Note to New Members ×

New To Alpine Boarding

Monk

Hey guys Ive be boarding for a while now and want to get into alpine boarding ive seen alot of boards and different styles 

just wondering what i should be looking for and what i should avoid ?

i need a full set up board bindings and boots and should i buy new or used ?

i currently have a ltd 151 snowboard im 5'6  110lbs not sure if this helps

Thanks 

Ali

Is budget a big concern for you? If not, at your weight having something made for you would make a lot of sense (you are below the bell curve for a lot of stock boards in NA). If you are on a more modest budget, but still looking new, the Donek Pilot series boards might be right up your alley.

If budget is a concern, looking for smaller freecarve type sticks might be a good way to get your feet wet and start to develop some preferences. 

For SL type sticks, you are probably looking in the same approx. length range as what you currently have. For GS type boards, you are most likely best served by the shorter 164-170 boards as they are often a little softer then the same boards in the 175-185 range.

For bindings you could likely ride anything current and be happy- the most commonly available are with the Bombers or Ibex sold here, or F2 Race.

At the main Bomber site here (not the forum) there are some great articles for new riders- check those out and ask some questions. Lots of good info- some of it a little dated, but totally relevant for used board searches and new riders.

Edited by Mr.E

Contact any of the guys you see riding At MSLM One of the best Custom board makers Bruce Varsava   (Coiler snowboards) rides and tests his boards there. I'm sure they can steer you in the direction of some used  equipment or may have gear you can try. There is also an upcoming event at Osler in the near future.

Edited by lowrider

Monk - welcome!!!  Thank you for posting height and weight - yes, very important.  Equipment selection for smaller riders is both extremely important for a good experience, and more limited.  What is your budget and how much of a hurry are you in?

Re: lowrider's suggestion to buy the Coiler in the for sale thread - not sure which one he is referring to.  I saw 4 Coilers, none of them suitable. But his suggestion to read the articles aimed at beginners is perfect.  :)

Boards:  you'll probably be happiest starting with a board in a 155-165cm length, smaller side cut radius (8 - 10 m) and easy to flex. As a small rider, I also find a narrower board width to be quite important.   These boards are rare in the used marketplace.  

I just took a look at the Donek Pilot - when they first came out they were all quite wide (20cm waist, if memory serves me) but I see now there is quite a range of specs.  For me (5'7", 120 lbs, mondo 23 boots) 18.2 cm waist seems to be ideal.  Over Christmas I tried a board that had a 21.5cm waist.  With careful binding placement, it was rideable, but a lot of work - being shorter and lighter I just can't easily generate the leverage needed.  If you don't have a ton of money to spend, but want to get started right away, the Donek Pilot 158 would probably be a good choice. 158cm length, 18cm width, average 8m radius.  Then again, you seem to be close to Coiler - Bruce Varsava - custom board maker.  You could call him up and see if he has something in the demo fleet that would be suitable.  

The custom board makers struggle a bit to come up with good boards for smaller riders.  My first Coiler was spot on, absolutely fantastic.  The second missed by a wide margin.  The third is useful in specific conditions, but not really the board I wanted.  Still, you are close by, so a custom board from Bruce might be a good option if you have money and time (he usually takes 6 months to a year.)  The last time I talked to Sean at Donek he was very interested in building good boards for smaller riders, so he is another good option.

Bindings: to start out almost any binding will probably be ok.  Some people will tell you that light riders can't use the 'stiff' bindings.  Ain't so!!! Binding choice is mostly personal preference and just what you've learned to ride.  All Bomber bindings tend to be very stiff or solid, and any step-in will be more stiff than standard bindings.  I started on Bomber TD2 standard bindings and love them.  Have used many others as well.  Any reputable binding works.  The only caveat I would offer is that for small boots, you use up much of the adjustment options just by making the the bindings fit the boots.  As you progress it becomes important to be able to place your boot very precisely on the board, nearer to or farther from the heel or toe side edge (this is called the Bias.)  I found that Bombers offer the greatest range of adjustment (I have to turn a lot of screws but I can put my boot anywhere I want it) and Ibex the least. F2s are great bindings, and probably came in second best for adjustment.  Snowpros and Nideckers were pretty frustrating for me, though I still use a pair of Nideckers on my old rock board.  Cateks show up occasionally in the for sale section - great bindings with tons of adjustment, but I would avoid them because the company is defunct and no parts or service are available.

Boots: you need to be able to flex them, and they need to fit. Starting out, it is worth spending money on boots!  There are instructions somewhere on here for how to measure your foot (try the Bomber store boot section - I think they have a good guide) or you can go try on ski boots, to find your mondo size.  If you have the money, get heat moldable liners.  I use Raichle/Deeluxe 225's with Bomber BTS kit.  The BTS is a spring system that you can add to the boot to change and adjust the flex.  I think they only fit on Deeluxe/Raichle boots, though some handy people have made them work on other boots.  I started on boots without the BTS kit, and I can't emphasize enough how much  difference it made adding the BTS!!!! Just do it, if you can possibly afford it!

So, to boil it down - if you said "Set me up for carving NOW!" I would get you a Donek Pilot 158, F2 or Bomber bindings (TD2s if they could be found - the TD3 standard has a longer bail that lands on the toe buckles of my tiny boots), Deeluxe Track 225 boots with thermoflex liners and a BTS kit.  You can improvise from there, given time and budget constraints.  Have fun shopping!

You can also check on the ride board section for your area - there is a thread called "Gear to Loan" - it's an outside chance, but there may be something available that you could try out before throwing down huge amounts of money.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I don't know the original poster- they might love that board.

In my experience, dumping someone new to hardboots on a longer, narrower deck with a much larger side cut can be a lot to swallow at once.

It's also been my direct experience that jumping on a board I loved when I was 190lbs was less fun at 150lbs. I imagine this might translate for a board for a 160ish rider under a 110lb pilot.

All conjecture on my part, of course.

If I rode on the same hill as Bruce I'd certainly try to do so at the same time- at least for a lap or two and a chairlift ride.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

Monk, this might be the Coiler for you - you might want to hop in line behind Wampum.  Doesn't give much for specs, but made for 100 lb rider, metal (which rides a bit easier than non-metal boards) and a slalom sidecut.   

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/40635-155-coiler-sl/#entry413874

The 173 that lowrider referenced might be alright if you are a 19 year old male, super strong for your size, and fearless.  If those conditions don't apply, I'd look for an easier first board.  :)

There's a mix of advice there, but it's very american focused.

Forget custom boards - you don't know what you want or why, and you can't test the things.

People here ride very long boards. My Kessler SL is a 156 - check the weight range and that'd the right size for my weight. It rocks at any resort, and I do not have to ride at Mach 2 on "carving terrain" to use it. So perhaps those big old boards aren't the best thing for everyone, everywhere.

Binding wise, well to me a lot of stuff looks way too heavy and over engineered.

I would try to borrow gear if you can, otherwise expect to change things around once you work out what works for you.

• Like 1

Of course buy used. You dont even know if you'll like hardboots. I have no idea why lowrider is pushing a 173 pure race on you, that's positively insane and horrible advice. 

Look for a standard production board in the low 150ish range, I can personally recommend a mid-2000 model of the 153 F2 Speedster SL (they are red), it has forgiving flex and soft nose. Avoid metal bindings, any plastic binding (can recommend Burton or F2 Carve RS) will do. Find the softest boots you can, something like Burton Ice or Raichle low model boots. Read this until you have it memorized. http://www.alpinecarving.com/boot_models.html 

In fact memorize the entire website. It is your new bible.

Monk, there are carvers riding at MSLM all winter. Post in the Ride Board for Ontario (under the forums here) and see if anyone has gear laying around that might be suitable. I'm sure someone has to have something you can borrow, just to see if you like it, and they'll have some advice and some riding tips for you too. Much easier than trying to set up unfamiliar gear by yourself, and flail around the hill without a clue.

I'd save spending the big $$ for when you're convinced this is your thing. A well fitted set of boots should definitely be first, and then a decent set of soft bindings. I have F2' s and love them, they're easy to take on and off and a good start for a lightweight rider. As for a board - you could get away with something noodly, because it will be forgiving while you're making mistakes. Someone had a Rossi Throttle for sale ... something like that would be perfect. If you get the hang of things it will only last you a season, but you can pick those up for $40 or $50, and they're a perfectly fine beginner board.

Edited by Allee

The Coiler PR 173 was my first board, bought used here. I would have learned faster on a shorter board. Beckmann pointed this out to me on a lesson, fortunately in the presence of my wife, introducing her to the concept of a quiver without my having to say anything. I picked up a well used 163 Renn Tiger, which I feel is an excellent learning board for someone of my weight. I would echo the advice on something in the 153 SL range for your weight. The 173 is a wicked fun and quite a soft board for me now, but it certainly unnerved me before I learned to flex it. I wouldn't recommend it for you starting out.

Good luck!

Well.... I wish I had personal exerience with this board, but I don't.  Wild guess that the flex is probably a bit on the stiff side for your weight.  And I'm not a big fan of Sno-pro bindings.  That said, it seems to be about the right size and it's a super cheap way to get started.  I started on a board that is too stiff and now I use it for chop and soft snow days when a softer board would be dangerous to ride, so this might be a good starter set up for you. It takes awhile to learn how to bend a board anyway - when you first start carving you will just be riding the sidecut, so the perfect flex becomes more important later.... 

p.s. I shipped a board to Canada a couple years ago.  Postal service seemed to be the best option, cost a bit under 50 USD.  As far as I know the buyer had no trouble receiving it.

Edited by two_ravens
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older Donek Pilot 172cm with F2 race titanium bindings. Let me know if you are interested. Sounds like you might be looking for a shorter board. I would sell bindings only if you haven't found anything yet. Let me know.

thanks im set up already