Note to New Members ×

Any WRX owners?

Mike T

Looking at replacing my 10 y.o. Outback XT.    Toying with the idea of getting a WRX.    I test drove the 2015's (both MT6 and CVT... and was surprised at how much I liked the CVT, although I'd be tempted to get the manual anyway) and was pretty blown away.     Plenty of power and holy s&1t does it hold the road.   

My Monster 184 fits lying flat behind the driver's seat set (set for me) w/ back seat down, with about 1cm to spare, I checked :)     In fact the amount of room for boards is virtually identical to my Outback.   

Of course I would need a to put a rack on it to carry my mountain bike around when I don't want to do one of rides from my house.   Hopefully I can find something where the crossbars and feet are easily removable and don't leave a mark when I know I won't be biking for some time.

I'd likely put Nokian WRG3's or perhaps Hakkapeliitta R2's on for winter... those tires on a Subie AWD ought to provide all the winter traction one could want.    

Looking for some thoughts from those who have actual experience which a WRX or something similar in winter.   Not really interested in theories from non-owners.   Don't forget my Outback XT has plenty of power... I know what it's like to operate a vehicle with nontrivial amounts of power in the snow... and am 100% comfortable with that aspect of it.   

If you're thinking "why not just get a Forester XT"... I test drove that too.   I enjoyed it... but the one thing that bugs me about my Outback is the cornering.   I shoulda bought a Legacy GT instead 10 years ago but didn't know better.   The Forester would be a step down rather than two steps up in that department... and it actually has less room for snowboards lying flat :)     And costs a little more.   And is about the same on gas.   

Anyways, thoughts?

Fin has one but I don't think it's moved in a decade or something. :p ;)

I've owned an 02 WRX and an 06 STI. Both were very fun cars! I actually preferred the WRX for sliding around on snow/ice/gravel as the STI active differential was always trying to 'fix' what it thought I was trying to do.

Subarus are a little quirky when doing the non-routine maintenance. Change the spark plugs? Take out the washer bottle and another plastic cover. Need new bushings on the lower rear control arms? Get a torch, the long bolt through the rear knuckle is certainly seized in place. The newer cars have much improved suspension geometry than the older ones, so they handle better on pavement. Subarus have very stout structures, possibly in excess of what's tested in current crash tests. I recall that the 'jaws of life' couldn't cut the B-pillars of the 02-07 cars; there was a special technique needed to get through/around them.

They're gas hogs, but you probably knew that with your Outback experience. I've also heard that Subaru runs the the newer engines VERY lean well into boost in an effort to get better fuel economy numbers. This is very hard on the engine with detonation becoming almost common, so there have been a few piston ringland failures on cars driven hard. Don't people buy WRXs to drive them hard?

I traded my 02 WRX on a 2015 Mazda 3. Just as fun going into the corner, not at all fun coming out of the corner with FWD and an open diff. But it uses 1/2 the gas my WRX did, and 87 octane at that which is $0.75 cheaper per gallon than 91 octane up here. It's a good fit for a fairly boring highway commute and occasional 4 hour trips to a local ski hill.

Have you considered a Golf R as an alternative?  I have the R32, its predecessor.  With the AWD and good winter tires (I use Michelins) it is pretty much unstoppable, except for the clearance issue which I think would be similar for the WRX.  The only real issue I have with it is mileage, the R is supposed be much better with the turbo 4 as opposed to the VR6 I have.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I shoulda bought a Legacy GT instead 10 years ago but didn't know better. 

I'd pretty much kill for an 05 Legacy GT Spec B (although love my 08 FXT ... despite the recent clutch issue). Get the WRX! I believe "Mr. Stratton" has a pretty sweet Leggy.

Edited by queequeg

@Neil, do you carry boards on the roof or inside the car?
@Corey, had front control arm bushings replaced on my Outback... Several hours of labor costs and was warned about it in advance. I'd probably do Cobb Stage 1 as soon as the break-in period is over like I did on my Outback... Their tune runs a bit richer or so I am told

Edited by Mike T

Mike I carry them inside the car.  The back seats fold down flat.  If you have a really long board you might have to slide up the passenger seat.  You could check it out on any Golf, they all work the same.  There's enough room in the back to carry a bicycle, if you remove the front wheel.

I've never driven the Subie but from what I've read, the VWs are nicer daily drivers but not as fast if that's your thing. 

Just doing a little googling I don't think the 2015 R is available yet in the US, but maybe soon - check with the dealer if you're serious about going dub.   Audi S3 is the same platform and drivetrain I think.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Mike I carry them inside the car.  The back seats fold down flat.  If you have a really long board you might have to slide up the passenger seat.  You could check it out on any Golf, they all work the same.  There's enough room in the back to carry a bicycle, if you remove the front wheel.

I've never driven the Subie but from what I've read, the VWs are nicer daily drivers but not as fast if that's your thing. 

Just doing a little googling I don't think the 2015 R is available yet in the US, but maybe soon - check with the dealer if you're serious about going dub.   Audi S3 is the same platform and drivetrain I think.

Thanks Neil - I parked next to a Golf GTI the other day, his 174 skis were in diagonally.    Definitely less space.  The S3 looks longer?  It does share the same drivetrain.   The Golf R is priced more like a STI here in the US, and the GTI (priced more like the WRX) is FWD.    Which, I know, should be enough with the snow tires I mention above, but I like AWD on dry curvy mountain roads too :)

S3 and Golf R are more $ than I want to spend FWIW.   

Edited by Mike T

Older Subarus were built to last. Newer ones definitely lack the quality of material that will stand up like your older one. Thinner metal, thinner carpet, thinner leather. Driving aids by way of camera and lane warning will be useless in snow and slush conditions. Engine are entirely different from what was in your older car. Go like hell but a lot of toyota  like characteristics. Oil filter is easier to get at ! CVT is very responsive and one of the reasons mileage is improved but a standard is always a positive selling feature as far as I'm concerned. You will be losing some ground clearance  if that will be an issue ? Corey mentions ringland failure but that only applies to unlucky people .Trailer hitch bike rack or roof rack do you park in a garage ? No worries if it's hanging off the back. Spare keys cost a lot more now as well.  Corey do the new WRX Sti's use ARP head studs ?

@lowrider and @Neil:   Yeah, the ground clearance is most of what gives me pause.   I already use a roof-mounted bike rack on my Outback, this would be no different.    I'm hoping someone who actually drives one of these in snow can chime in :)

As far as being "built to last" I felt like my 2005 is about where the bodies and chassis started being less-built-to-last.   My engine has held up better than the chassis and body for sure!

Edited by Mike T

I'm hoping someone who actually drives one of these in snow can chime in :)

I've done silly stuff and survived.  Been towed out a few times when over-optimistic.  IIRC, the new WRXs have open front and possibly center diffs, so their deep snow bashing ability will be reduced by one-wheel spinning.  

My WRX and STI handled snow very well, but they're not a 4x4 truck.  I never got stuck in a city or any road that's been plowed in the last 24 hours.  I did get completely high-centered on a country road that drifted in badly.  

I also got stuck in a muddy rallycross.  It was really slick and I had arrived in that position mostly sideways so I couldn't even back out along my own ruts.  AWD has its limits!  

My STI on the ice: 

Fun in the summer on a road course:

(skip to 2:34 for the blooper reel)

@Corey - My main worry is that I would have issues getting off my street onto the main road, or get out of a <Mt Bachelor parking spot when it dumps whilst parked.    I'll lookup the ground clearance of some FWD cars that I see up there often - regular Imprezas, Legacys, Altimas, Maximas, Camrys, Priuses, etc and see how much lower the WRX is.   

Are you allowed studs  in Oregon ? They are not allowed where I live but were when I was a young un. Love to see them come back but I don't think people would be able to re-learn how to drive  with them. ( easy on the gas easy one the brake!) Would be a lot of fun to tour around in the Subie with 4 studded snows. 

Are you allowed studs  in Oregon ? They are not allowed where I live but were when I was a young un. Love to see them come back but I don't think people would be able to re-learn how to drive  with them. ( easy on the gas easy one the brake!) Would be a lot of fun to tour around in the Subie with 4 studded snows. 

Studs are legal here... I could run them for 5 months a year on my Outback... but I don't. Hakkapeliittas, or similar, have worked better for me on pretty much anything except a sheet of ice. 

Edited by Mike T

Did the low ground clearance ever cause you any headaches?  Did you do any winter driving and or driving on dirt/gravel roads?    

No, the ground clearance never caused any problems.  It is low, but not that low.  I did not think it was really any lower than most regular non awd sedans. 

I drove it in the winter quite a bit, actually from PA to VT to ECES in 2012, Thurs night into Friday, I think they got a decent amount of snow that day and night.  I would say that on roads, that were packed down or plowed somewhat, it was actually better than a 4wd truck.  I did not have any issues in snow with it, and I think that in untouched snow, the ground clearance would not matter all that much.  It would be piled up plowed snow I would worry about.  But, in that kind of snow, I never had any issues at intersections and side streets where snow gets piled up.

You do need snow tires though, the stock tires are useless in the snow.  I used Dunlop Wintersport 3D I think they were.  They were good in snow and did not give up a ton on dry/wet roads.

I drove it on dirt roads and gravel quite a bit also, my cabin where I hunt and fish etc is around 2 miles of dirt to get to.  It worked fine in that regard, and I think that you can play with the differential for that if some issues.  I also drove it up a power line, very loose shale and small rock on the "road."  It did fine with that also.  One hunting season we ended up with a bit of snow that then melted, and made a complete muddy mess of the road, and it did fine up the hills on the road, actually, with the summer tires.  I had inches of mud caked in everywhere possible from those couple of days.

I know the new WRX CVT has the differentials and the si drive like the STi does.  I think the manual WRX has open diffs, a friend of mine had an Impreza, and it was nowhere near as good in the snow or low traction situations as the STi was.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Timeless- sounds like it should be fine for careful winter driving with capable snow tires, and careful driving on unpaved roads for mountain biking.   That's really all I need.   No need to take it camping - my wife's Outback will go on those trips.   

One more thing. Have you checked your insurance? I just checked today. 30 yrs old clean driving no tickets accidents etc. Discounts for various things, a WRX was more than double my Tundra. The Tundra has a sticker of 9k more also.

I guess it helps to be older... my insurance would go up 40%, vs going up 25% for a new Forester XT, vs going up 10% for a new non-turbo Forester or Outback...

Edited by Mike T

I'm planning to drive my 05 LGT (Bilsteins, Twinscroll, etc. :)) into the ground. Love it, and I can't find any other car to replace it!

Me too, at a 140k and still going. My body is getting pretty rough but I just haven't seen anything to make me want to sell. I have been stage 2 since 65k....

1d254dd5f8bb144dee3a2b99760c7f00.jpg

Me too, at a 140k and still going. My body is getting pretty rough but I just haven't seen anything to make me want to sell. I have been stage 2 since 65k....

I wondered how long it was going to take you to post on this thread!!   Hopefully yours hasn't been costing you as much as mine in repairs.  

Edited by Mike T

I have done a clutch, half axels and radiator. Otherwise tires, brakes, windshields, etc. (knock on wood) Replaced the turbo with a bnr 16g along time ago preemptively. BUT yes I am always looking for a possible replacement. I really want the new awd 6 speed vw tdi sportwagon if it ever makes it here? Also considered a wrx but waiting for a hatch. Hoping the gas mileage is better with the 2 liter direct injection turbo vs the old 2.5 we have..

I guess it helps to be older... my insurance would go up 40%, vs going up 25% for a new Forester XT, vs going up 10% for a new non-turbo Forester or Outback...

Thats part of what I love about the Forester XT ... as far as insurance is concerned, it's still a grocery getter.  So unfortunate that the SH/SJ generation are so much taller/boat-like than the SG9s.

Edited by queequeg