Note to New Members ×

Looking for Long-Lasting Gloves

MN Surfer

It seems that I'm ruining a pair of gloves per year. Leather seem to be better, but they always wear-out/rip/shred in the fingertips, and on the outside of the pointer-finger. I attribute most, if not all of this to releasing toe bails. I've actually started wrapping the bails in electrical tape, and that seems to have helped a bit, smoothing out the edges and all that.

Anyway, my $150 Swany's (which worked great, until...) from last season are now wood-choppers, so I need a pair. Any advice brands to look consider in the 5-finger format? I had an old leather pair of North Face (c. 2000) that lasted for nearly 10 years. Now I can barely muster a season out of a pair.

Thanks! Brian

I use the Thor gloves with either a pair of thin goretex gloves for warm days or an old glove liner with builtin wrist protection on cold ones. I added a little Sikaflex to some seams to extend their life (at 130-140 days) as a couple of boilerplate days really took their toll but had the gloves stolen so now on a new pair.

I've heard positive things about US Army cold weather gloves (the 3 fingered claws),durable yet breatable. I will be trying these gloves next.

edit found more info on the us army gloves, it's produced by outdoor reserach, made with cordura (330 though), gore-tex and known as the 'mutant mitt'

Edited by michael.a

+1 on the thor snowraiders. extremely tough swiss kevlar material throughout fingers and palms is very difficult to cut with hardware or sharp edges. No other material, leather or nylon even comes close in abrasion or cutting resistance, plus they are 1/2 to 1/4 the price of other gloves. Buy thin silk or poly glove liners with the $$ you save for the cold days.

Have you tried a finger loop of nylon webbing on the toe clip? Easier than forcing your finger under it.