Note to New Members ×

Hardboots Only

andiss

Just a curiosity thread, and i'm too lazy to search the forum.  I am coming from of a less gear travel approach.

Im thinking of bringing 2 boards on my next trip but if I can get away with - only one pair of boots and one pair of bindings.......

I have a snowboard background but been only surfing for the last 15years so i rather carve than jump..

My softboot bindings are 15year old burton customs - on their last legs - and i have a pair of hardboot bindings and boots.

Edited by andiss

Lots of folks on this forum are hardboot only on all manner of boards and binding set ups. The topic has been discussed quite a bit over the years- do a google site: bomberonline.com search and you'll see loads of specifics. Makes travel easier, especially if you are getting close to baggage limits already.

Your situation and goals are completely dependent on the conditions of the mountain you are traveling to.  There is not one answer or setup that can be considered the holy grail of snowboarding, especially with your 15 year old equipment.

What are your goals with bringing only one binding setup and two boards?  Are you trying to cover all your bases: one board for groomers, one for powder?  Are you traveling with friends who ski or snowboard and like to do a mix of powder and groomers?  

Most airlines allow up to 50 lbs for ski/snowboard bags, depending on the base weight of the bag, you can put a lot of stuff in there: I regularly take 3 decks ( alpine, powder, all mountain free ride), hard boots and soft boots.  I carry the hard boot bindings with me on the plane since they are heavy and the soft boot gear is super light weight.  So you can get away with traveling with both.

For lightweight travel, you can do it all with soft gear.  Since you haven't been on snow for the last 15 years, its going to take a while to get your mountain legs and technique back, assuming you had it to begin with.  Just take your stiffest and your softest board and have fun. You should have all your bases covered.    For the ultimate in lightweight travel, rent all your stuff at the mountain.

I don't recommend bringing hard boots as your only setup because there is a higher chance that you are not going to like it. I regularly switch to a soft setup when traveling so I can enjoy being on the mountain with friends the whole day. This year, I plan on only bringing soft goods on some of my trips to lighten the load as well.

Edited by breeseomatic

After many years of trial and error, my setup is:

One pair of hardboots

Two pairs of liners (soft and very hard)

Three boards (172 all mountain board, 185 carving or GS board, a universal powder board)

Id take the softboots only if there was something really softboot specific I wanted to do like teach or hike out a bit further.

I don't own any soft gear made in this century.  Haven't missed it, but I haven't been in more than a foot of powder in that time either.  As Joe said, it depends highly on your needs/wants.  

I'd rather use hardboots in epic powder than softboots on epic groom, but that's just me.  

• Like 2

For me I think it would really depend on what your hardboot setup is like.  If you are rocking a really stiff boot/binding combination, then that is not the most versatile setup and I would maybe consider bringing along the softies if you think you'll be getting off the hardpack.  If you have a softer setup then it can go most anywhere but the park.

I say go hardboots all the way.  Your 15 year old burton gear can't have the support that hardboots provide, and hardboots on pow boards are always a great choice, albeit that does depend on what your hardboot setup is like.

Ultimately though, it comes down to personal preference.  Go with your gut.

Yeah, as others have stated, the most accurate answer is probably "it depends". Having said that, I've been hard-boot only for in-bounds stuff for the last 10 years or so, and honestly don't miss softies. Some might say that's because I don't know what I'm missing -- maybe they're right -- but hardboots work great on my powder boards, and it is really convenient to only have one pair of boots to worry about. 

Only thing I would change: rather than bringing just a single set of bindings, I would be tempted to have both boards set up with bindings. If you are riding powder in the morning and then want to change out to a different board to ride groom (or tracked-out crud) later in the day, it sucks to have to switch bindings on the spot. Much more convenient to just have both boards set up and ready to go. 

Only thing I would change: rather than bringing just a single set of bindings, I would be tempted to have both boards set up with bindings. If you are riding powder in the morning and then want to change out to a different board to ride groom (or tracked-out crud) later in the day, it sucks to have to switch bindings on the spot. Much more convenient to just have both boards set up and ready to go.

Heck yes! I leave the second board locked up on the ski rack. Don't even need to go inside to change.

• Like 1

Ok so my current setup is a 160cm slalom board from and a 169cm all mountain

I'm going preseason Alps so will be hard packed and probably not super long runs and no powder.

I'm going with a skier

I'm new to hardboots but have no interest in softboot anymore I never really did jump that much anyway

The gear I have is cheap old unused stuff so I could/should by new as planning more trips in 2016 - 2017 as kids are getting just old enough to start ski and snowboard.

And again coming from surfing - I rather carve then jump!

Edited by andiss

Yeah, as others have stated, the most accurate answer is probably "it depends". Having said that, I've been hard-boot only for in-bounds stuff for the last 10 years or so, and honestly don't miss softies. Some might say that's because I don't know what I'm missing -- maybe they're right -- but hardboots work great on my powder boards, and it is really convenient to only have one pair of boots to worry about. 

Heck yes! I leave the second board locked up on the ski rack. Don't even need to go inside to change.

I'm with Dan & Corey, the convenience of switching from a carver to all mt or powder board that's waiting in the rack set up and ready to go is a big deal for me.

For travel I use a dakine bag w/boot pockets that fits my173x25 all mt/pow board + my 165 or 174x21 all mt carver. Pretty much covers all the bases outside the park.

Love the idea of 2 liners (stiff/soft), just like having 2 pair of boots. I change out liners often to get more appropriate flex for the board/conditions, good for de-funking on multi day trips to the slopes.

Love the idea of 2 liners (stiff/soft), just like having 2 pair of boots. I change out liners often to get more appropriate flex for the board/conditions, good for de-funking on multi day trips to the slopes.

10-4, the use of different liners and a capable spring system (with two different sets of spring stiffness) has made my Deeluxe boots into something truly universal.

For powder and choppy conditions I use the old red Raichle thermoliners which are super soft and swap in the soft spring set.

For groom I use an ultrastiff pair of Intuition liners and stiff springs, like riding totally different boots.

I just found the question and... oh, I like that answer ;-)

I don't care what other people wear on their feet. People who tell you hard boots don't work in powder are incorrect. Which type of footwear works best for an individual would be... up to the individual.

The trick, in my view, is to use the right board. My guess is that a lot of hard booters use "hard boot" style boards in powder, and that doesn't work in my opinion (the boards are almost all designed for hard pack railing). They conclude that "hard boots" don't work, where as in fact riding an SL board in deep powder is what doesn't work (been there, done that).

There is, in my opinion, a style issue related to the footwear, in that you have to decide how you want to stand and how you're going to ride.

Edited by philw