Note to New Members ×

Open Letter to Jake and Donna Burton Carpenter

Jack M

I have nothing to do with this, but it's rather interesting.  I'm a fan of Burton, despite their exit from Alpine, because last time I checked they were the number 1 snowboard company in the world, and the #2 and #3 top snowboard companies were actually ski companies.  Wouldn't it be a shame if the #1 snowboard company was a ski company.  I love the story of Burton and the success they have created.  I hope they look into this.

http://yobeat.com/2015/08/24/an-open-letter-to-jake-and-donna-burton-carpenter/

Edited by Jack Michaud

From what I've read and heard from industry friends that have worked for Burton HQ over 14 years/partnered with Burton, there seems to be some genuine disdain for the leadership that has fundamentally run the direction of Burton. Jake's health has been poor, in and out of the helm and now back out. Some say it's the Dacyshyn's-some blame the desire to be a year round lifestyle business rather than core snowboarding. Like Jack, I have been a fan of Burton, however, I'd prefer to support the product and brand of what I identify with. Can't say there has been much of Burton recently that I can identify with. In a time where snowboarding seems to backslide in growing new consumers, the #1 snowboarding company appears to have some challenging work ahead. Too bad. It would be great to hear the voices and inputs of the past Burton riders who have moved on or been moved on.  

I love the story of Burton and the success they have created.

I love Burton too, but more in the abstract than in any real sense. They have done some oddball stuff over the past few years, things you might expect from a company that was taken over by pod-people, things like sending the US Snowboarding team to the Olympics in grandma's quilt.

The fact that a "Chief Creative Officer" is purportedly acting as a Number Two probably isn't a good sign, at least for people who are looking for more than fashion from a snowboard company. I'm pretty sure most of us like to think the values of the companies we support align with our own. I'm just not sure what Burton stands for anymore, in stark contrast to competitors like Jones, Arbor, Never Summer, Mervyn (maybe sticking to board building is the key?). I know that, despite my pleas, twice a year, Burton sends us a massive, expensively produced, full color catalog printed on cardstock that's full of almost nothing but clothes that I could have bought at Ragstock in the 80s. Nothing about the medium or the message appeals. It's Abercrombie and Fitch with dreadlocks and body odor. It's especially odd, since the last thing I bought from Burton was a helmet five seasons ago. It seems to me they need to either target the kids that are not yet interested in snowboarding or their parents that want them to be and I can't imagine they've hit either group squarely.

...last time I checked they were the number 1 snowboard company in the world, and the #2 and #3 top snowboard companies were actually ski companies.  Wouldn't it be a shame if the #1 snowboard company was a ski company.

True that. It's a sad story. Thank heavens for niche operators that do one thing (or some things) better than anyone else!

Hmm. Good thing I stuck with Mervin MFG for good number of years (even used to work for them). Burton... pretty much lost their charm with me personally. Only thing I liked was their softboots binding. Last one I have is a El Cartel but I have not ridden in years... been skiing mostly and thankfully, Mervin MFG DO make skis and they're primarily a snowboard company. 

Good God! I just looked on that Instagram page. Back ten years ago, I knew something was wrong when they switched over to the inline inserts. Especially this year, as I pointed out to my wife that Burton was making or selling tents. She is a skier and said, "That doesn't make any sense". I said, " I guess they aren't selling any snowboards..."

and these 2 instagram accounts photos (listed in the comments):

https://instagram.com/amdacyshyn/

https://instagram.com/ivankoloff

Dag. I look at the second one and all I can think of is this. Sean Martin, if a stout, bushily bearded man in a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and overly joyous manner approaches you offering his creative "services," run the other way!

^

^

Are we talking 'Hellboy' Rasputin, or Rasputin 'Classic'?

Dicey hand either way, given that TN2 was terrible at shaping public opinion, whereas B-Corp has excelled in that field.  Also, Raspy had limited influence and was generally viewed with suspicion by most of the House.  Bad Santa+Elf appear to have had the run of the place and the benefit of limited sycophancy.

On the other hand, would like more detail on how you perceive the Faust analogy, as to which player is in which role.  Valid comparison, but could go either way.

in short, I call.

The authors of the letter are cowards, plain and simple. Anonymous letters that imply that two people may or may not be involved in a bunch of BS...very weak. The authors are likely lower level employees who do not understand how corporate America works. Sorry your core little company got big, but that's called success. Bringing in marketing professionals who don't ride probably made sense from a corporate level. The allegations of drug use based on Instagram photos? Pointless.

Stand up for yourself, produce some real evidence, and don't hide behind anonymous internet cloaks.

Donna's response letter was weak, but better than the original.

Edited by tex1230

omg, what the heck is wrong with German people??

Hey I take offense to that ;o) When I lived in Vienna, we use to put shoes out for Saint Nicholas day I think it was December 6th. My younger brother got in trouble and got a visit from Krampus which resulted in his shoes being filled with coal and sticks vs. candy. It was a joke but ruined my brother for a while...

• Like 1

The authors of the letter are cowards, plain and simple. Anonymous letters that imply that two people may or may not be involved in a bunch of BS...very weak. The authors are likely lower level employees who do not understand how corporate America works. Sorry your core little company got big, but that's called success. Bringing in marketing professionals who don't ride probably made sense from a corporate level. The allegations of drug use based on Instagram photos? Pointless.

Stand up for yourself, produce some real evidence, and don't hide behind anonymous internet cloaks.

Donna's response letter was weak, but better than the original.

You're right in theory, but in practice the accuser probably wants to avoid a defamation/slander/libel/whatever lawsuit.

Jack, 

Were you somehow under the impression that 'German Engineering' was really about design?

It's actually a complex coping mechanism conflating compartmentalization with denial and repression.

...To deal with some of the societal 'difficulties'.

Pretty Grimm, no?

Geoff, Did you read Struwwelpeter when you were young?

My memories of St Nicholas day involve chocolate and shoes.  Maybe that's where the problems began....

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

...despite my pleas, twice a year, Burton sends us a massive, expensively produced, full color catalog printed on cardstock that's full of almost nothing but clothes that I could have bought at Ragstock in the 80s.

(I'm quoting myself. Is this even legal?). So, the aforementioned catalog came today, featuring this little revelation:

"Burton has stepped back into the studio with L.A.M.B. to put together a collection that's intrinsically Gwen Stefani. The collection coincided with her time writing new songs, and her music and creativity manifest in the design."

I put it into Google Translate and the result was, "We had a couple of executives who wanted to meet Gwen Stefani so we ponied up a bunch of cash and they got to be part of her boozy entourage for the weekend in LA. It was totally sweet. Here are some clothes."

Hey, is that Fonzie over there? What's he doing on waterskis? Is he wearing his leather jacket in the ocean? What's the swimming near the ramp? OH MY GOD...!

• 3 weeks later...

"Burton has stepped back into the studio with L.A.M.B. to put together a collection that's intrinsically Gwen Stefani. The collection coincided with her time writing new songs, and her music and creativity manifest in the design."

LML, I thought this was just your unique sense of humor.  I even copied the quote and googled it.  Only your post came up so I thought the world was safe and God was in his heaven.  Then I searched just for Burton and Gwen Stefani.  :freak3:   Wow... WTF!?! I just don't get this anymore.  

I'm debating trading in my old Burton and just riding a cookie sheet in a pair of high-tops when the powder hits. 

Gobsmacked... that is the word I'm looking for.

Edited by st_lupo