Note to New Members ×

Carving on regular snowboards

freerider81

Thanks for posting Brian.  How does a board like that act on groomers?  I imagine you cant carve as good as a regular alpine board but don't those boards have smaller side cuts so you could carve at lower speeds?

Check the second link. I am riding a Tanker 200cm from 2002.   To me it rides like a truck, wide , slow edge to edge.  AND, I have to visualize being on a slalom board more like a 165cm so I don't "Overspeed" the side cut.    I have to slow it down and pretend I am on a short board (which I almost NEVER ride) so you can see in the first few turns I am trying to find my center during the apex of the board.  The left arm flailing a bit.   Fun , but not as much fun as my narrow alpine boards.  You can see that after the straight away , the next rise, I let it run a bit more.   I was trying to really crank it on the first few turns.   Great for soft groomers, probably not as much fun on the firm snow.  

This coming week I may try some carving on some even bigger freeride boards!!!  BRYAN

That thing looks like a beast.  I may have to try a regular board with hard boots some time.  A few of the places I go have short mellow runs, not very good for an alpine board and the other runs are  very short steeper runs. They are great for the kids but I get tired of them quickly.  I will look for something with a smaller side cut and see what happens.

I kept looking at the first photo and thinking, "I know Sandy "SVR" was right behind me.   I even decided that the upper track was probably his.  Then BOOM. I saw it.  There he is in green having just rounded the tree behind him.   Very cool!!!  Going to cherish this photo for ever!!

post-158-0-91057700-1453137094_thumb.jpg

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I used to hardboot in the '90s, but I've spent the last 12 years hiking for powder in soft boots.  I recently moved to a city that has quite a few smaller resorts around, and started going to them with friends.

I was riding my old Burton Supermodel 174 with 3 strap bindings, and getting frustrated by my lack of edge hold.  I started thinking it would be nice to have a softish carving setup, so I bought boots and bindings, but had not decided on a board.

So, I threw my new hard boot setup on my Supermodel for a powder/soft groomer day with about a 30 degree rear, 35 front.  I wasn't expecting much, since the board is pretty soft and has a pretty short radius.

First run felt awkward and I was regretting everything.  Second run I got my upper body squared up a little better and locked in slower carves. Third run felt awesome in the powder and on the groomers, and was amazed at what my old flexy powder rig was capable of.  As long as I didn't try to crank over too far at speed, it held an edge in soft groomers and crud, and slow speed carving was a blast!

I'm still trying to decide what kind of carving board, but I'm not really worrying about it since the snow keeps coming!  It's making me think that a stiffer regular freeride board with a bigger radius (Prior MFR?) could be a hoot on fresh snow/soft groomer days.

And thank you for all the help you all have given me!

Edited by rbaldwin

getting frustrated by my lack of edge hold.  I started thinking it would be nice to have a softish carving setup, so I bought boots and bindings, but had not decided on a board.

I'm still trying to decide what kind of carving board, but I'm not really worrying about it since the snow keeps coming! 

I hear ya...I have been looking too, and probably looking for just what you are talking about, looking for great edge control.  I keep hovering around a Fullbag Diamond Blade.  Big time EE just for soft boot carving.  The designer, Mig Fullbag rides hard and softboots and knows what a carve is all about.  But....there really isn't any way to demo this board.....so, I remain in hover mode :)

I used to hardboot in the '90s, but I've spent the last 12 years hiking for powder in soft boots. I recently moved to a city that has quite a few smaller resorts around, and started going to them with friends.

I was riding my old Burton Supermodel 174 with 3 strap bindings, and getting frustrated by my lack of edge hold. I started thinking it would be nice to have a softish carving setup, so I bought boots and bindings, but had not decided on a board.

So, I threw my new hard boot setup on my Supermodel for a powder/soft groomer day with about a 30 degree rear, 35 front. I wasn't expecting much, since the board is pretty soft and has a pretty short radius.

First run felt awkward and I was regretting everything. Second run I got my upper body squared up a little better and locked in slower carves. Third run felt awesome in the powder and on the groomers, and was amazed at what my old flexy powder rig was capable of. As long as I didn't try to crank over too far at speed, it held an edge in soft groomers and crud, and slow speed carving was a blast!

I'm still trying to decide what kind of carving board, but I'm not really worrying about it since the snow keeps coming! It's making me think that a stiffer regular freeride board with a bigger radius (Prior MFR?) could be a hoot on fresh snow/soft groomer days.

Why not try that Supermodel at about 45 front, 30-35 rear? If it feels soft, open the stance a bit by moving the rear binding back.

MFR is a great board. You can't go too wrong with it. Also look at Tankers and Steepwaters.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I used to hardboot in the '90s, but I've spent the last 12 years hiking for powder in soft boots.  I recently moved to a city that has quite a few smaller resorts around, and started going to them with friends.

I was riding my old Burton Supermodel 174 with 3 strap bindings, and getting frustrated by my lack of edge hold.  I started thinking it would be nice to have a softish carving setup, so I bought boots and bindings, but had not decided on a board.

So, I threw my new hard boot setup on my Supermodel for a powder/soft groomer day with about a 30 degree rear, 35 front.  I wasn't expecting much, since the board is pretty soft and has a pretty short radius.

First run felt awkward and I was regretting everything.  Second run I got my upper body squared up a little better and locked in slower carves. Third run felt awesome in the powder and on the groomers, and was amazed at what my old flexy powder rig was capable of.  As long as I didn't try to crank over too far at speed, it held an edge in soft groomers and crud, and slow speed carving was a blast!

I'm still trying to decide what kind of carving board, but I'm not really worrying about it since the snow keeps coming!  It's making me think that a stiffer regular freeride board with a bigger radius (Prior MFR?) could be a hoot on fresh snow/soft groomer days.

If your in spokane call in sick one day this week(powder fever) and come to Schwietzer for North Idaho Carve Event,

One of the local hardboot crew will have discount ticket vouchers At the village clocktower/cabinet view coffee shop from 7;30-8;30 each day this week.

Check the N.I.C.E. thread in the ID/WA ride board

several loaner boards are available, any of the inland nw carvers will be happy to meet up  and set you up throughout the season.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

Why not try that Supermodel at about 45 front, 30-35 rear? If it feels soft, open the stance a bit by moving the rear binding back.

MFR is a great board. You can't go too wrong with it. Also look at Tankers and Steepwaters.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'll try that this week.  Thanks.  I have a lot to process, but I like it.

If your in spokane call in sick one day this week(powder fever) and come to Schwietzer for North Idaho Carve Event,

One of the local hardboot crew will have discount ticket vouchers At the village clocktower/cabinet view coffee shop from 7;30-8;30 each day this week.

Check the N.I.C.E. thread in the ID/WA ride board

several loaner boards are available, any of the inland nw carvers will be happy to meet up  and set you up throughout the season.

Cool.  Thanks.  I was planning on going once this week anyway.  Keeping my eye on the weather!

I hear ya...I have been looking too, and probably looking for just what you are talking about, looking for great edge control.  I keep hovering around a Fullbag Diamond Blade.  Big time EE just for soft boot carving.  The designer, Mig Fullbag rides hard and softboots and knows what a carve is all about.  But....there really isn't any way to demo this board.....so, I remain in hover mode :)

This must be the same guy from the slalom skate community...  I didn't know they made snowboards.  I'll check that out.  I really like their skate decks.

Not to derail (bootout?) the conversation, but do a lot of you carve skateboards too?

soft boot carving...plus a little tricky

https://www.facebook.com/onboardmag/videos/931012766934276/

some rad creativity there. a cool clip here - not trick oriented, just some sweet charging softboot carving. all over this. great to see carving starting to catch on with the softboot ranks. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Wbxh9Jf8M&feature=em-subs_digest&app=desktop

• Like 2

Ironically, I'd like to learn to slide a skateboard but have been too scared to try.  

I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth it!  Being able to slide to a stop opens up up EVERY hill out there.

Spending life trying to hook up on things that want to slide, and sliding things that want to hook up.  It's a good life.