Note to New Members ×

Nakiska Expression Session (NES) 2014 - January 10-12

Riceball

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it outside looking very, very lonely. Once I was sure I wouldn't be tackled by some out of province owner I brought it into the Admin office. It's under your name. If you don't expect to make it out any time soon I can probably bring it back for you.

I found it outside looking very, very lonely. Once I was sure I wouldn't be tackled by some out of province owner I brought it into the Admin office. It's under your name. If you don't expect to make it out any time soon I can probably bring it back for you.

Whew, that's awesome. Thank you very much! I wouldn't have noticed it until the weekend as everything is still in the back of the truck.

right on i took a few videos of the seminar and like 3 pics but i didn't noticed that when i bought a new micro sd card it was different from my original and i can watch it on my POV camera but my computer cant see it and wants to format and erase the drive. so as of this moment i don't know if the footage worked or not. glad to see a lost board is being returned to its rightful owner.

That was a ton of fun as usual! My legs hurt for some reason though... LOL! See you all next year, except for the lucky few that are going to SES in a few weeks.

Here is the video of my intermediate clinic from SES last year:

www.youtube.com/embed/U8WCcie09Q0

Prerequisites: skidded turns, carved turns in both directions.

And the steeps clinic for the advanced riders that are struggling with speed control:

www.youtube.com/embed/OCE8hH5j5Ws

If you watch both, you'll notice a lot of overlap.

Willy, those clinics are going to be a bit much for you right now. We need to get you comfortable skidding first! Learn to do the 'falling leaf' pattern on both edges, then the skidded turns that every snowboarder needs to learn. Google "how to snowboard" and take a beginner lesson. Ignore the crap the instructor will give you for riding hardboots. They may tell you all kinds of stuff about how much 'race' boards suck, but stick through it. Consider this to be walking, while carving is running. You need to be able to walk before you can run! Don't even try to do anything related to carving until you can skid turns.

The best carvers in the world still need to break into a skidded turn when things don't go perfectly. You NEED this ability before you can carve.

Then move on to these articles: http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

will do, so far the falling leaf i can do both heel and toe edge, but linking turns continuously not so good. skidding i can do both edges, i definitely know the the info in the links are much too advanced for me, i just like to have that info for the future when i get to that stage. I've been just trying to figure out why i could only link 3 turns before skidding out.

You're most welcome. It was great to see it get a little bit bigger again this year and see some new attendees. I think at one point we had 18+ carvers on the hill. If anyone has any ideas to make the weekend better or promote the event more, let me know. I have already been asked to approach YYZ Canuck and Bomber for some sponsorship stuff to give away.

Would Nakiska let you put up a poster or promote it via the website? I was surprised to see several people there on hard gear who weren't part of the festivities or even aware.

Yes, that's probably doable. I also failed to get the event in their calendar this year. Although last year they couldn't figure out how to get it into their Event Calendar for multiple days so it was only advertised for the Friday.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I've started thinking about carving gates recently. No idea why. Just wanting to know how fast I can go down something where I don't have a choice on where to turn.

This would require a bunch of work but it might be interesting to have an afternoon session of brush gate racing. It wouldn't need to be a parallel course but maybe a single course for people to run on one of the days? Alternately if you want this more carvey-oriented maybe a Russian Extreme Slalom? Though with the poles there is more chance of injuries over just the brushes though.

Perhaps some of the guys from the CSC could help with this. While I've got no experience setting courses I'd happily give up my time to help someone set this and tear it down.

Dave

You definitely would want to talk to CSC. There are issues of hill space ($$), setting gates (coach certification required) and insurance (may have to belong to insured association) that suddenly appear. Not a problem, but steps to be taken. CSC has an interest in promoting alpine generally, maybe a masters (beer) league? Regardless, there is a set of snowboard gates along the terrain park available to all who sign the waiver. Who knows what a hill would go for in the spring as well.

Not the perspective of an ace carver, but I've been involved with some provincial and national telemark races.

Edited by wantok

I tried this a couple of years back when the national B team (I think) was at COP. I had to buy a membership and pay entrance for two runs, I think it ended up at about $100. There was no interest in welcoming me to "racing", no one talked to me and I had to chase down Freddy to get some idea of what was going on. Too bad for them, I would have been happy to volunteer for future stuff like set up, tear down etc, but I guess they are only interested in kids with rich parents that they can suck money out of. Then Mark Ballard friended me on Linkedin, WTF?

Hey all, your softboot Virus riding friend here (I was out with you guys last year)... Well this year I started patrolling at Nakiska, and I've seen several of you there on the lifts. If you see a patroller on a Virus, say hi!

So as I was reading through the 2010 manual, I came across this picture: looks like a couple of you guys from 2010!

post-11977-1418424112_thumb.jpg