Note to New Members ×

heard it in the lift line 2013-14

theboarderdude

Yesterday, getting off the top of the lift, and pushing to the drop off.

I hear two 4th or 5th graders(probably their first or second year on boards) debating whether or not they were going hit this tiny kicker the parkies always make on the side of the run. As I slide by, I hear "Oh, lets watch this dude hit it, He's a professional, look at his equipment!" I was riding a Rev 170 with TD3 SW SI. I proceeded to ride around the kicker and rip the sh!t out of the run.

Brace yourselves, the Jibbers are becoming educated!

Today, going to the lift line, a boarder riding out of the park says "Bro, that's an Alpine board, You have an awesome setup!" That was honestly one of the best moments this season, coming from one of the better park riders at hv.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the top of Shooting Star yesterday, two girls, one on skis, one on a snowboard: "Where are you going to ride? We want to watch you."

Me: "Er, um, down the ridge."

Girls: "No pressure!"

:D

They seemed to think it looked cool, but I couldn't get the snowboarder (she was a competent soft booter) to say "how can I learn to ride like that?"

Edited by Dan

Stopped at the side of the trail to wait for my wife who rides softies. 60+ year old ski ambassador guy, fully equipped with walkie talkie, stops next to me and just stares at my feet. I said hello and he said he has to try carving. Melted my heart as I'm sure that this was the type of guy that used to spit at us off the chairlift in the early 80s. Spoke like old friends and parted ways.

A freerider at Mammoth Mountain over the weekend asked me where he could rent an alpine setup. I regretfully told him that he's out of luck for a traditional shop, but gave him my phone number and told him I have some gear that I can loan out and also where to rent AT boots.

Hopefully I can help another curious individual try something a little different.

This is too awesome not to share.

I was out on my Kessler 1.85 this morning when a guy said, "Hey, is that the same Kessler that they race in the Olympics?"

It caught me off guard because I'm used to fielding the usual questions we always post about every year. I said that yes, it was and that I was surprised he noticed. He said he'd never seen one in person, but sees them on the internet from time to time and thought how badass it was that we can lay out our turns the way we do. By this point, we'd gotten on the same chair and were on our way up to the top. After some discussion about the technology that goes into the boards and what they can and can't do, he asked me the question I'd been waiting all year for someone to ask: "What's it like?"

"How would you like to find out?" I replied. :)

The parking lot I was at was at the top of the lift, and I had my Kessler 1.68 in the trunk. We first swapped out his bindings onto the board so he could see how the board felt while still being in familiar soft boots. He had smaller feet, so with a 33/30 setup, his toe and heel overhang was minimal. Two runs into it, he was nailing his body position and doing way better than I thought soft boots would ever do on that board. At the end of the second run, his eyes were like dinner plates and he was absolutely blown away at how fast, stable and easy the board was to ride. Almost literally, he couldn't stop talking about how amazing it was and how blown his mind was. lol...

On the way back up the lift after the 3rd run, I suggested that we go down to the rental shop and get him set up with some rear entry ski boots, my treat. I only suggested this because I had tried them out one day out of curiosity to see how they stacked up to my HSPs. Truth be told, they really weren't that bad. Not ideal, but barely perceptibly stiffer than my HSPs. At the top, I made a quick run to my car to get my F2s and then we headed down to the rental shop.

Once we sized his foot for the boots, we swapped out his bindings for my F2s, made a few adjustments and were on our way. After about four orientation runs that involved lots of crashing and skidding, he finally locked it in on his heelside. I was about 50 yards down slope and could hear him hooting and hollering. He continued past me and I followed suit. At the bottom, he was speechless and kept looking down at the board while grinning and shaking his head. His first words, "THAT is what I always thought snowboarding should be like."

He spent the rest of the day in hard boots on my board and when we parted company at the end of the day, I gave him my number and this website and told him not to be a stranger. :)

That's awesome that you did that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I was just in the middle of posting up that I did it again today, but it was mid afternoon so no time for hard boots. :)

I've been getting more and more "hey, like in the Olympics!" comments lately. I see this as a good thing.

I got that a few times at Park City yesterday. :-)

I am definitely a subject of "heard it in the lift line". Working as a lift operator this season I have seen three alpine free carvers and thought "wow, that's so awesome". I asked a lot of silly questions, and got a lot of patient, informative responses. I was off-handedly offered to try out one of their boards, but I didn't take it too seriously as I was afraid I would do something ridiculous and somehow damage the board. I am still on (very stiff) soft boots, trying to figure out how to carve on my set up first.

I was off-handedly offered to try out one of their boards, but I didn't take it too seriously as I was afraid I would do something ridiculous and somehow damage the board. I am still on (very stiff) soft boots, trying to figure out how to carve on my set up first.

As long as you don't hit a tree with it or try to ride it in the parking lot, I think the board will be fine. Depending on what your board is and what theirs are, throwing your bindings on their board might make a difference. The guy I had on my board today said it was way easier to ride than his freestyle board. I've had a few other people on it in the past, mainly friends that were curious, and they all said it was easier to ride than their boards. Hey, if they're willing to turn the screws for you and put your bindings on their board, why not? It's not ideal, but it might be worth it.

I am definitely a subject of "heard it in the lift line". Working as a lift operator this season I have seen three alpine free carvers and thought "wow, that's so awesome". I asked a lot of silly questions, and got a lot of patient, informative responses. I was off-handedly offered to try out one of their boards, but I didn't take it too seriously as I was afraid I would do something ridiculous and somehow damage the board. I am still on (very stiff) soft boots, trying to figure out how to carve on my set up first.

Which hill? I bet we can arrange something local...

9 bus loads of middle schoolers gets you a lot of questions, one near miss(closer than 6") at 40mph, and a whole lot of "cool helmet(Ruroc)/board!" however, a dad talking to his daughter takes the cake.

The chairs at my hill are pretty close together, about 20ft. A father, daughter and son in a chair behind me, all on skis. I hear the daughter ask "What's that he's riding?" It was a rev 170 w/ TD3 sw si. The dad replies "It's sorta like training wheels, once he gets better he'll transfer to a real snowboard." I was way too confused/intrigued at the ignorance/flabbergasted to say anything.

"It's sorta like training wheels, once he gets better he'll transfer to a real snowboard."

This floored me when I first read it. As I thought about it a bit later though, made me wonder if the dad mistook you for a skier giving snowboarding a try, wearing your "ski boots" and riding a board designed to be like a ski (skinny and cambered) to help you learn on something more familiar to a skier before moving on to a more "traditional" snowboard set up (most of which I see these days being rockered). Hope you at least had a chance to show him your moves.;)

Heard on the slope: Ahead of me on White Pine's only real groomed run is a local legend named Lee (a 78 year old lady who skies alpine every day the lifts are open, and nordic the rest of the week) with two slightly younger companions. Her buddies are making small turns on the left side of the run and I easily get past them, but Lee is making wide turns, tree to tree on this somewhat narrow run - taking a carver's path! I look for a way to get by her, but it becomes clear that I will get too close, so I pull over to wait. Her buddies catch up to me and stop as well. One says "I saw you coming and said 'That is the only snowboarder on this mountain I trust!' You never scare us - you're always in control!" :)

9 bus loads of middle schoolers gets you a lot of questions, one near miss(closer than 6") at 40mph, and a whole lot of "cool helmet(Ruroc)/board!" however, a dad talking to his daughter takes the cake.

The chairs at my hill are pretty close together, about 20ft. A father, daughter and son in a chair behind me, all on skis. I hear the daughter ask "What's that he's riding?" It was a rev 170 w/ TD3 sw si. The dad replies "It's sorta like training wheels, once he gets better he'll transfer to a real snowboard." I was way too confused/intrigued at the ignorance/flabbergasted to say anything.

You should have offered to let him try out your "training wheels" ?.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was up at Silver Mountain (Idaho) last week. The conversation went: lifty - that's a neat looking board. me - it's an alpine board. lifty - cool! Then some other snow boarders asked (before plugging in their tunes) - is that pretty fun to be on your edge all the time? My answer - OH, yeah! Do you like roller coasters? Cheers all:D

Last Saturday, closing day for hidden valley in stl, with everybody in that awesome last day mood

I was sitting with a couple of ski teamers next to a table of jibbers, all between 9 and 15 yrs old. We had been exchanging conversation for a while and we got up at the same time to go ride some more. I pick up my board and set it down to step in, and one of the jibbers says Hey, an alpine board, can you explain how your bindings work again?" I explain, and he says "an alpine board... I respect you". I was absolutely floored. I've never had anybody say something like that before, and to come from someone like that, was unbelievable. We kinda rode together for the rest of the day, since all the main trails lead to the same one lift.

Riding an F2 Silberpfeil 162, I got a compliment from a skier last weekend 3/8. I was laying stomach down facing uphill in the middle of the trail to watch another carver on one of my boards I loaned out. He skids to a stop and has that look like he was going to ask a question or say something. So I speak up first, "I'm not hurt, I'm just laying here watching some snowboarding technique". His reply was "I just want to say that I've been watching you from the chair and trying to catch up to you. You're probably one of the best snowboarders I've ever seen. I really enjoy watching you turn, it looks so graceful and powerful at the same time."

Damn, I was not expecting that. And I won't lie, it felt good to get a compliment.