Note to New Members ×

Best resort I can drive to?

Dan

Hi folks, working my ass off, and dreaming of snowboarding instead. What's the best resort I can drive to from Portland, OR in February? Let's say, up to an 11 hour drive assuming winter road conditions. 

I'm going to Schweitzer in January, so that's out, and let's skip Whistler - it's great and all, but tends to be crowded all week long because it's such a destination resort. 

Looking for great grooming and low crowds. Staying near the mountain without $helling out for staying on the mountain would be nice. Canada a bonus with the current exchange rate. Sun Valley is definitely on the table, though likely at the far end of the range for distance.

So...what have you got?

Yep central BC , big white (out), silverstar, sun peaks , but its a 12hr drive ?  I have done it for years going to monashee powder snowcats .   You could drive up and do a day crystal mountain , then baker for a day , cross the border at sumas (bc wine country) and push to kelowna. From there ride silverstar and big white and stay on mountain cheap .  Revelstoke is another 2-3 hrs north from there if you wanted to push back towards sun peaks .

Jim 

Hi folks, thanks for all the suggestions. Gotta say that Sun Peaks has not been on my radar, but given these recommendations, I'm interested in checking it out. A stop at Mt. Baker and then heading to Sun Peaks could work great. 

Angie, the Trenchin' Convention is definitely on my bucket list, but it comes out to an expensive week, and I'm feeling cheap. Anyway, gear whoring in the style to which I have become accustomed kind of requires showing up with a station wagon.  :smashfrea

Cuban, I have been trying to talk my wife into a Tahoe trip for years, but she grew up in the Bay Area and just isn't interested. Depending on how February shakes out, maybe I'll have a chance to sneak down solo for a long weekend. Where are you planning on riding? 

Edited by Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Interior BC/Alberta is packed with decent resorts spaced an hour or two apart.  Red, Panorama*, Silver Star, Kimberly, Apex*, Sun Peaks, Fernie, Castle Peak and more.  If you can take at least a week you can, with a bit of planning, hit a different resort every day and not have to do any epic hauls.  If you don't want to battle the I-5 corridor, come up 97, make a detour to White Pass* (stay in Yakima or at the pass (a little pricey), then Mission*, then a 4-hour drive to Penticton through a small border crossing (short lines).  From there you can make one of several loop tours, depending on your time, budget and weather.  Drop me a note if you want to spend a day at White Pass - I might be able to host you at my ski club for a night, depending on the date.

1 USD = 1.40 CAD as I write this.  That's just nuts.  If that doesn't encourage US tourism to Canada I don't know what will.  It surprises me how many Americans are unaware of this, but we are famous for being unaware of everything.  I'd spend a day in Vancouver just hanging out and go to Richmond and get what might be some of the finest Chinese food on the west coast.  You could go up to the Prior factory and buy a splitboard while asking them if they will ever update their alpine boards.  This will help out Canada as they transition from an oil based economy to one based on marijuana.  It's totally win-win.

This will help out Canada as they transition from an oil based economy to one based on marijuana.  It's totally win-win.

Haha!  That was unexpected.  I think Coiler may be selling a LOT of boards to kick-start the Ontario economy.  That custom Coiler $800 Canadian board is now under $600 US.  Wow.  Unfortunately, that Donek Legacy that has caught my eye for $800 US is now over $1100 Canadian.  Ouch.