Note to New Members ×

Northwave Point 950 yellow the holy grail of snowboardboots !?

Cyrus the virus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like someone in Quebec has loads of Notrhwaves :) (or access to a lot of them but I'm not sure which model)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681188998599491&set=a.681190045266053.1073741829.657947804256944&type=1&theater

Yeah it's Pat the QC team coach (www.excellencesnowboard.com). He has collected a lot of pairs (I think 5 or more .950s and 2-3+ .900s) in multiple sizes. His goal is to have enough to create molds for each size and get producing them, he has the support and some financing lined up... Follow the facebook page and like/comment on the photo so he has a better idea of where demand is coming from, particularly for which sizes!

I wonder if the obsession with the Northwave .950 (and .900, I suppose) is a European thing? I don't think anyone on the Canadian team rides Northwaves, but maybe Seb can shed some light on that. Jasey took the gold on modified Indys, while Morison and Lambert both ride Kryptons. Lambert ran Full Tilts for a while, which I believe is what Michael Trapp (American) rides. I think Jasey is on something new now... Can anybody identify?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37048[/ATTACH]

There's bunch of things I like about the Northwaves. Here's some

- The flex is very progressive they don't collapse on you.

- The rubber sole absorbs a lot of the vibrations which of course plastic don't (any boots with intec heels)

- You can choose from 4 types of different springs stiffness (blue,red,yellow and Silver) and get the flex you wan't MICRO adjustments!

- You can MICRO adjust Forward lean very easily,There's nothing more precise then that on the market

-This one is though to explain for me in english but when you clip the upper portion of the boots the Tongue put pressure on the lower cuff that they kind of extend with some thin plastic inside the boots and it really gives you a good support and make sure your heels don't lift up

-They are simple

-They don't break

-They are yellow

As Ryan said we are currently evaluating the option of making them again. Will see

creating new molds from the original shells would be awesome!:biggthump

Doing so without modifying the heel pad mount to accept intec pads/stepins would be a travesty:(

That's what we are gonna do! We have 7 pairs right now the only size that we don't have is a Size A

Doing so without modifying the heel pad mount to accept intec pads/stepins would be a travesty:(
That's what we are gonna do! We have 7 pairs right now the only size that we don't have is a Size A

I'm just wondering if it's worth making any changes to the design at all?

The shell is a 3 piece design very similar to Deeluxe so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Right, and when I look at the Deeluxe boots, I can't help but think of the many conversations that have gone on here about making a "better" NorthWave 900/950. I'm sure Deeluxe are incorporating some of the good ideas from other boots, as well as improvements on what could be considered flaws. One has to wonder if it all fits together as perfectly as it did with the NW?

I asked Jasey Jay at the ECES last winter and he said "They just got it right. They just work great."

Simple, not overly eloquent, but probably the greatest argument to be made for keeping the proposed molds and spring system as true to the original boot as possible.

I can't imagine how a slight alteration the heelpad mounting is going to change the flex characteristics of the boot/cuff/tongue/spring system in any noticeable way.

Oh, I don't disagree, and that definitely isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm just kind of wondering aloud if attempting to make modifications to a an old boot that has the world's best riders chasing down every remaining pair is a wise decision.

I mean, there's a reason this community has been estimating the cost of recreating the molds of the NWs. Now someone's actually collecting the boots in all sizes, seeking financing and going to give it a shot. If I was one of the major investors, I'd want them recreated exactly as they were. Modifications can follow once the initial investment has been recovered.

I mean, imagine if a few minor changes are made right out of the gate, racers try them, and next thing you know, they're back to chasing down the old NorthWave shells because the new boots don't feel like the NorthWaves? That would be a disaster.

Oh, I don't disagree, and that definitely isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm just kind of wondering aloud if attempting to make modifications to a an old boot that has the world's best riders chasing down every remaining pair is a wise decision.

I mean, there's a reason this community has been estimating the cost of recreating the molds of the NWs. Now someone's actually collecting the boots in all sizes, seeking financing and going to give it a shot. If I was one of the major investors, I'd want them recreated exactly as they were. Modifications can follow once the initial investment has been recovered.

I mean, imagine if a few minor changes are made right out of the gate, racers try them, and next thing you know, they're back to chasing down the old NorthWave shells because the new boots don't feel like the NorthWaves? That would be a disaster.

+ we don't ride with Step-in bindings so there's no point.

I'm just kind of wondering aloud if attempting to make modifications to a an old boot that has the world's best riders chasing down every remaining pair is a wise decision.

Ding, ding, DING... we have a winner!

There's is no way that some people won't say the "new" boots aren't as good as the "old" boots.

Unless they do a double-blind study the old boots will always win in the world of anecdote and opinion.

Even then, they'll still win.

I wish them the best... we need every little incremental step we can get in Hardboot snowboarding.

Hi Seb

+ we don't ride with Step-in bindings so there's no point.

- The rubber sole absorbs a lot of the vibrations which of course plastic don't (any boots with intec heels)

Why don't racers use step ins?

Do step in bindings transmit more vibrations then standard toe bail bindings?

Thanks for any insights here.

Cheers

Rob

I can't imagine how a slight alteration the heelpad mounting is going to change the flex characteristics of the boot/cuff/tongue/spring system in any noticeable way.

Imagine with greater focus. Accommodation of the Intec standard will most likely affect the bootboard ramp angle. This affects the need for boot flex, and perhaps the relationship between the ankle pivots on the shell, and the pivot axis of the ankle joint proper.

Alternately, you would need a thicker sole, and that adds stack height.

If you want to make a boot fully flex-tunable across a wide temperature range, the base shell articulation needs to be 'invisible'. Which is to say, the user shouldn't feel any restriction from the plastic/liner. This is highly dependent on how well the synthetics match up with the organics.

Start moving stuff around to accommodate what amounts to a feature of convenience, and you might wind up with a breach in the hull, so to speak.

As Keyser suggests, leave well enough alone. If the boots need further refinement, a wider user base will provide better direction than mere conjecture on the part of those who have never ridden a pair.

Is the only benefit of Intec that, instead of bending all the way down to reach the toe bail, you have a mildly, albeit, inconsequentially more "convenient" experience of reaching to a pulley system at the boot cuff, and stepping back in?

Hi Seb

Why don't racers use step ins?

Do step in bindings transmit more vibrations then standard toe bail bindings?

Thanks for any insights here.

Cheers

Rob

I would love to see a video of someone carpet carving a pair of racetuned Northwaves with various degrees of tuning from the spring system, ideally from no springs at all, through a range of tensions up to as tight as possible. I would like to see the boot being flexed forward and back from both sides and front and back, to see how the range of movement available and how much deformation of the foot shell occurs. That would give us a much better idea of the performance characteristics of the boot and what people might want to emulate in their modification and tuning of other boot models.

Hi Respiritu

Is the only benefit of Intec that, instead of bending all the way down to reach the toe bail, you have a mildly, albeit, inconsequentially more "convenient" experience of reaching to a pulley system at the boot cuff, and stepping back in?

The advantage of a step in binding, for ECers, FreeCarvers and racers, is a shorter overall boot length.

My thinking was that the FreeCarvers and EC guys with a big foot would be able to use a narrower board, less leverage on the ankle, and not boot out.

For a racer my guess was that the shorter boot length would result in a narrower board, less leverage on the ankle, quicker edge to edge transitions (1000ths of a second) and also still not boot out.

For me personally, lateral movement would trump all these factors

If the only advantage is not bending over, then I agree that this is not reason enough to change the NW's.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Respiritu

The advantage of a step in binding, for ECers, FreeCarvers and racers, is a shorter overall boot length.

My thinking was that the FreeCarvers and EC guys with a big foot would be able to use a narrower board, less leverage on the ankle, and not boot out.

For a racer my guess was that the shorter boot length would result in a narrower board, less leverage on the ankle, quicker edge to edge transitions (1000ths of a second) and also still not boot out.

For me personally, lateral movement would trump all these factors

If the only advantage is not bending over, then I agree that this is not reason enough to change the NW's.

Cheers

Rob

Gotchya, thanks for the explanation! Seems like a reasonable concern.. My angles are not overly aggressive, but when I was first starting out I had some drag problems... I ride 28.5s which isn't huge, but is enough of a deterrent to keep me away from ski boots with a longer sole.

• 4 weeks later...
Imagine this situation: you are coasting along on the flats and running out of steam. With stepins, you pull your handle, skate along until the slope steepens enough to coast, then step in on the move. No need to stop or lose speed at any point. Or coming off the lift, again a couple of kicks to clear the ramp, step in on the fly and gone. If you ride with skiers like I often do, no more impatient people.