Note to New Members ×

Edge type - Magne-traction vs traditional

Hilux

Ahhhhh....

I've got exactly 0 days in hard boots on a snowboard, however, I apparently can safely be rated as "expert" at riding in general. More big mountain, technical style.

For perspective, I'll occasionally do some time in the park. But not much. Pretty much never rails. But steep and deep is awesome, however I end up on steep and icy a lot! I'm pretty high-speed with multiple gps and even a radar clock over 60mph. I'm certainly a nobody in the snowboard world (sniffle) but this stuff is just a baseline of who I am and how I ride for comparison. I used to race very minor slalom courses when I was way younger on my sweet burton air.

Soooo...I do know the difference between holding and edge on a turn and sweeping snow :)

ok, with my brief and hopefully appropriate bio out of the way....

I was NOT a believer in Magne for 2 reasons:

I thought it would adversely affect a good carve, and I thought it was wonky and just hype.

Then I rode one.

Again, baseline comparison: I was riding a 162 Custom and tried my friends new 161.5 Travis Rice. Both cambered.

on icy snow the difference was actually incredible. Like, the grip was sufficiently different in a skidding turn, or when planting on a run in on a steep chute with crummy snow/ice that I almost went tumbling forward. I expected the edge to just give a time but more like I was used to, so when it didn't of threw me off.

I bought a Magne board shortly after. And for my all-purpose board I won't likely buy a board without it again.

My powder board does not have, nor need, Magne. In good snow it is useless.

I was worried I would notice it on carves. Not in the lease true, which surprised me.

If all you ride is good conditions, it won't buy much. But for icy chutes I LOVE that stuff. When I'm on ice now on a non-Magne board I have to reconsider my check-off or safety points a little more. Certainly not the end of the world, but it really does help just that little bit.

Anyway, that's been my experience. I'm not paid by Lib or anyone...haha...but I do thinks that board design is great. I'm on my 3rd MangneTraction board now.

Cheers!

Would not be surprised if Vonn's skis were not actually serrated, but had alternating sections of typical and extremely acute side edge bevel.

you mean like a sine-wave from tip to tail? 88°->89°->90° and back again? hmm.

i've wondered about having 88° at tip/tail, tapering to 89° at 2/5ths and 4/5ths running length, and 90° in the middle. or the opposite.

you mean like a sine-wave from tip to tail? 88�->89�->90� and back again? hmm.

An edge with evenly wavering acuity would balance the need for 'sharp' with enough durability to finish a run.

One could probably go well past 88 with the right 'waveform'.

The average user could request a severely acute side angle from their tuner, and it would slice like mad. But, typical usage would round off the edge after a few runs, and let the whining commence.

One shouldn't use their chef's knife like a cabinet scraper and expect it to cut like a microtome after.

i've wondered about having 88� at tip/tail, tapering to 89� at 2/5ths and 4/5ths running length, and 90� in the middle. or the opposite.

I'm standing with B on this one, as I think you'd find your first scheme would invert the tendency to 'grab' and 'float'. That said, giver 'er a go. What is intuitive is not always correct, and you might discover a new world of nifty.

I have a couple of Lib boards, at least one with Magnetraction. I'm personally not a fan of it.

1. I thought the edge hold sucked compared with what I put on my other boards. It doesn't feel as good, and yeah it's slower.

2. It's damn near impossible to tune correctly due to all of the waves. Lib sells a super short tuning stone, which still has a straight edge, so there's parts of the edge that are un-tunable (the interior curves).

I won't be buying another one. I will look at other boards.

• 2 weeks later...