Note to New Members ×

How short will you go ?

lowrider

Why are boards getting so short ! Decambered ,rockered 3 degree beveled edges. Grab a jibbers Skate Bananna and have at it but don't call yourself a carver. A 161cm board curled up like a dried leaf isn't my idea of a carving stick. Can we institute a new standard of minimal length before we reach the ski equivelant of blades ! Lets go with a minimum contact length laying base flat and side wall contact length @ 90 degrees to flat. It takes some effort and skill to ride a board that actually contacts the snow. Lets reflect that by describing the tools for that task and not continue this downward spiral fast approaching park rat status.

LR, are you bored to death? :)

We need to get you onto snow carving, long board, short board, whatever...

The trouble is I only get to ride on ice. I'm now in a bad way after returning from Powder King and got to see first hand what I could have been riding on all these years. I also ride too tall so I need the long board to keep me from tipping over. :smashfrea My kids are all smarter than me. They got the hell out of Ontario. There is nothing quite like riding at a very unpopulated mountain resort with feet of snow instead of inches of ice underfoot. Yeah i'm craving a fix of fall line runs with Beatle tunes replaying in my head . We set a record of four Alpine riders the most seen this far north at least in the Mackenzie area. December feels like a lifetime away. I hope Sunsurfer and Leeho get reporting on their upcoming season soon.

howdy lowrider

a shorter board takes more skill to carve and tigher turns is way more fun.

gs style turns are boring... jja 156bx rocks!!!

Yup. I second that. Especially shorter 'Energetic' board.

I always take a shorter board for first 2 hours and then swap to longer deck after...and then for my 'Last run' of the day, ride shorter one to remind the technique again.

I also ride too tall so I need the long board to keep me from tipping over.

Strong post content-to-username ratio on this one.

To answer the question, I've tried a 157 KST and I liked it. Maybe enough to get one for myself and make it a full time board. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes riding short boards.

:lol:What my friend Lowrider needs is to get Bruce or Sean to build him a 200cm board with a sidecut radius so tight he can see his own backside in the distance when he turns!:lol:

That would fun. I must confess I didn't spend all four days riding my board, some time was spent on rockered decambered powder skis . What would be most useful would be 30 cm off my longest board, 30 years off my present age, and 30 more days of riding.

Hi Lowrider

That would fun. I must confess I didn't spend all four days riding my board, some time was spent on rockered decambered powder skis . What would be most useful would be 30 cm off my longest board, 30 years off my present age, and 30 more days of riding.

I have been following and have enjoyed reading your recent posts about Powder King, I know this place very well.

Was your post on shorter boards and your year end trip to PK related? They seemed to be. If I read between the lines correctly it seemed like you wished you had a different stick for Northern BC, was this the case? Just curious, that's all.

I hope there was enough new snow for you to head over to the old Azu lift line? Before PK was PK, it was called Azu and the tag line was "Powder up to your Azu."

FYI - 30 more days riding and 30 years younger would REALLY help me as well:)

Cheers

Rob

Rob, I was riding 173 AM Coiler, Son was on 185 Kessler, Daughter on 157 Crazy Creek all on plates. The 157 seemed to be the board best suited to late season groom with 12 cm new snow. The 185 wicked fast but didn't seem to the best match for the conditions. My Coiler is pretty good for the Ont. conditions I usually ride but I'm thinking a trip to Bruce's shop next month i'll be getting him to build something different (shorter) for next years return to PK. I just couldn't allow myself to ride the rental shop Burtons out of fear I would like them !:AR15firinOld Azu lift towers are still standing but horizontal parts rotted. I guess they left them standing as technically they represent an existing lift if they ever choose to replace it. My advice would be a Tbar to the top above tree line. New condo's in the works if you have $300k laying around !

Hey

Rob, I was riding 173 AM Coiler, Son was on 185 Kessler, Daughter on 157 Crazy Creek all on plates. The 157 seemed to be the board best suited to late season groom with 12 cm new snow. The 185 wicked fast but didn't seem to the best match for the conditions. My Coiler is pretty good for the Ont. conditions I usually ride but I'm thinking a trip to Bruce's shop next month i'll be getting him to build something different (shorter) for next years return to PK.

Does wanting to go shorter for PK mean that you wanted tighter turning for your next build?

Couple more curious questions. What are the sidecut radius' on your 173 AM and the 157 Crazy Creek? You would think that your AM would be perfect for 12cm of new snow. Were you wanting a quicker board for the trees or the ability to make tighter turns on the groomed runs?

I have a few boards specifically for PK. I find it interesting to hear what a new set of 'Hard Boot' eyes sees with regards to an opinion towards the next board for PK.

Rob

Hey

Does wanting to go shorter for PK mean that you wanted tighter turning for your next build?

Couple more curious questions. What are the sidecut radius' on your 173 AM and the 157 Crazy Creek? You would think that your AM would be perfect for 12cm of new snow. Were you wanting a quicker board for the trees or the ability to make tighter turns on the groomed runs?

I have a few boards specifically for PK. I find it interesting to hear what a new set of 'Hard Boot' eyes sees with regards to an opinion towards the next board for PK.

Rob

I will probably be pillared for suggesting this but I have always believed shorter is easier than longer at least when I begin to get tired. After 18 hrs travel and 4 hours sitting on the side of the highway waiting for an accident to be cleared I don't think I was in great condition to ride. After eating breakfast and supper at the Windy Point Inn just before the Junction I was about 40 pounds heavier ( at least that's the excuse i'll use ). Also repairing myself from hamstring pull on rear leg (I blame the Skwal for that one 7 weeks ago). Watching my daughter on the 157 looking very relaxed compared to her brother on the 185 I'm thinking I could go down to around 165 to 168 on a new AM and struggle a little less ( but then i'll be a year older too). Specs on AM- VSR (decambered nose) are 26.3-24.5-21.5 Bruce built it specifically for plate (icy Ontario conditions) Crazy Creek is 24-19-23.7. I need to practice what I preach and try a bunch more boards. The new snow made it much nicer than the previous day much better hold on turns. Once it got a bit chopped up the plate helped smooth thing out and even riding the previous weeks rough once the sun loosened it up a bit was doable unlike the first day when it would put you over the handlebars.

Well me being rider number four at pk last week.

Pk is the perfect long board hill when comes to the powder.

For carving well the runs are wide but sometimes the groomer path is s touch narrow.

Depends on the day.

Lots of the time the groomed is too soft to carve.

I'm not sure what works good in that case.

Rcrobar-Where do you live ?

Hey Again

I will probably be pillared for suggesting this but I have always believed shorter is easier than longer at least when I begin to get tired.

I have to tell you that I am very impressed that you made it to PK from Ontario, this is a long way to a remote ride. At the same time I am glad to hear that you had such a good time as being remote place has some big advantages as you found out first hand.

My feeling is that no one should be pillared for anything on this site, boarding is too much fun, life is short and I am getting too old for it.

Your comments about your daughter riding the shorter board and you son working hard to rip his 185 make a lot of sense to me. It's hard work, quad burning work, to rip big GS turns on a 185 top to bottom of PK. Surfing a fun board, perhaps skid/carving - Slarving in the soft snow, usually at a bit slower speed, for me is easier on the legs .... both are EQUALLY as fun!

OK, now it's my turn to hope to not get pillared for a few thoughts:)

Lately I haven't been as concerned about the length of a board, the SCR and the flex seem to be more of a key issue. I have 3 boards that are all 175cm long, the difference in the way they ride is amazing to me. I am a 6 foot plus guy, weighing in at 200 plus pounds, so the 175 seems like a good size for me. These three boards I use plates with:

1) 175 Alpine with a 13m SCR (My guess is that this would feel 'similar' to your son's 185)

2) 175 Alpine/AM with a 10/12/11 SCR (My guess is that this is VERY similar to your AM)

3) 175 FreeRide with a 10m SCR (My guess is that this would be like your Daughter's board)

When traveling to PK by bus, and wanting to travel light and be relatively prepared for most conditions, I take two boards and one pair of hard boots. I think a more carve oriented Coiler AM and quality freeride/powder board would be a good combo on your next trip to PK and a pretty good way to vary how hard or easy you have to work your legs to get down the hill; after a killer long road trip getting there!!! So, my boards are the same length ... but slarving the freeride board is much easier on the legs.

OK, full disclosure. This past year I asked Bruce to build me a Coiler for the conditions in Northern BC, which can be VERY mixed due to the changing weather patterns. I ended up with a 175 Nirvana with a 10/12/11 SCR with the Balance Flex Pattern. I really enjoyed this fun SCR as it turns like a shorter board and the Balance flex pattern proved to be great in mixed conditions. When it really snows, I pull out the swallowtail and softboots.

Hey, hope this helps a bit:)

Rob

Hey, can't believe there is another carver up this way!

Well me being rider number four at pk last week.

Guess I am going to have to try be rider #5 some day:)

Pk is the perfect long board hill when comes to the powder.

I agree 100%

For carving well the runs are wide but sometimes the groomer path is s touch narrow.

Depends on the day.

Yes! This is why I asked Bruce so many questions about SCR and ended up with a 10/12/11.

Tabor, Troll, Purden are similar with regards to grooming and being narrow.

Smithers in the exception, it is like a wide open groomed high way.

Rcrobar-Where do you live ?

I am a long time Prince George guy. I make it up to Dawson once in a while as I coach my son's hockey team.

Rob

I have seen a few hard boot guys at PK over the years. talked to most of them I think. There are actually two in Dawson Creek, other guy isn't online.

So we might be able to fill two chairs someday. But depends if the Pk rental/pro shop manager returns.

I'm on a 182 donek access 11.4-13.4m, considering a longer radius EC metal board for next year.

Do you own a Rossi undertaker?

Did you ever meet the late Greg Pichler?

Hi There

I have seen a few hard boot guys at PK over the years. talked to most of them I think. There are actually two in Dawson Creek, other guy isn't online.

So we might be able to fill two chairs someday. But depends if the Pk rental/pro shop manager returns.

I'm on a 182 donek access 11.4-13.4m, considering a longer radius EC metal board for next year.

Do you own a Rossi undertaker?

Did you ever meet the late Greg Pichler?

Yes, I am the guy with the Rossi Undertaker. That Donek sounds like a lot of fun as does the EC metal board!

Maybe we have met sometime before as I haven't meet another guy with a ST over the years?

Greg's name is not ringing a bell ... but I can't seem to remember names these days, so maybe?

Filling a couple chairs with hard boots would be pretty cool, but for now I am praying for warmer weather:)

Cool

Rob

yapretty sure we have met, years ago before I snowboarded at all. My friend Andrew and I talked to you.

The internet has made the Alpine World a pretty cool small community. I really look forward to meeting you (again), and perhaps Lowrider, ... at good old PK!

Have a good summer

Rob

I would love one of these :eek: The "Zoom Board" a 130 x 30 with 2" of taper and deep sidecut, no rocker, stiff tips and med flex under feet :eplus2:

[ATTACH]39052[/ATTACH]

http://www.scribd.com/doc/131565884/ZOOM-Snowbooards

http://mylesman204.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/