Note to New Members ×

Liner molding question

J0hn

I picked up a pair of Thermo Flex DEL 141 liners from Bomber to replace the older thermo's that had packed out.  These liners seem really nice, and are definitely higher volume than the ones they replaced.  I molded them a couple of weeks ago and they both felt great at the time.  But I went riding last weekend and the toe of the left boot does not have enough room and it's really crushing my toes.  About every second run I had to go inside and take the boot off for a few minutes.  I know I could just remold that liner, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a clever way to modify only part of the liner?  If I could just punch the toe out a bit, I'd be all set.  I was wondering about putting a shoe tree in there, or some kind of expansion device.  Anyone done this before?  Or should I just remold using a slightly thicker toe cap and call it a day?

Thanks,

J0hn

I always struggle with toe room. I now add a second neoprene strip along the end of my toes in addition to the toe cap.

Before I figured that out, I cut a hole in a sheet of cardboard that the toe area fit through. Then used a hair dryer on that area. It worked well, with only that area softening.

If you need more room in the toe box . . .  during the next heat/remold, try cranking the buckle in the toe area one notch tighter than previously.  It will feel snug during the mold but it should afford comfortable wiggle room for the toes once complete.  During the next wearing, return to the prior (looser) position.

Go to a professional.  Let them do it for you.  We do not recommend molding your own liners.

Sure you can do it yourself, but the results are not as good as what a professional bootfitter can do for you.  Especially when things go awry, they can fix it for you very easily, and the cost is pretty cheap when it's your carving comfort that's at stake.

You can often gain a bit of toe room by spot heating the hindquarters of the liner and sucking your foot further back in the shell.

If the problem is primarily with the front foot, then you may want to take a closer look at your binding configuration.  If you lever your calf agains the boot cuff on every heelside, liner heating alone won't resolve the pain.

You're not at that point yet, but I've often thinned that type of liner on the grinder for specific problem areas.  This, as fine tuning after punching the shell.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Thank you for all of the suggestions and comments.  I am having issues with the toe of my rear foot, not the front.  I've been to a boot fitter before, but have molded liners successfully myself many times.  I feel like I'm 95% there, but fully remolding means anything could change, and I just need to fix one spot.  I think I will try heating the heel area and backing my foot up a bit as Beckmann suggests.  And then redoing the toe if needed with a larger toe cap.  I really like the idea of poking the toe through a piece of cardboard before heating; great tip!

I work as a bootfitter and have learned a few tricks for dealing with specific areas in an Intuition heat mold style liner. As suggested above you can grind the liner itself, generally this works well so long as you maintain enough material to keep the liner from tearing. What I find works best is using a heated boot stretching press and working on the liner the same way you do a plastic shell. I generally like this method as it keeps the liner in better condition than grinding, the obvious draw back is it requires boot fitting tools.

Edited by forrest