Note to New Members ×

P-tex Topsheet Maintenance

Pow

With Bruce's recent P-tex topsheet offering, I'm sure there are a few of you who own boards with P-tex topsheets now. Who has experience maintaining their P-tex topsheet? Are you waxing your topsheet (I imagine you would have to wax the top much like the base to maintain its snowproof advantage) What wax are you using? Is the topsheet thinner than the base? do we have to worry about overheating/scorching more with the topsheet vs the base? Also are you using plugs to prevent wax from entering the inserts? If so where did you find them?

Anyone who can weigh in on this please let me know.

-Steve.

Rub-in wax seems like a safer alternative anyway, if the topsheet is significantly thinner than the base (no idea if it is). Plus it doesn't have the same constant contact with the snow (except near the edges in softer snow) so performance wax would be super unnecessary I guess. How often do you find you have to use the wax paste?

I only did it a few times a season, or when it started to look dull. I think p-tex topsheets are as thick as the material used for bases. I'm not qualified to comment on this, but a p-tex topsheet is not just cosmetic: there are real performance implications (for people who can tell the difference). It also makes the board heavier, and thicker on top. Longer screws might be needed to get proper engagement depending on how the board is constructed.

• 1 month later...

I used linseed (flaxseed) oil (the "boiled" variety). Just rub on with cloth and let dry and wipe off any excess. Looks good and seems to last. Previously I just used lemon Pledge (furniture polish/wax), smelled good, didn't last long.

When I demoed a black-top Nirvana at SES, I was riding a black-top Kessler, and Bruce was wondering what Kessler did to the ptex to keep it from oxidizing and getting that white fuzzy appearance. Maybe not a big deal, but it looks a lot nicer oiled than oxidized.  Though I kinda miss that lemon fresh smell...

Thumbs up on the linseed oil. You can use the hardware store variety or the more refined versions (bleached) for artists to avoid yellowing. 

Surprise surprise linseed oil is used by top secret pro detailers to restore faded car trim, bumpers and such, it annhilates anything else on the market. I also use it on wood finishes. Couple of things to follow but it's easy to use and cheap!

IME, Ostrich semen works best. The snow repellent properties dissipate drastically after 48 hours. Keep your large flightless bird warm, dry and well fed and you will be rewarded with many years of snow free topsheets and huge omelettes.

You are a sick sick man

I respect that

Keep up the good work

Mario

IME, Ostrich semen works best. The snow repellent properties dissipate drastically after 48 hours. Keep your large flightless bird warm, dry and well fed and you will be rewarded with many years of snow free topsheets and huge omelettes.

I'm confused; semen AND eggs from the same bird? I'm happy to get a pair, I just don't want to overspend if I don't have to. Thanks, this is vital information!

Video with instructions please. 

Is there a NSFW section? cause the vid would definitely go there. Prepare to break the internet. 

I'm confused; semen AND eggs from the same bird? I'm happy to get a pair, I just don't want to overspend if I don't have to. Thanks, this is vital information!

seek the rare hermaphrodite ostrich. a little more cost up front but in the long term it will pay off