiffer, smaller radius BX board purposely built to ride in softboots. Some bomber power plates and this board has quickly become my go to carver and pretty much all conditions board. An amazing process and rewards that I never expected. Mig makes some sweet rides for sure but the hybrid rockers just don't give back like good old fashioned camber

I hear ya...I have been looking too, and probably looking for just what you are talking about, looking for great edge control.  I keep hovering around a Fullbag Diamond Blade.  Big time EE just for soft boot carving.  The designer, Mig Fullbag rides hard and softboots and knows what a carve is all about.  But....there really isn't any way to demo this board.....so, I remain in hover mode :)

Stop hovering and take the plunge. ;)

Ha, ha, unless Mig produces a board for mortals too, you won't be able to bend the one built for his weight and power :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Anyone can ride my boards. Just like the skateboards, I don't design the production boards for myself (except for a few protos). A few girls are riding the Blunt 156, and even one on a Hammerhead 171.

Louis, the guy in this video is 145 pounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGq2r6HRHHQ

This must be the same guy from the slalom skate community...  I didn't know they made snowboards.  I'll check that out.  I really like their skate decks.

Not to derail (bootout?) the conversation, but do a lot of you carve skateboards too?

Yes, that would be me. Thanks for appreciating my skateboards! You can expect the same ride quality from the snowboards.

Mig makes some sweet rides for sure but the hybrid rockers just don't give back like good old fashioned camber

Have you tried one of the boards? All hybrid rockers are not created equal. :) They are certainly not fully cambered profiles, in the traditional sense. The boards hold an edge surprisingly well for the type of shapes they are.

I have an ex olympian and world cup BX racer on 4 different models (Blunt 162, Blade 163, Lifer 166 and Hammerhead 171), an ex world cup and noram alpine and BX racer on a Hammerhead 181 (liked it so much, he bought a second one as a backup), ex alpine coach on a Blade 163 and Hammerhead 171 (gave up his Kessler and Volkl Coal for these), and ex provincial racer on the Blade 163 and Hammerhead 181. They all have a racing/carving background and are all ecstatic about their Fullbag Snowsurf boards.

If any of guys have questions, don't hesitate.

Edited by Mig

Anyone can ride my boards. Just like the skateboards, I don't design the production boards for myself (except for a few protos). A few girls are riding the Blunt 156, and even one on a Hammerhead 171.

Of course man. I was more pulling your leg, skateboard style ;)

I can vouch for Mig's product (skates at least): hi quality and hi performance. The Junk in the Trunk is still one my favorite slalom decks, along the ones I custom make for myself. What happened with the Junk, btw? Not listed any more?

I haven't visited your site for long time, I got nicely surprised how your snowboard part of business took of! Some exciting shapes there!

Tell us a bit about construction, we are all gear-heads here. Also, do you make any narrower versions?

Do you have any demos kicking around? You could send them this way for test ride and reviews. I'll get the Cypress instructors on them, when I do staff sessions, and also the local hardbooters.

whoa, the diamond blade looks fun. been browsing for a dedicated softboot carver; this sounds cool. how's the liveliness of the hybrid rocker / camber construction? i'm a bit wary of rockered boards (just speaking generally) - not a fan of noodly, and like some pop out of the tail.  

any construction details? where are these built?

thanks!

Of course man. I was more pulling your leg, skateboard style ;)

I can vouch for Mig's product (skates at least): hi quality and hi performance. The Junk in the Trunk is still one my favorite slalom decks, along the ones I custom make for myself. What happened with the Junk, btw? Not listed any more?

I haven't visited your site for long time, I got nicely surprised how your snowboard part of business took of! Some exciting shapes there!

Tell us a bit about construction, we are all gear-heads here. Also, do you make any narrower versions?

Do you have any demos kicking around? You could send them this way for test ride and reviews. I'll get the Cypress instructors on them, when I do staff sessions, and also the local hardbooters.

I know about the leg pulling. just didn't want other readers to think these boards were super stiff to the point of being unridable except for very fat bastards like me... :)

Junk is still available and still a favorite for TS racing for many guys out there. It was not in stock when we put the new site online but it is now. I will add it on there as soon as I can. Thanks for noticing!

About the snowboards, no narrower versions up to now as they were mainly designed to be ridden with softboots and with somewhat standard angles. Here are a few construction specs:

Base: Sintered 4000

Core: Vertically laminated Aspen that comes from the immediate area of the factory, here in Quebec.

Inserts: Stainless Hex base, 2x4 pattern

Sidewall: UHMW 30* slant

Fibre: Triaxial (top and bottom)

Edges: Rockwell 48 Carbon steel

Dampening: vulcanized rubber over edges

Topsheet: Urethane with mat finish

So pretty standard straight up stuff. No fancy tech or marketing BS. All models have the same construction. The different ride feel comes from the overall shape, flex pattern/repartition, camber profile and tip/tail rise (very low). All the specs for each model/length is on the website. You can also find them in this catalog: http://issuu.com/fullbag/docs/fullbag_snowsurf_catalog

Very few demo boards around. I have a few here in Quebec and one board is travelling for demo/reviews in the US. But the ex-olympian I was talking about is Robert Fagan. He is from your neck of the woods (North Van) and I think he rides at Cypress and Whistler when he is home. He travels a lot as he is coaching for Reign Snowboarding and still races in events he likes, like the Baker Banked Slalom next month. I might be able to arrange something with him if you want to try them when he is home.

whoa, the diamond blade looks fun. been browsing for a dedicated softboot carver; this sounds cool. how's the liveliness of the hybrid rocker / camber construction? i'm a bit wary of rockered boards (just speaking generally) - not a fan of noodly, and like some pop out of the tail.  

any construction details? where are these built?

thanks!

Here is a review a customer made on another forum, it is pretty much spot on. Construction details are in it and I also posted them in my response to B, just above. Boards are built here in Quebec. Camber on the Diamond Blade is about 4mm and extends waaaay past the insert packs. The rockered/decambered parts are just to elevate the contact points and make the transitions into turns smoother and makes the board easier to handle. Somewhat similar to the nose of modern BX boards but a bit different for the tail.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Specs:

Base: Sintered 4000

Core: Vertically laminated Aspen that comes from the immediate area of the factory, here in Quebec.

Inserts: Stainless Hex base, 2x4 pattern

Sidewall: UHMW 30* slant

Fibre: Triaxial (top and bottom)

Edges: Rockwell 48 Carbon steel

Dampening: vulcanized rubber over edges

Topsheet: Urethane with mat finish

Lenght: 163cm

Effective edge: 137.5cm

Contact lenght: 114cm

Nose width: 32.1cm

Nose lenght: 14.5cm

Waist width: 26.5cm

Tail width: 31cm

tail lenght: 11cm

Taper: 11mm

Sidecut: 8.8m

Stance: 50cm - 58cm

Setback: 2.5cm

This thing is beautiful and i cant wait to rocket down the mountain. Seems to be about a 7.5-8 on the stiffness to me when comparing to my park pickle 159(6.5) but remains extremely light despite its longer, wider shape. Additionally, the purchasing experience was on point, mig was very helpful to me right here on this forum and the board ended costing significantly less because of current exchange rates. I'll update with ride characteristics probably early this week, Bear and Summit just got 3 feet in as many days and its groomer paradise.

ACTUAL REVIEW:

Board: Fullbag Diamond Blade

Size: 163

Camber Option: Traditional camber with a little rocker in the tips

Bindings: Flow NX2-Hybrid

Stance: 22.5 Wide 24, 12 Regular

Boots: Flow Rival Size 9

My Weight: 170lbs

Resort: Snow Summit, CA

Conditions: Bluebird skies, almost no cloud cover, beautiful socal day. Started with pristine groomers on the largest base we've had in 5 years at 32* softening up as it warmed up to around 45*. Small tuesday crowd, no lift lines, wide open runs.

Flex: This board is pretty stiff overall, i would put it about an 8/10. Softens up a little in the tips due to the rocker. The torsional flex was stiff but very predictable.

Stability: This thing is STABLE. It went through/over anything in its path and was very damp with the rubber under the edges. Got it up over 40 mph and there was just the slightest chatter in the nose.

Ollies: It makes you work for it because of the flex, but holy crap when you load it and snap it off the hinge where the rocker starts it fricken launches.

Pop On Jumps: It launches with the right timing but you better be going pretty damn straight.

Butterability: Spinning on the tips was difficult but snapping 180s and ollie/nollie was way easier then i thought it would be, the rocker helps alot here. Slashing and dragging that super fun swallow tail over/on stuff was amazing fun too.

Jibbing: The board is too sexy right now to risk the rails, but the skiers in the lift lines will fix that in time and i'll report back.

Carving: This is the part the board was built for. The effective edge on this deck is nuts, i never once felt like the edge wouldnt hold over any snow conditions that were present. The rebound in the camber allows you to instantly accelerate from a couple turns and it's rock stable as fast as i took it. That extra width feels weird at first but after 2 runs or so i didnt even notice it and it allows you to take it to full flat eurocarve status with even mild forward angles. This is also where the rocker shows its real value imo, the turn initiation is soooo smooth, felt like it really made up for the slower edge to edge from the width.

Rider in Mind: The guy who wants the ultimate driving machine with some pow capability for special occasions.

Personal Thoughts: Love this board, it feels so unique to me, the performance of a bx board in a super fun very capable shape. Also the purchaseing experience was exceptional, Mig is very helpful and will answer any questions you have very quickly.

sounds spot on. thanks for the info! is pricing fixed year round, or are there deals to be had at any point? 

cheers.

Prices are in canadian dollars and shipping is free in Canada and the US. But I could add a little deal for Bomber members... :)
  • Like 1

Urethane topsheet? Nice. I've got a couple of old Glissade Big Guns with urethane topsheets, but haven't seen it used on other decks. Seems to really dampen the ride. That 181 Hammerhead looks like ideal. By the way, your signature doesn't take people to your current site!

Thanks for the heads up on the signature! It has been too long since I posted on here. It was pointing to our old URL address. I just fixed it.

Yes, topsheet is pretty cool. Less snow sticking to it too then the glossy ones we used on the first boards. And waaaay less slippery! I have ALWAYS put stomp pads on all my boards and these are the first ones I have not felt the need to put some.

The Hammerhead is an awesome board! :biggthump There are a few vids and pics on our Facebook and Instagram pages you might want to check for a better look at it.

Very few demo boards around. I have a few here in Quebec and one board is travelling for demo/reviews in the US. But the ex-olympian I was talking about is Robert Fagan. He is from your neck of the woods (North Van) and I think he rides at Cypress and Whistler when he is home. He travels a lot as he is coaching for Reign Snowboarding and still races in events he likes, like the Baker Banked Slalom next month. I might be able to arrange something with him if you want to try them when he is home.

Yes sure, if convenient for him, I'd love to try them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth I ride a Arbor A-frame regular board w/ Catek world cups and Deelux 225's.  I'm not a great carver but I go all over the mountain in all conditions with this set up. My home mountain is Mammoth and i am comfortable on the double blacks, powder, moguls, groomers and I even jump a little.  I am lighter (135 lbs and 5'9") but the A-frame is stiff enough to handle the torque and still be very versatile. I've been riding this set up for close to 8 years. 

• Like 1

Mig.....I didn't know you were on Bomber!  Good info and yes.....I need to "take the plunge" and will...... probably not until summer, but I think I'll get there.  :)

I have been for a long while but did not post very often. :)

mig - are the diamond blades stocking, or is there a production lead time? 

cheers. 

Yes, in stock. All models are in stock for the moment. They usually ship within 24 hours on business days.