Note to New Members ×

Full face helmets?

That Guy...

Funny story.  Mid morning or so today, the guys and I are standing in the lift line and we're talking about helmets.  We all ride motorcycles and quite a few of us spend time on the track, so we're all firm believers in full face helmets for that.  Yet, we all ski with the open face brain buckets you see out on the slopes.  I make the comment that one of us is going to smack our face and bust our teeth out one day and everyone just kind of nodded in agreement and the conversation tapered off and went in other directions.  Fast forward three runs, and I ended up using my face to punch an aspen.  No busted teeth or nose, but I look like I took a couple of good lefts to the mouth and cheek, and my jaw joint on the opposite side is sore when I try to chew food.  

So now we're all seriously thinking about full faces or something with at least a chin/ mouth guard.  I'm picturing something kind of like a dirt bike helmet that would still allow the use of goggles because I'd imagine a visor would fog up pretty quickly.  Thoughts/ experience and suggestions?  

Ruroc are nice helmets, but nowhere do they promise that the face mask offers protection from anything other than cold wind and blowing snow.  I can grow a beard to do that.  Beards don't hold up against trees, and I don't think the Ruroc face mask would either, given how it attaches to the helmet.

I'll keep the MTB helmets in mind; thanks for that tip.  :)

A few years back I took a facial (black eye) and wondered why I didn't use a full face.

I started using a Bell Drop (BMX) with an aftermarket visor.  

Great head protection and it's nice having the wind/snow off your face.   It only get foggy in the lift line and I just tilt the visor up to clear it. 

I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind to wear my motorcycle helmet snowboarding. Besides being full-face, it's also warmer and a lot more comfortable than my snowboarding lid. But I just can't bring myself to do it -- generally speaking, I don't much care what I look like or what people think of me, but wearing the motorcycle helmet snowboarding would just look too stupid. And you're right, it would fog like crazy.

I'm definitely not thrilled with my snowboarding helmet and agree that something with more protection would be a good choice. Keep us posted on what you find.

--mark

I've thought about using my MTB helmet for snowboarding, but I just wonder what the visibility would be like. Modern MTB full faces are really light, and I've written off two MTB helmets in pretty decent crashes, so I know they do the job well.

A decent local bike shop should have a selection for you to try out.

Personally, I can recommend Bluegrass and Kali helmets ...

Edited by Allee

I have been in Ruroc's for going on 5 seasons. That helmet did what it was supposed to do. Give its life for its wearer. My Ruroc's have save me from many tree whacks to the face and their goggles are un paralleled in peripheral vision and anti fogging. My helmets have also cracked and broken due to impact. Any reasonable helmet should. I know I have thwarted concussions on more than one occasion with my Ruroc in place. I tried MTB and extended jaw protection masks and always hated how far the jaw/chin extended. I like how close the mask is to my face and the detachable mask with home made tether is great for showing the ladies who was slaying those sweet turns.

I had considered those, but my limited understanding of that type of helmet is that those chin bars are designed to simply deflect a flexible pole (the gates), and wouldn't hold up to an impact with something solid.  

This week, I'll be looking at some MTB helmets.  I like the stuff Giro and Bell offer based on what I've seen online.  Fitment will be the deciding factor.  I have several Bell motorcycle helmets and am a big fan, so that's at the top of the list.  My snow helmet is a Giro and I like how it fits, so the Giro Cipher is a close second to what Bell has.  

I don't want to say cost isn't an issue, but when it comes to safety, it isn't to me.  A $500 helmet is a hell of a lot cheaper than a ride to the ER.

Interesting thread and points made, Neil.  My question is why isn't the neck torque an issue with downhill mountain biking or BMX?  I know a lot of the MX guys are warming up to neck braces like the Leatt, so there is that.  However, MX speeds are much higher (as are the jumps) than BMX, MTB, and off piste.  

From what I've learned over the years involved with motorcycle racing, no piece of gear will ever be 100% effective all the time, and there will be situations where they may actually increase the chance of injury.  Crash dynamics are just too variable, even on a road course where you have the same 10- 15 turns and wide open gravel pits all day long... every crash is unique.  What I'm looking for is facial impact protection in the trees.  I don't go fast through them, but I go fast enough to get hurt.  I don't see myself wearing a full face when carving the groom because I've crashed enough to realize that a facial impact is incredibly unlikely.  

POC Cortex DH.  Not the Cortex Flow, but the Cortex DH.  I Have been using one for years; love it.  Very light for a full face helmet.  Well ventilated.  Not a lot of size selection, so it either works for you or not.  It's mostly marketed/stocked as MTB gear now, but when they first came out it was equally snow sports and MTB because it's light enough.

http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1219/cortex-dh-mips

I tried using my giro flint and I guess I'm a hot head...didn't matter what temp but all I'd do was fog up. Perhaps I should just put it for sale since it just collects dust. I hated the vision obscuring but warmth was nice. But the Poc I have now is the best bucket I've had

I have been in a similar situation as OP. 

Slalom race last year, and the tightest gate set i have been through on my plank, anyway nose slid out of first gate and face hit the stubby at 20+ mph=shattered goggles and nose.

Had a race the next weekend and wore my full-face helmet from my motocross days, which is quite heavy and awkward for snowboarding(large loss of peripheral vision)

My concern was that since the helmet has a "beak" and i were to fall on that it would impose a large amount of forces on my neck=bad.

For the speeds most guys here ride if one were to get a full face helmet a neck brace (such as ones worn in dh or mx) .