Note to New Members ×

Headphone thread

powdahbonz

Is anyone using the Monster iSport headphones? The $120+ for the Poc Communication Neckroll seems excessive to add to my new helmet. I have not been happy with Skullcandy buds or some of the other offerings. I really prefer the above the ear rather than in the ear for snowsports. Anyone have a favorite?

I have some $10 headphones that I cut open and put just the speaker units in the pockets of my helmet. Keep the front/back grills on the speaker diaphragm or it'll sound terrible. I need to wire in a quick-disconnect headphone jack near the helmet as it sucks to unthread the long cord from my jacket every time I remove my helmet.

This only works if you like your music on the quiet side, where you can't hear the difference in quality from nicer headphones. I can barely hear the music over wind/snow noise when riding.

I have the Skullcandy that allows my MP3 to be wired and my phone to BT. Worked great for one season. I had easily 8 hours standby so I could be on the slope and get calls from the ski patrol as needed (Insert comment here). I was able to voice dial, although it rarely called the right person; that is probably more an issue with my phone as I never use it otherwise. I was able to answer the phone easily and the conversations were clear both ways; rarely could they tell I was riding. I don't have any complaints about the music quality - It's MP3 so not exactly hi-fi anyway. It worked as advertised for an entire season, but the pass-through to allow the music stopped working. The BT still works fine. I should probably take it to an electronics repair shop to see where the connection went out.

Is anyone using the Monster iSport headphones? The $120+ for the Poc Communication Neckroll seems excessive to add to my new helmet. I have not been happy with Skullcandy buds or some of the other offerings. I really prefer the above the ear rather than in the ear for snowsports. Anyone have a favorite?

Don't buy that POC Communications neck roll, it is skull candy garbage rebranded as poc. I did some looking around awhile ago to see if I could find some decent snow-specific headphones and was pretty disappointed with everything I found. If you are handy and don't mind a little work: get some quality headphones that are easily disassembled, take them apart, and slide them into the ear-warmer bits of your helmet and then fit them with a female 1/8" audio socket in the ear warmers. I did this with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ES700's - they sound great and are thin enough to fit in the ear warmers. They've held up for many seasons. Definitely worth the trouble. I use a little iPod nano attached to my jacket since the buttons are easy to hit with my gloves.

I don't use "dedicated" sport headphones for this or other sports. I've been given various sets to try and they've all been pretty, but have also sounded terrible.

I guess I should back up and say that I'm not listening to lossy formats: my main interest is sound quality. For that you do end up with in-ear, although I've not had a problem using that for boarding. For $120 you can get some pretty good headphones which will outlast your helmet. Different brands sound different, but I don't personally have a particular favourite from the decent Sure or Etymotics I've used over the years.

(If people want to start a thread to whine on about why my deaf snowboarding mates are dangerous, then I won't bother telling them that it's actually perfectly safe to listen to music whilst driving, walking or even snowboarding, you just need to use your eyes to check you're not crashing into things. In fact in my opinion ear defenders should be mandatory for all drivers, pedestrians, snowboarders, and cyclists because they need to learn that I am faster than them but they generally won't hear me, irrespective of what they're piloting.)

If anybody is looking for a good sounding set to fit in your earflaps I can heartily recommend a pair of the Koss KSC75 clip ons. Just pop off the ear clip and slip them in. They may not sound as good as queequeg's Technicas, but at $10 they are 15 times cheaper. These and the Koss Portapro(same drivers) are well known in audiophile circles as the best sounding cheap headphones available. I got a Red HiFi hemelt that came with their Redphones. Compared them to the KSC75 it was night and day.