Note to New Members ×

Sw setup on powder board

rikytheripster

So I'm demoing a powder board and want to use it with my side winders and hopefully buy it.

Wanting some info on angles etc and general advice.

Feels as though angles will be dictated partly by waist width as don't want the toes and heels too inbound.

Lift wise I normally run front toe lift and rear heel lift. Both at around 50 deg.

I have the 3 deg discs and run no cant, ie the discs are aligned with the binding angles.

On the powder board should I do the same to give toe and heel lift or should I reduce this lift by using cant?

I don't have access to other zero degree discs either

I run about 40-45 angle up front, my normal toe lift. 

20-30 at the back, normal heel lift and 3 deg inwards cant, which I don't have on carving boards. This is just to open up the stance slightly more, otherwise I can happily ride without the cant, too. 

Riky,

I'm using SW on my powder board and I run 55* front and 48* rear. There is a fair amount of underhang,( my board is 24.5 wide) but it doesn't bother me especially in powder when you don't really feel the edge that much and it's carvable also. I'd keep your lift in the bindings as you have been using them, I think with the sidewinders canting is less crucial because of the side flex.

Powder? Yea, I remember when we used to get that. What board are you trying?

I find SW annoying heavy in powder...  if you have another lighter set of bindings, I recommend bringing them along too

I second this.  I tried Sidewinders on an O-Sin 4807 in the powder because that is all I had with me.  Totally overkill and way to heavy, even for a stiffer softbood board like a Donek Saber.  Using Burton/Ibex/Carve Company plates was better as the weight was not much different than a pair of light weight strap bindings.  However, the Track 700 boots are still much heavier than soft boots.  Plates in powder is a compromise at best.  I'd rather be in a light weight softie setup and use a shorter board and/or float more.

Edited by breeseomatic

Can't speak to SW as I haven't tried them; I use heavy & stiff nitro stepins with 3* inward cant, the weight never really bothered me though, similar angles as Jon and B for 20+yrs now.

I use snopro and burton also but way prefer toe 1st stepin engagement.

6768511055_845f241a1b_z.jpg

More "surfy" feel with standards but the convenience is a worthwhile trade off to me. Now if I could just have a stepin heel on the Scarpa ATs.

Edited by b0ardski

I use the same angles I use on piste, although back when piste angles were fashionably steeper and boards narrower, I never went above about 50 degrees on powder. These days it's 45 degrees for powder front and back. I think it is less sensitive than on piste, although I will still notice if it's "wrong".

The OP was about sidewinders, which I'm sure will work, although (respecting where I am), they are very American, beautiful, but too complicated and heavy for the likes of me.

10933954_10204907453997946_7843859965362

Edited by philw

I use TD3 Step in Sidewinders with no cant and 35 front 20 back on my powder board.  Yes they might be a little heavy, but I never have a problem with flotation.  I used this set up to teach on for the last 2 seasons as well.  I only ride with zero cant on this set up (usually 0/3 on my carvers) which really helps with low speed maneuverability, switch riding, airs and powder.  I feel that the extra weight is no sacrifice for the piece of mind I get knowing my binders won't break.  Just carry more speed and you'll stay on top.  Plus, they are really shiny.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this one up as I now have a dedicated powder board: http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/34598-169-osin-3800-used-only-one-day/page-2#entry426985

I have what I think are step-in Proflex bindings. They're a metal baseplate with F2 toe and heel pieces. The baseplate is a little different shape than any F2s I've seen, which makes me think they're Proflex.

A good choice for a 205-lb guy in powder? I'll be using UPZ RC10 boots on them. My other choice is TD3 SW, which I think is overkill.

There's something I don't like about these bindings on hard pack, but I can't put my finger on it. I suspect I could use bungee cords in powder and be good. Try them or stick with trusty TD3s?