Note to New Members ×

Carving Captain's Basin @ Cradrona

SunSurfer

From a recent trip to the Central Otago ski fields. The Captain's Basin at Cardrona Alpine resort is a fun place to carve. Mike Watson was a complete stranger until he asked me whether I minded that he'd videoed one of my runs with his GoPro Hero3+ (original 1920x1080 @ 60fps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLOxzHolNg

Video re-edited & stabilised and processed in GoPro Studio & VirtualDub + Deshaker plug in, Cineform codec. Newer version uploaded to YouTube.

Post edited initially due to the new forum not embedding video the way the old one did.

To embed now just copy and paste the URL into the post. IP Board does automatically detect the site.

DO NOT format it as a link. If you do that you just get a link.

Edited by SunSurfer
It is "Cardrona". Typos!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Alan Alan Alan what plate are you riding in Mikes video ?

Pat,

Bomber Boiler plate, 4mm, 4x4 mount, fixed axle at the front, with boot/binding positioned so that the ball of my front foot is just behind the axle. The board is a Coiler AM wide, WC construction, 177cm, 7.6 stiffness.

The other board I had on this trip was my Riot Supercarve, 180cm, which is too narrow to take a Boiler without overhang. It has a SunSurfer plate all of it's own, similar setup.

• 3 weeks later...
Sunsurfer,

Please tell me a little bit about the plate setup on the Riot. I love the supercarve, but i need to figure out a way to widen my stance with the narrow 4x4 pattern on the board. Thanks

It's a home built plate and mechanism that I've described in other threads. E mail me at ajmckenzienz at Gmail dot com and I'll send you a PDF file with all the details. The messaging service on Bomber is not working at present otherwise I'd have contacted you via that route.

Another option is to take your courage in both hands (and a drill press) and put extra inserts in. It's something I've now done a number of times.

Edited by SunSurfer

• 1 month later...
Sunsurfer,

I can't believe how much room you have to carve in that video. I can't even begin to imagine having that type and quantity of realestate for riding. I wouldn't know what to do with all of it. Looks like you are having fun.

Captain's at Cardrona is a great place to ride, especially midweek outside of school holiday periods. It's the best of the places I know in NZ. That same trip on another run at Cardrona, Whitestar, I got taken out by a straight lining skier who didn't stop. Whitestar would be a great run to carve if it weren't for the traffic, both skiers & boarders.

• 1 month later...

The stabilisation is working well.

Maybe worth cropping or cloning the thing in left of the frame out?

I was thinking that letting the rider get behind the camera now and then could be good. Also, you can't get too close, it seems. Someone told me that more cuts are better: tricky when part of the point is that it's a long run.

Riding-wise, that looks smooth: no forced diving down to the snow, just riding the terrain.

Thanks Phil. The raw video came from a boarder who was intrigued by the alpine setup and followed me down the hill. He was happy to shoot another run. He was hand holding his GoPro camera, hence the glove in the left hand corner. I agree about video being better for the subject being closer which is harder to achieve with a very wide angle lens.

I used a fixed zoom (1.05) in Deshaker pass 2 with some extrapolated colours edge compensation to remove the jiggly borders that Deshaker otherwise produces.