Note to New Members ×

Vertical 360 Carve

RCrobar

Yesterday the fourth edition of the Burton Peace Park series was televised. 

The 20 minute movie has the usual unreal jumps and spins for from some of the best young riders at the top of their game; these young guys really do RIP!

At the 10:00 minute mark they have a two and a half minute section called 'Surf's Up' that I think many carvers might really enjoy.  

Something must be going crazy in Burton land, because of the next two quotes from the movie:

'For once in snowboarding history carving is cool.'

'It's good to see people carving in 2015.'

At the 10:27 to 10:30 mark they show a few VERTICLE, fully laid out, euro, extreme, body slide type carves!

At the 11:32 mark is shows one of the smoothest 360 carves I think I have ever seen; lots of speed when entering and exiting the 360 carve.

I enjoyed the movie and really enjoyed the Surf's Up section, thought others in the carving community might enjoy it as well.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

Haha!!

Admittedly it is hard to disagree with your thoughts on carving being cool, but I am an eternal optimist:)

Turning with a burm does make it easier. It's an easy way to do 360 degree carves since you can accelerate out of the turn

I can't disagree with your thoughts on the 360 carve, I simply was stoked by the fluid motion of the move ... difficulty didn't really matter.

Seeing a carve like the one in the picture below, in this huge pipe, in a young mans Burton Video, makes me think our little carving community has had a tiny bit of carving influence on these riders.  Like I said, I am an eternal optimist.  

Regardless, I can't help but enjoy the creativity and energy of these talented young riders.

Cheers

Rob

post-171-0-52167500-1449029575_thumb.png

Edited by RCrobar

...Seeing a carve like the one in the picture below, in this huge pipe, in a young mans Burton Video, makes me think our little carving community has had a tiny bit of carving influence on these riders.  Like I said, I am an eternal optimist.  ...

The move is the same, although there's only so many ways you can turn a board.

Actually I think it looks more sensible in a pipe than on a piste, personally ;-) 

I'm more curious that people still ride pipes - haven't seen one for years. Are they really coming back in fashion?

I remember looping an inverted heel edge on the earthen side of our former freestyle aerial jump. The instructor I was riding with at that moment laughed so hard, she fell over backward. Something to do with the feet being higher than the head...

That was on a PJ6 and Variplates. No doubt the 'rotated quadratic isotopic sidecut' had more to do with it than actual skill.

I'm more curious that people still ride pipes - haven't seen one for years. Are they really coming back in fashion?

Probably depends on location/market.  They're certainly not cheap to build and maintain, particularly if you have to make all of the snow.  If you want to market the thing, it has to be a 'super-pipe', or 'SuperDuperPipe' or something like that.  One problem is that as the pipes have grown in size, the number of riders capable of actually using them without a change of undies has , if you will, 'dropped'.

Our former superpipe has lain fallow for two seasons, and I haven't heard too many complaints about not having one. Granted, we do have some of the most enviable natural terrain in the region.  Don't recall the exact numbers, but I think it took the better part of two weeks, between making the snow, rough shaping, and final cut.

It may not be typical, but BX courses have supplanted pipes here and there, in part because nearly anyone of any age can wander through the contours and come out encouraged by the experience.

And one need not have comprehensive command of the board, either.

Correct Jack,  the new forum software changed that.  Would you like me to delete your post? 

Sure.  This is definitely unusual.  This is the only forum I know of that won't allow post deletion.  It makes no sense because you can just edit your post to something else, like I did.  I think allowing edits and deletes within a time limit makes sense if the goal is to discourage post-ghosting.  Please delete this too.

Edited by Jack Michaud

^

They didn't even leave the earthworks alone for 'natural contour'?

Nope. Apparently, they always planned to get rid of it after the Olympics. Cost of maintenance and liability.

I wonder, if they have had left it, maybe I wouldn't have broken my hip in the easiest ski slalom course I've ever ridden, built on the same spot year later...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk