Note to New Members ×

body armour

ARCrider

Who rides with armour?

A collision Sunday has me reconsidering full back protection.

I was hit from right rear by a straightlining teen. Only warning I had was a collective gasp from the chairlift gallery above me. I felt fine immediately following the collision but am nursing some bruised muscles now. Glad its not any worse. The teen took the worst of it. I was low and anchored with gforce in midtrench. My wife said he looked like he had hit a brick wall. total yardsale, hat goggles and gloves even. I almost felt sorry for him while I watched him stagger about collecting his gear.

I'm trying to remain fit and injury free as SES approaches and this happens. Makes me wonder about protective armour.

Sucks to be hit from behind. It's one of my constant fears...

I ride with a helmet and wrist guards only, but had an interesting experience 3 days ago.

On the first turn at the top of a black run, my rear boot released from my step-ins (user error - I hadn't clicked in properly), and in the resulting fall the edge of my board sliced into my arm. It went through my waterproof jacket, fleece, and 2 layers of thermals, and then deep into my arm near the elbow, almost to the bone. I didn't realize it had cut me until after I had started riding away and then felt a terrible wetness pooling in my jacket.

The ski patrol were next to useless - they just bandaged it up whereas it really needed a couple of stitches. I later used some of that gee-whiz surgical glue to glue the wound together. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, it made me realize what a dangerous weapon a sharpened edge is. Some body armour might be a good idea, if only to protect me from myself!

We have some motorcycle back protectors that work well, just strap on and you forget they're even there. The manufacturer has long since departed due to litigation in the US, so the only good stuff I see now is Dainese out of Italy. They have a nice back protector/kidney belt, go for the longer versions that protect the tailbone as compared to the 6 segment "shortys". Definitely good protection, and not uncomfortable at all.

I freeride with body armor all the time. I have had similar experiences with people running into me and have also found that some of my falls in the back country have been a lot less painfull thanks to my body armor. I would recomend the Dainese Gilet Space, DAINESE BOARDER X JACKET 1, or waistcoats...the shield protectors are nice, but the vests or jackets work better for me. I am currently using the BX JACKET and love the fact that I can remove the arm inserts. Here is a link for the racers edge in colorado (they have a lot of the stuff on sale in their specials section).

http://www.aracersedge.com/myProducts.cfm?CFID=12037273&CFTOKEN=66307826&CategoryID=17|Specials%20and%20Outlets&filterFor=&startrow=1

speed is your friend...

Baka-

not for nothing, but Ski Patrollers are not doctors. they are there to administer First Aid only...as in bandage to control bleeding. Fromn there it is your responsibility to determine if you need to see a doctor. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to be stitched up by ski patrol...Imagine the scar that they would probably leave....

(patrollers - don't be offended by this post, when we get hurt, you get us down...thanks)

Dainese shuttle has a couple issues though. Their biggest size is xl. I know after a day of DH one can see the mesh imprinted on my skin. heh heh.

Bob, any hints on keeping those suits clean? They don't quite work in the washer. My buddy likes to shower wearing them with detergent, which isn't quite appealing either.

Originally posted by ncermak

Baka-

not for nothing, but Ski Patrollers are not doctors. they are there to administer First Aid only...as in bandage to control bleeding. Fromn there it is your responsibility to determine if you need to see a doctor. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to be stitched up by ski patrol...Imagine the scar that they would probably leave....

(patrollers - don't be offended by this post, when we get hurt, you get us down...thanks)

Wow, someone defending the ski patrol, I like it. If it was me, I would bandage you up and definitely recommend you to see a doctor. To be honest, we arent even supposed to remove slivers and other objects, but we can deliver a baby if needed!

Guest Randy S.

I wear protection all the time. I wear a Dainese Shiled Air 6 for regular riding and a Dainese Slalom jacket for racing. I also wear Red padded pants for my hips unless its a full-on powder day. I got hit hard last season in very similar circumstances to those you describe. Except I was hit by a full-size adult skier going very fast (he was passing me for crying out loud). I think that my helmet and the Dainese jacket saved me from more serious harm. As it was, it rung my bell.

You can find the back protectors at a good motorcycle shop. The only place I've seen the SL jacket is from Blue Tomato.

Randy

Hey guys,

The protector stuff makes all sense in the world in the backcountry or if you fall on a piece of ice with your back. But the main issue when you carve is skiers (and snowboarders) who can hit your head or spine at high speeds. I don´t think that type of gear can do very much if you get hit sideways from a skier doing 40-50 miles per hour then you at the same time carry almost the same speed across the falline.

I was inches from getting hit in the head this christmas by a skier bombing the hill. For sure a helmet is a good thing - I use it always - but my neck would probably have snapped if he had ran into me on a heelside just before changing direction.

People who don´t carve havent got the imagination to forsee our movement pattern going across the slope in high speed.

Bottomline - avoid crowded slopes and always look up and ride in Buttermilk;-)

Or maybee Im wrong...

Just talk to the DH riders at Mtn creek or Plattekill. They'll know which shops to go to for the stuff. I think the shop i got mine from was in NJ.

I got their last shuttle suit though. woot!

Interesting if this trend will continue. Sweet (the Norwegian company) has a back support that looks like a fairly light exo-skeleton type of thing:

http://sweetprotection.com/

It weighs about a pound and looks like a nifty piece of support equipment. I love their helmets -- got one for boarding and one for kayaking, both are very light and feel super sturdy.

tom.

Originally posted by Fleaman

If it was me, I would bandage you up and definitely recommend you to see a doctor. To be honest, we arent even supposed to remove slivers and other objects, but we can deliver a baby if needed!

Maybe expecting ski patrol to stitch up a cut was expecting a bit much, but I at least expected they would have some paper stitches or some skin glue (available over-the-counter here) to stop the wound gaping open. The bandage they put on didn't even stop the bleeding properly. I could have done a better job with a couple of bandaids. I was surprised at how ill-prepared they were for an injury like that.

Perhaps the ski patrol are better trained/prepared in North America than in Japan.

I was also interested in the Dainese protective gear, but it was too expensive. I ended up getting a Rock Gardn Flak Jacket that was made for mountain biking. Check it out at this site.

Flak Jacket

I bought the flak jacket at a local shop for $140.

I've used it for 6 days now and it is comfortable. I forget that I'm wearing it. The coldest weather I've used it in so far was only around 25 deg F (-4 C).

I also wear hockey shorts under my snowboard pants. The hockey shorts have a lot more padding than snowboard specific padded shorts.

I haven't had a good slam yet to test the flak jacket, and hopefully I won't need to test it. But I have fell on some rails in the snowboard park and the hockey shorts definately saved my butt. The hockey shorts also helped when I've tried EC turns and I've lost an edge and slid out on my hip. Before someone asks, I DON'T use the same board for the park and carving.

I also use the hockey shorts whenever I go skateboarding in pools and halfpipes.

all those body armour back protectors look great, and prolly help in a collision.

Unfortunatly the back injuries I've experianced carver were those where i ended up going one way, when the board was hooked up in a carve the other way.

No fun to twist around enough at a high speed where one's ribs knock the wind out of oneself.

I'd be more worried about the other person in a collision. Us carvers tend to be hunched over and less upright than skiers or normal softboot riders.

Like an offensive football player ready to cause pain to all oncomers.

Now ya'll want to wear body armor. I pity the skier that isn't follow the code. They are in for some trouble.

• 1 month later...
Guest zurfer

Wow - guys this was a great discussion. I am looking at some protection. How many have successfully used Hockey pants?

I saw one psot and they sound good.

What about Burton Impact Pants or the less expensive Pro-tec IPS Hip Pad,

http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/PRO0014/Pro-tec-IPS-Hip-Pad.html?mv_pc=r108&CP=MSNShop&CMP=SPC-MSNShop&ATT=snowboardnecessities&GCID=C14196x005&keyword=snowboardnecessities

any comments would be great. I am concerned about the hips and back. Got the wrists covered.

thanks,

Mark